U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 AM

469 posts, read 1,010,185 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I live in Knoxville, TN and I'm looking to take a day trip over to western NC this weekend or MLK day to get my snow ski fix in. I absolutely love to ski, but don't get the opportunity as often as I'd like. It looks as though this weekend will be a perfect opportunity though. I've been to these resorts when I was younger, but can't remember the specifics of either one. I'm wondering which is better for an intermediate skier looking for long blues and blacks. Terrain and moguls aren't my thing, I just love getting some speed and tossing powder around. Also, what is the best deal for rentals or discounted lift tix in the area.

Thanks a ton,

Calvin
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 63,681 times
I was wondering the same thing. Beech seems to have better prices if you go on a weekday rather than the weekend. Sugar seems to have a few more runs, but is also more expensive. They both look pretty good to me but I'm leaning towards Beech simply because of price.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM

442 posts, read 1,374,211 times
I read that they had recently remodeled and enlarged Wolf Ridge - wouldn't that be closest to TN? Have fun - lots of snow there these days!!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM

469 posts, read 1,010,185 times
I've never heard of wolf ridge, but I'll check it out

Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM

905 posts, read 3,153,990 times
Avid skier here and have been skiing 36 years. When I ski in NC I always choose Beech over Sugar. The #1 reason is, Beech has a high speed lift to get you to the top. Sugar may have more slopes but Beech has more skiable terrain. I can't stand to ride those pokey old lifts at Sugar.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 PM

4,030 posts, read 7,147,469 times
To each his own ... I am an avid skier of 30+ years and I prefer Sugar over Beech. I like the longer runs at Sugar. BTW, according to each mtn's own web site, Sugar has 115 skiable acres, and Beech has 95 skiable acres.

So far conditions are great this year with all the natural snow and cold weather, but if the conditions are ever marginal, it seems to me that Sugar tends to have the edge on its competition in the snowmaking and grooming departments.

One word of advice... DON'T GO ON MLK OR PRESIDENTS' WEEKENDS. The crowds are always horrendous. It is NOT a fun experience. Also, if you have to ski on a weekend, there's no such thing as a discount lift ticket.

To address your other comments/questions... while Sugar has a couple of fun black slopes (Tom Terrific & Whoopdedoo), there is no such thing as a "long" black in NC. The closest truly long black run in the South is at Snowshow in WV.

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but because crowds tend to be heavy and terrain is somewhat limited, most of the NC mtns tend to discourage really fast skiing. Most of the time, as long as you ski in control and don't buzz anyone closely, especially small children and obvious novices, the ski patrol will probably leave you alone (this coming from the wife of a long-time ski patroller). However, the patrol tends to crack down on speeders and reckless skiers on really crowded weekends.

As for ski rentals, there are two schools of thought... 1) If you rent in your own hometown, you can get a good boot fit without being rushed, however, if you have equipment failure at the mtn, you're SOL. 2) If you rent close to the mtn or on the mtn, it will likely be more hectic, but you have the backup of immediate replacement equipment if you have a problem. Your best bet is Alpine Ski Center (alpineskicenter.com) which has locations in Knoxville, Banner Elk (at the entrance to Sugar), and on Beech Mtn. You can probably find cheaper rentals, but cheaper is not always better.

Have Fun!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM

4,030 posts, read 7,147,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I can't stand to ride those pokey old lifts at Sugar.
maybe you mean "ole" instead of "old". Sugar replaced its Big Red lift this past summer, and did a major overhaul of its Yellow (Flying Mile) and Green (Big Birch) lifts within the past 3-5 years. No they're not high speed, but they're not old either. To me, the only thing the high speed lift at Beech accomplishes is dumping more people more quickly into a small area. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM

905 posts, read 3,153,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
maybe you mean "ole" instead of "old". Sugar replaced its Big Red lift this past summer, and did a major overhaul of its Yellow (Flying Mile) and Green (Big Birch) lifts within the past 3-5 years. No they're not high speed, but they're not old either. To me, the only thing the high speed lift at Beech accomplishes is dumping more people more quickly into a small area. But that's just my opinion.
Thanks for the update on Sugar, I had no idea they installed new lifts.

I will still drive another 15 minutes further to get to Beech! I can ski 2-3 runs @ Beech for every 1 @ Sugar. As for dumping more people more quickly into a small area: no issue for me as I would never ski NC on a Saturday or Sunday.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM

370 posts, read 949,410 times
I have been skiing for a long time as well and I like all the ski resorts. It is just awesome to ski these runs, their fast, groomed, for the most part friendly and easily accessible. I also ski Tahoe every year and it is hard to beat heavenly or squaw Valley, but you should have a wonderful experience at any of the slopes around here. My only suggestion would be drop all gear off at the door and leave someone to watch it while you go park. This will be the first year that we ski appalachian. I will let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina