Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times

Advertisements

Omg!!!!! What??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
To be fair traffic in Boone is just plain horrible, and the town's repeated insistence on doing repairs to King St during rush hour doesn't help.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
OMG.....NEVER did I plan on a move to the mountains to find what I had at home (Florida) I drove thru Boone to get to my county and there were traffic lights and big box stores.....honest...I elimanated those towns! I felt like I was on Federal Highway in Florida only instead of beaches I was surrounded by mountains....don't try to change anything cause some of us LOVE it the way it is.....I LOVE COUNTRY ROADS....OMG...if you do decide to move here....I hope that is what you are looking for! IMO...Asheville is a city in the mountains...if that is what you want..COOL BEANS...you'll find it! I wanted the Country!!!!!! I LOVE IT! PLEASE!!!!! LET ME BE...
I love country roads as well. If you are driving up from Asheville to Boone, take Hwy. 221 North, however, it is a very curvy road so if you get car sick, you may not want to choose this way. It is designated a scenic hwy. There are small waterfalls you can see from the road the closer to Blowing Rock you are. This comes out to Blowing Rock. We live off of this road not far from where my husbands ancestors settled in the pioneer days. I take the parkway when it is open. There are old mountain country roads leading up to the mountains everywhere if you know where they are. There is a book called, Traveling the back roads of Western North Carolina. Two roads from Hwy 321 from Hickory or Lenior are the old Globe road or Samson Road. Wouldn't recommend trying these roads unless someone local takes you the first time. My old mountain man will not let me drive down Samson by myself. Badwolf, these are the roads we call Deliverance country. These are beautiful and dirt. When we were kids, we would drive down Samson, and at that time, a million years ago, you had to drive through creeks. I hear they have built bridges now. The Globe is fun to drive but can be confusing.There are not many signs. My husband's dad used to preach in a little church down in this valley. Two other roads off of 221 are called Edgemont and Pilot. Fun, steep, and kind of scary because they go straight down the mountain and are dirt. I would recommend all wheel drive vehicles on some of these country roads. There are more roads like this all over the mountain. Get a 4wheel drive, or an Outback like so many of us have and try some of them out. It is an adventure.

Last edited by Catbirds; 02-08-2011 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
I LOVE 221 from Grandfather to Blowing Rock! I don't get car sick but sadly EVERYONE who drives w/ me does. I have that book "Backroads" and it's wonderful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina