Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about any tornadoes in the Murphy / Hayesville area. I have a daughter down there and she has called me freaking out. I know they're under a warning, and there have been rumors of funnel sitings, but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
Default Uh oh . . . A'ville/WNC under Tornado Watch

Here's the link about this afternoon's watch:

Showers today in Asheville area; sunny Tuesday | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

I don't know if anything will pop up. However, I'm wondering if any of the long-time residents of WNC have ever seen one in the region.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post

Showers today in Asheville area; sunny Tuesday | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

I don't know if anything will pop up. However, I'm wondering if any of the long-time residents of WNC have ever seen one in the region.
I haven't seen one before. Although I do remember back in 1997 or so, I lived here for a short while and was over on Merrimon Avenue when we got the word of a tornado warning. I remember the sky turned green and luckily I was at a friend's home so we were able to get to the basement. But what struck me most was that the warning sirens went off. They were coming from every conceivable direction. I didn't know Asheville even had warning sirens

It seems that I heard somewhere once before that if a tornado touched down here in Asheville it would do twice as much damage than in a city that had a flat terrain. I don't know how true that is, as I'm no meterologist, but it kind of makes sense.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
I wouldn't freak too much. We tend to have warnings a few times a year. Nothing ever really comes from them.
There was a really really strong gust of wind last year that did some damage to warehouses on riverside dr. I can't remember what they call it meteorologically though, some kind of supercell or something? It was just shy of an actual tornado.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Nah, just heavy rain over here and a few thunder dunders, a minor flash or two of lightening. Hurts the dogs ears though. We've been told by a local weather guru that the mix in layers of cool air and warm air don't develop in the mountains like they do in flat areas. We're not in tornado alley folks, and the rain is great for the rhubarb.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM

I know that Asheville and some of the other areas were / still are under watches ( I'm in one of those counties), but I heard rumors that one actually touched down between Murphy and Hayesville. I've been in WNC forever and have never seen one, but have heard the weathermen say conditions could be right maybe a time or two.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
No tornado around me. However, there was a little lightening and apparently a house was hit not too far away. The FD was called out, but I don't know about any big deal with it.

Otherwise, not much happened with this fast moving storm.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post

Lived here 6+ decades, and there have been perhaps 6 confirmed tornadoes in the mountains, in that time, and nothing like the ones that hit in the plains, leaving nothing but the concrete slab.

We were also under a "watch" not a warning, which is issued when weather conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorms to produce tornadoes.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Turns out there was a tornado that day in Hayesville. Thankfully, no one was injured and there was very little damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina