Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,723 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at Lake James for approx a yr with interest in buying a lot for a future second home. We very much like the 1780 subdivision. With Crescent Communites now out of bankrupcy, is 1780 on solid financial footing? Is Camp Lake James going to be funded appropriately to maintain services? Or is this community potentially going to fall victim to the economy?

thanks for any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM

35 posts, read 180,427 times
We looked there too, but it was back when prices were quite high. It's a beautiful spot. I noticed that Camp Lake James is now open to the public (that is, you can buy a membership). That should help keep them solvent. That was the one thing that gave us pause - they have to maintain that nice building, pool, boat launch, snack bar, etc. So the annual assessments were pretty high. Good luck; I'll be watching to see what others say who are more familiar with the area.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM

143 posts, read 368,692 times
From what I've been reading about Crescent Resources, it sounds like they've come out of their restructuring pretty strong and are already planning some new ventures in North Carolina, Tennesse and Texas. It sounds like things are looking up for them.

As EvanstonGirl mentioned, Camp Lake James has been opened to the public and not only can you now get a membership if you don't live there, but they are also offering corporate retreats, cabin rentals and wedding packages. All of these should make a difference when it comes to supporting the infrastructure that they have set up.

In addition to this, the prices of these home sites on Lake James have been cut between 30 and 50 percent, making it a lot more affordable. I've also heard that Crescent is willing to negotiate even lower in some cases.

If Crescent's recent emergence from Chapter 11 still concerns you, there are several other options to buying property on Lake James.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya Donaghy View Post
From what I've been reading about Crescent Resources, it sounds like they've come out of their restructuring pretty strong and are already planning some new ventures in North Carolina, Tennesse and Texas. It sounds like things are looking up for them.

As EvanstonGirl mentioned, Camp Lake James has been opened to the public and not only can you now get a membership if you don't live there, but they are also offering corporate retreats, cabin rentals and wedding packages. All of these should make a difference when it comes to supporting the infrastructure that they have set up.

In addition to this, the prices of these home sites on Lake James have been cut between 30 and 50 percent, making it a lot more affordable. I've also heard that Crescent is willing to negotiate even lower in some cases.

If Crescent's recent emergence from Chapter 11 still concerns you, there are several other options to buying property on Lake James.
If the prices had been what they are today about 6 years ago we would surely have bought there too. To me, the Lake James area is one of the top most beautiful spots in NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina