Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0717ky View Post
we are concerned about the "not from here" element...I find this difficult in Johnston County nc so I worry about encountering it in Asheville area too
We're looking at second homes in the area. I can't imagine a "not from here" attitude in the immediate vicinity of Asheville, but perhaps in some smaller, especially rural (or formerly rural) areas where residents may feel overwhelmed by the influx of outsiders (both young and retirees). Of course, could also depend on how much you fit in with the locals (e.g., politically, culturally, religiously). I agree, you need to go to the area, and drive around, and visit different areas, plus talk with realtors, and even local builders. Get a feel for where you'd feel comfortable. 15-20 mins. isn't much, especially with Asheville's traffic. We're mainly looking at Hendersonville and Brevard areas (Asheville too high priced for us, though we'd certainly visit it), and they're further away. As noted, the cost of utilities, zoning ordinances, and even soil (lots of articles on steep-sloppe building problems), would be important to consider. I'd visit areas at the absolute max distance from Asheville you'd consider (keeping in mind just how often you'd go there, since you wouldn't be commuting for work), and then look closer and closer. We did look at one gated community in the hills just west of Fairview. Didn't see lots for sale. Fairview would have easy access to the Asheville airport, for whatever that's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
Agree With ShipOfFools...No need to Build....there are TONS of nice houses Already forsale, there is one around me that has been Forsale for almost 2yr's....nothing wrong with it that i know of...This is in Haywood county....Im sure there are Many more Here, and Many Many Many More in/around Asheville....

Why do you want to Build?

I agree - there are many nice places for sale. In my neighborhood there are a lot of nice houses for sale but no buyers. You won't be getting the 2-4 acres, but you'll get 1/2-1.5 acres and a nice home.

I would buy a house for now while the market is down. You said $140 is your range for a "lot" so I would assume you have a good amount of cash down. You could get into a nice home and use that money to put down on the house. Sit on the house until the market recovers (prob 2-3 years) and flip it then buy a lot - or buy a house and then search for a lot to build on later and once you flip the house then start building on your lot.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
I am amazed that after what the housing market has been through, and is still going through, that anyone would suggest flipping a house as an option. If there's one thing we should have learned by now, it's that real estate is not a very liquid source of money.

I also think a recovery in 2 to 3 years is optimistic to say the least. The market isn't really "down" if you consider that values are returning to realistic levels after years of being artificially pumped up.

I wouldn't consider buying a house I didn't think I could live in for a very long time. Better to go with the assumption it will be difficult to sell, than plan on it and not be able to.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,858 times
You might try looking in the Weaverville area north of Asheville. It is a very nice small town with friendly people, a great main street for walking, several good restaurants, nature park and library. We have been here 8 years (live outside of town in county) and found it easy to become a part of the community both in our immediate neighborhood and in town proper. There are some subdivisions that may have acreage and at the moment a number of homes in various price ranges for sale.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
I also think, 2-3 years sounds very optimistic. My estimate would be 5-7 years

we had planned to build a house in the asheville area - for many reasons we did not do it and are quite happy with the decision. there are SO many houses sitting empty, I am convinced there is at least ONE, you can make yours

we moved here in July 2011 and - seriously - we've met so many nice people, it is actually hard to keep up with all the contacts.
if there are people who don't like us as transplants, they at least did not show it.
we live in an older neighborhood in south asheville (within city limits though), some neighbors moved here from somewhere else, some have been living here for 40+ years.

have you heard of the phenomenon of "self fulfilling prophecy" ? I sometimes think, if you expect something difficult, it might turn out difficult, if you think, it will all be ok, it eventually will

I was SO looking forward to our new chapter in life and I have not been disappointed at all.
we live close to everything and it's unbelievable quiet. we don't have a one million view, but whenever I go somewhere (even Lowes or Target), drive on the parkway, stroll through downtown, spend time at school .... I feel SO blessed to be able to live here.
I am convinced Asheville will be treating you well, if you do so

good luck with everything !

Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Or go a lot further out to get a few acres; maybe out in Murphy NC or Clyde NC etc. where you might find something for $50K an acre.
I don't know anything about Clyde, but I've lived in Murphy and still go there. Land in Murphy does not average $50k an acre unless you are talking about commercial land. It's way more reasonable than that.

I suggest the OP begin with real estate searches online for land.

But if the OP was willing to go to Murphy, I'd suggest Hayesville instead because the school system there is fabulous and the land is prettier. It's just east of Murphy.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,858 times
I totally agree with the comment that people here are very friendly. It took no time at all for us to find friends. People have moved to the mountains from all over and I am always amazed at how often I meet someone from a place I've lived before. The local people I have met are also very nice and do not seem to resent us newbies. But often people respond to how you treat them so avoid saying "Well where I come from" too many transplants start off with that approach. I too feel that sense of being so grateful to live here especially when driving to Asheville down the Blue Ridge Parkway and think Oh. this is amazing I get to drive down this fantastic road to go to town. Wow life is tough..... Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and enjoys the wonderful weather we are having this weekend!!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,073 times
Hey (southerners say hey mostly, not hi),

i did what you are doing in the 90's and my children are southerners for life (we chose Carrboro/Chapel Hill). I have suggestions for you, from personal experience.

Please do all of yourselves and other transplants a favor. If you are going there to change it, to impose northern values on the southern ones, or planning to put another monstrosity of a house in a rural setting, please don't. It isn't CT and you may think you are excited for a change -- but please go down with an open mind and loving spirit. I've watched and cringed, listening to northern transplants give us all a bad name with their complaining and need to change things to suit their "ideals".

Only buy when you know the area. We bought after a year lease and we still would have lived elsewhere had we known better (looking back). Older neighborhoods are the best (I think)and are the best places to raise children! Funny story: up north nobody likes brick ranches and we passed up several of them when we were buying with noses in the air... Down there, they make sense for the weather and resources. My ideas all changed after living there for nine years. I'd check out Zillow and rent a house that's already there while you decide on the ideal place to live. Guaranteed - if you live there for a year OR TWO and then decide where to land, you will be better off.

Enjoy your life and your journey! Life is amazing, isn't it? Change is good.

FYI: I'm heading back to NC soon (after moving back north to be near aging parents for 7 years) and am thinking of living in Mars Hill, 20 mins from Asheville, where my grandchild/one of my children is). Any feedback on that? If you hear of any great jobs for a right and left brainier, let me know (I'm a hard working, kind, mature, computer-savvy, former gallery owner, museum administrator, multi-media marketing, property manager, sales rep, let me know). I, too, need work in the Asheville area.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't know anything about Clyde, but I've lived in Murphy and still go there. Land in Murphy does not average $50k an acre unless you are talking about commercial land. It's way more reasonable than that.

I suggest the OP begin with real estate searches online for land.

But if the OP was willing to go to Murphy, I'd suggest Hayesville instead because the school system there is fabulous and the land is prettier. It's just east of Murphy.

Of course raw land, undeveloped, etc. will be cheaper. Ready to build land is definitely a lot more expense than people realize because ready to build already includes: paved roads, proper drainage, proper grading, proper surveys, septic system approvals (regular septic plus reserve septic field required now), public water in some cases, utility poles or underground utilities. In other words, ready to go.

These amenities are very costly unless someone plans to buy an acre for $25K and spend the $$$$ to make it buildable and bring all the above in to the lot.

AND, this is an old thread, from 2011.... but the advice still stands for current construction in the event it helps someone else. Additionally, in the interim, the OP has decided not to buy property in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina