Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 43,895 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are looking to relocate to Asheville and build a house there. We are wondering where near or in Asheville would be best to raise a family and have 2-4 acres of land. We are looking at Fairview and Candler, all around Asheville. It seems that a lot in a nice subdivision in Asheville is way above our budget (we want to spend no more than $140k for at least 2-3 acres). Does anyone have suggestions on nice subdivisions whitin 15-20 min of Asheville that might be in our price?

Also, if anyone has great suggestion for a builder there, we would be very thankful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinemiami View Post
Hi,
We are looking to relocate to Asheville and build a house there. We are wondering where near or in Asheville would be best to raise a family and have 2-4 acres of land. We are looking at Fairview and Candler, all around Asheville. It seems that a lot in a nice subdivision in Asheville is way above our budget (we want to spend no more than $140k for at least 2-3 acres). Does anyone have suggestions on nice subdivisions whitin 15-20 min of Asheville that might be in our price?

Also, if anyone has great suggestion for a builder there, we would be very thankful.

Thank you!
You won't be getting 2 to 4 acres in any subdivision, unless of course you find "estate size" parcels which can go close to $1million if flat or rolling land with very restrictive covenants. It's possible to get existing home choices in subdivisions with a 1/2 acre lot approx. You need to contact an Asheville Realtor who can give you specifics on prices in this area. Or go a lot further out to get a few acres; maybe out in Murphy NC or Clyde NC etc. where you might find something for $50K an acre. Remember, if you want undeveloped land, you will have to bring water to the land (most likely a well), utilities and a septic system according to mountain rules of building.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM

5 posts, read 43,895 times
Thank you for your response...not what I wanted to hear of course...What about Fairview? Looking online at least it seems there's hundreds of lots available, some in subdivisions for the price we are willing to pay - but maybe the areas where the lots are are not a good investement? Is Fairview a nice town? I understand there is not much of a town center but any feedback on life and school there would be appreciated!
Thank you!!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
You need to move this to the WNC thread.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Moderator note
Thread relocated from state forum

Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinemiami View Post
Thank you for your response...not what I wanted to hear of course...What about Fairview? Looking online at least it seems there's hundreds of lots available, some in subdivisions for the price we are willing to pay - but maybe the areas where the lots are are not a good investement? Is Fairview a nice town? I understand there is not much of a town center but any feedback on life and school there would be appreciated!
Thank you!!
You said 2 to 4 acres --- that is acreage, not "lots". You should investigate your search with a Realtor within a radius of the Asheville area if that is where you want to be; good buildable land is hard to find here. Have you been to NC often enough to decide that this is where you want to build? Do you need a job? Don't come here at all if you don't have employment.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
You will be hard pressed to find that kind of land in Fairview for that price. Fairvew is not a town, it is a suburb of asheville, and has two or three mediocre restaurants, a grocery store, and a gas station. It also has gotten a "ritzy" reputation lately so everyone with money tends to flock there these days.

I'm guessing the number you listed price wise is just land? Don't forget most cases the land has nothing done to it, including water, sewer, and making it buildable aka elevation changes.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
First of all, Quilter is right, don't come here without employment arranged PRIOR to setting foot on Asheville soil. This is one of the worst places you could imagine to find a job.

Second of all, why are you coming here and building a house? In my opinion, that's wasteful (both resources-wise and money-wise) because there are TONS of houses here that you could scoop up. If you are in a position to buy - which you seem to be - and you have a bit of patience, you can find a deal that will blow you away. For instance, my friend lives on 6 acres in Leicester in a nice 4-bedroom house; he pays $900/month for rent, which is CHEEEEAP. He had an opportunity to buy the house for, get this, $100,000, if he had had the money for the down payment. Unfortunately for him, everything fell through, and he didn't have the money anyway, but what I'm saying is don't come here and build. Buy a pre-existing house. That is my opinion. It will save you money, it will save resources, and you will not scar up another piece of beautiful WNC land.

This is all just my $.02, which may be worth nothing to you, and I know it's not what you wanted to hear. But seriously, coming to a town like Asheville and building a new house is just not a good idea, IMO. There are some great deals to be had, now get out there and find one!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Double ditto.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Agree With ShipOfFools...No need to Build....there are TONS of nice houses Already forsale, there is one around me that has been Forsale for almost 2yr's....nothing wrong with it that i know of...This is in Haywood county....Im sure there are Many more Here, and Many Many Many More in/around Asheville....

Why do you want to Build?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina