Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times

Advertisements

I cannot recall if I have ever gone up to Boone or Blowing Rock in my life. If I have, it must have been eons ago.

I do know Blowing Rock offers Tweetsie Railroad and Boone has Appalachian State University. I like to know if there are any other atttractions and activities to consider during the spring and summer seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM

24 posts, read 62,976 times
The area offers too many things to mention in one posting. If you like the outdoors- there is unlimited hiking and camping, tons of shopping and places to eat. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through the area and that in itself opens up a wide range of activities. Enjoy!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I cannot recall if I have ever gone up to Boone or Blowing Rock in my life. If I have, it must have been eons ago.

I do know Blowing Rock offers Tweetsie Railroad and Boone has Appalachian State University. I like to know if there are any other atttractions and activities to consider during the spring and summer seasons.

It's worth the trip up just to see Grandfather Mountain!

GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN : Wonders Never Cease

Even if you don't want to hike (and there are some awesome trails) you can do a nature walk, cross the mile high swinging bridge, see the animals in the habitat there (which is like a little zoo) and just enjoy the scenry.

Head south on the Parkway a few miles from Grandfather Mt to visit Linville Gorge. Again, if you don't want to do a real hike you can take a nice walk in the woods to an overlook to see the gorge. http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com...illegorge.html

While in the area, visit the famous Mast General Store: http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/

Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 AM

188 posts, read 596,876 times
I guess I failed miserably finding places to go in this area....... I live like 5 miles away from Master General Store. I drove pass Valley Crucis on a cloudy Saturday, didn't find Master General Store(I went on 194 to 105 and came back to Boone, how could I possibly miss it???).......
I went to Grandfather mountain with some friends years ago, just drove to the parking lot, got on the bridge and went back...... Actually that was totally boring....... I guess that's not the right way of hiking....... or I just can't enjoy it......
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
And one thing to note is cellphone coverage in this area is pretty bad, so get prepared and don't expect to use cellphone for emergence.......

Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
If you haven't done it, I rec'd a half day of zip lining at:
Scream Time Ziplines, Boone, NC, Canopy Tours, Directions

outside Boone.
And, yes, spend the dough for the optional long end zip.
Good fun and not that strenuous; there were kids doing it in our group.
About 4+ hours 'door to door'.

If you chase the ball, Boone Golf Club is a good track, imo. Tee times available
if you call a few days in advance.
"The" Blowing Rock, on a clear day, is worth a couple hours, tops.

We get to the area every year or so, for the past 10. The Village Inn
is decent, but pricey on weekends.
Village Inn - A Blowing Rock, NC Hotel located close to Blowing Rock Main Street shopping and restaurants (http://www.thevillageinnsofblowingrock.com/village_inn.html - broken link)
GL, mD

Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
Zip line, fishing, kayaking, horseback riding, hiking, antiquing, art fairs, mountain biking...I don't understand how anyone can be bored...I'm here 6 years and NEVER bored.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
Price Lake, Moses Cone, picnic, Turchin Center, Lees McRae, art classes, King Street, shopping, restaurants....WOW...where are you from that is more exciting than the mountains???? LOL!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
Lightbulb Christmas in July in West Jefferson

Christmas in July Festival in West Jefferson, NC - Home

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Don't forget the Highland Games, and not technically in either town but still a must-see- MerleFest.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
Todd's Calendar: the events calendar for the North Carolina high country (Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk)

This is a great resource for keeping up with events in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina