Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,530 times

Advertisements

Glad this has worked out for you, MD. IMO, you have overcome the major hurdle here, employment.

As far as Fletcher, people tend to associate it with what they see from Hendersonville Road. There are some pretty nice areas off the beaten path in Fletcher.

Sorry, I can't help you with the school situation. Like all mules, we mules have no little ones!

Regardless, congratulations on what is a significant achievement here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 19,046 times
Thanks Mule! =)

I'm very pleased that my employment process has gone so well - it went really quickly and really kind of caught us by surprise. A week ago we didn't know what jobs to look at, and this week we know where we're going to be and are trying to find a home. Pretty crazy. Now it's my Fiancee's turn to give the employment thing a shot. We're not in a big rush, but from the sounds of it, starting early is a good thing. She's planning on applying to places this week anyways, so we'll see what happens.

I agree that the back-roads areas are what is nice in Fletcher. Very scenic and quiet. We like it.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Co View Post
By the end, we really decided that we like the area around Fletcher the best, as we kept coming back to that area and were using it for comparison everywhere else we visited. It's got some beautiful views, and has everything that we're used to having nearby. Its also reasonably close to my job and has the Airport shopping within 10-15 minutes or so. We're trying to find something in the Livingston Farms community, and have a few leads so far.
Welcome to the neighborhood! Fletcher has a lot of things going for it.

Fletcher is also a relatively newly incorporated town with some good future prospects. They have a vision for their town that I think bodes well for them as long as they follow through. If you haven't discovered it yet, here's a link to the town website: Town of Fletcher, NC - Home Page

On that website Fletcher has provided relocation info. Here's the link: Town of Fletcher, NC - Relocation Information

Finally, here's the latest Fletcher Newsetter: http://www.fletchernc.org/media/newsletters/April%20%202011%20newsletter%20(3).pdf (broken link)

Good luck on finding your place and again, welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 AM

70 posts, read 219,590 times
Welcome to the neighborhood. Fletcher is awesome. We love it here. Short trip to all stores and still feels like country. We are almost exactly between downtown Asheville and downtown Hendersonville. Short 20 minutes to either one in good weather. We are on the mountain side of 25 up Hoopers Creek road in a cul de sac private street. Easy to get everywhere. If you are on a private street and not a place like Livingston Farms be sure to check if the street is private or city. We did get snow the last few years and private streets have to get plowed out themselves, not a city road. Just good to know. Lots of cool neighborhoods around here we are still finding. Tons to do.
As they already said....you got over the first hurdle...the job market. Congrats and welcome!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM

10 posts, read 19,046 times
Thanks Garth & B.B.F.!

Garth: Thanks for the links. I had visited the Town website for a few things already, but I had missed the newsletter and relocation page. Do you know where I can find the school district zoning map? I haven't found one on the town website or the Henderson County Schools Website.

B.B.F.: Being equally close to both Hendersonville and Asheville was a big plus too. I agree with nearly all of your reasons for liking the area.
You mentioned snow removal, which is one of my questions. Here in Charlotte, it seems that the city owns very little equipment to deal with snow and therefore most everything shuts down when it snows. How is it there in Fletcher/Asheville?

I didn't know since Asheville gets 3x the snow that charlotte does according to some online historical data. Do they use brining and salt in Asheville or do they just plow? I'm so used to Cleveland where they have all the snow equipment in the world to deal with things - few places close up there when it snows unless its really bad! haha.

Also, where can I find a map of which roads are owned by the town or NCDOT? I'm wondering if my main routes to work would be plowed or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina