Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 8,281 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Iredell for about 12 years. I've been to Blowing Rock and Mystery Hill out on the Parkway when I was in middle school, but really haven't been there in a decade. I've recently decided to visit Looking Glass Rock and Looking Glass Falls, but obviously I'm very unfamiliar with the area.

I am curious what is the best time to visit Looking Glass? Now, for me the best time doesn't have to be the warmest or whatever ... don't have to be a certain time of year. When I say best time, I am looking for it to be more private, not so many tourist in your way ... and if possible, wildlife activity. It can be middle of the week or weekend or Monday-middle of the week or whatever.

Also, any fun sites to visit? I've looked for online things around there, be honestly I don't expect those sites to give me anything better than someone who lives aorund the area or visits it frequently to. I'm going to spend the weekend in the Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, Looking Glass Rock area ... looking for a fun, nature filled weekend and to get a good dose of the local activity and culture. Nature, art, music, hiking/walking ... everything welcome.

Good hotel/B&B advice?

Last edited by WVCountryBoy; 03-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: more information
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note
thread relocated from state forum

Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Middle of the week & cloudy days is the best bet for fewer tourists. Hopefully others will chime in rest to answer the rest of your questions.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Looking glass falls is off a main road into and out of brevard so it really is never not crowded. Best time is a weekday in the winter. To see wildlife you need to go north on 276 into pisgah national forest with a 4wd (dirt roads). But even the it is still pretty crowded on the weekends. And of course any wildlife is more active morning and evening, but honestly, there really isn't much around other than birds and squirrels. Maybe a lone deer or some turkeys, MAYBE a coyote or fox. And if you are really lucky, you MIGHT get to see a bear. If you want wildlife your best bet is to head to the smokies. It would probably only take a half hour more than going to brevard would. I think the vast amount of forestry land allows animals to disperse more. I've seen more animals on the parkway around Asheville than anywhere.

But wait, how are you spending a weekend in both blowing rock and looking glass? They are about 3 hours apart highway driving, much longer taking the parkway. It would be smarter to spend a weekend either in the brevard area, or the blowing rock area. You can make hiking at Linville falls, just west of blowing rock, a full day adventure alone. Not to mention other waterfall hikes around there like crabtree falls.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 03-27-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Ah, good point. I didn't realize they were in opposite directions of Morganton. I was planning the on MapQuest and saw they were both within 90 minutes of Morganton (where I'll be leaving from), but didn't even check direction. hahaha Dumb.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Oh haha no worries. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting yourself into. If you do decide to do a brevard weekend, make sure and check out dupont forest: DuPont State Forest totally worth a trip. If you have any other questions ask away here or feel free to send me a DM.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Well, we'll be going to Blowing Rock first. I planned on hitting Mast General Store, Blowing Rock itself (of course), Grandfather Mountain, Linville Caverns and Falls ... anything good and fun that I may be missing or may be unadvertised I should look out for?

Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM

Thanks, by the way, for the heads up. hahaha Probably do a Brevard weekend later this year. Would love the see the looking glass in the Fall, I think.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
to hike Looking Glass Rock don't go in tourist season, it is a very popular trail, but beautiful and well worth it.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVCountryBoy View Post
Thanks, by the way, for the heads up. hahaha Probably do a Brevard weekend later this year. Would love the see the looking glass in the Fall, I think.
Yes fall is the best time! Of course I don't think there is a bad time to be anywhere in NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina