Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,092 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

For the past 5-7 years I've been telling myself and anyone around me that I am done with Chicago winters and its horribly flat land and I need to get out.

I have had many friends move to the west cost and tell me its the place to be, but after visiting them and spending time in California, Oregon and Washington, I realized that although I love the change in scene (i.e. ocean and mountains), I couldn't stand how "fake" most people are. I grew up with Midwestern values, good work ethic, love for family and friends, and being true to the good people around you.

Unfortunately, I am currently going through a divorce and feel like I can use this life shift to really get out and follow my dreams. I now feel like my wings have grown and I can go anywhere I want. Both my boss and my Dad on separate occasions identified Asheville as the place that I would vibe with and in turn, would vibe with me, so I thought, "dang, I better check this place out."

I am an outdoorsy and athletic guy who feels like Asheville has a great deal to offer in life and leisure, but the question is, "can I support myself?"

I know stigma about asking ambiguous questions on forums, so don't hate on me and tell me to do research, cause I am doing plenty. I just want to get all sides because I like to be thorough and not go haphazardly into a life changing event.

So . . . What is the job market like for an experienced Product Designer / Custom Fabricator?

My Dream / grand idea would be to open up a nice Custom Fabrication shop that would specialize in custom motorcycle work. But knowing that Asheville is an artsy town, I would also cater to artists who need assistance with completing projects of any scope. I am traditionally trained in art school, I do have a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree and have had full immersion and collaboration with artists and creatives throughout most of my collegiate and professional career.

I pride myself on what I can do, so I try to learn as much as I possible can to make whatever I want.

Please help me out with whatever you know.

Thank you all!

P's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
mod note
thread relocated from
North Carolina forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina