Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM

215 posts, read 569,494 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend good parts of Asheville to live in that are within a 20 minute walk to downtown, or on a bus route? My mom will be living with us and doesn't drive.
We also have 2 children aged 5 + 7 so good public schools are important.
Also, is there a google earth type map that would show me where houses for sale are PLUS bus routes?! I keep looking at houses online but need a simple way to see if a bus stop is near by!
We like the Kenilworth area (the trees and varied house designs), Montford area (older properties) but not familiar with other areas that may suit.
We are hoping to move there within the next year and have our eye on a couple of businesses for sale.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM

279 posts, read 534,150 times
I'd pick Montford over Kenilworth if you want to walk.

I keep up on the business listings here. Almost all of what I see have been managed badly and you'd have a rough year or two overcoming that.

There are lots of good spaces available if you want to upfit and start from scratch.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
I like both areas a lot and if it was hubby and me, I would have moved there. however with smaller children and many school years to come I would prefer ac reynolds (south east) or TC roberson (south west) of Asheville.

both kenilworth and montford are part of the asheville city schools - which I think (no personal experience yet) are not bad, but there are better choices around.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
I like both areas a lot and if it was hubby and me, I would have moved there. however with smaller children and many school years to come I would prefer ac reynolds (south east) or TC roberson (south west) of Asheville.

both kenilworth and montford are part of the asheville city schools - which I think (no personal experience yet) are not bad, but there are better choices around.
Thanks QofB..
Which are the neighbourhoods that you'd recommend that feed in to the schools you mention, and that are on a bus route to downtown!?
Thanks.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:22 PM

221 posts, read 461,947 times
I wouldn't rule out the Asheville city schools (feeding into Asheville High) - they are actually quite good. I know of a few people living in the county who pay to send their kids to the city schools. Because of the magnet system, you can more or less choose which elementary school you like best. They all have strengths, and at least two are better than most county schools. ACS have access to some government grants because of their Title 1 status, which has gotten them resources (particularly classroom technology) that county schools may not have. Asheville High has a fantastic school-within-a-school called SILSA. And all of the city schools have better diversity than the county schools, if that matters to you. I know there are some on these boards who prefer the county schools, but I wanted to present the other side. If you need to live in city limits, you do have good options!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

143 posts, read 368,833 times
Here are a couple of links that you might find helpful...

Asheville Transit with links to bus route maps Asheville North Carolina

Asheville neighborhood map http://www.ashevillenc.gov/uploadedF...hood%20Map.pdf

Hope this helps...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
one more region to consider, which I liked very much AND is on the bus route is Haw Creek north/east of Asheville (some in, some outside city limits).
they feed into different elementary schools (eg bell), there are two charter schools I would have liked for my children, evergreen and art space.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 AM

Is west Asheville in the city limits?thinking of quality of schooling there compared to other areas? Also, do school buses collect from all over or are there strict routes they travel on? Do charter schools have school buses too? Just thinking of work commitments versus driving children to schools!

If you worked downtown, where would you live and which school would you choose?

Also if you rent a house then move to a different area, say out of city limits can child stay in original school? Just we may rent first, then buy and not fixed on exactly where In Asheville yet.
Thanks.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 AM

221 posts, read 461,947 times
Yes, West Asheville is in the city limits. The closest elementary school there is Vance, but as long as you're in the city you can go to any of the public elementary schools (it's a magnet system, but most people get their first or second choice). There are buses to all of them, and it doesn't matter if you move. If you aren't in the city limits they usually charge a fee to go to city schools, but I don't know how well they keep up with it if you start there and then move. All of the schools have different flavors, so you really need to tour to decide which you like best. I'd be happy to send my son to almost any of them.

Charter schools generally do not have buses, but a lot of people carpool. Charter schools are getting popular and can be very hard to get into - Evergreen had something like 400 applications for 23 spots last year. It's a straight lottery system, so if you really want to get in there's not much you can do but hope.

I second the Haw Creek area, which is east. As much as I like the Asheville City Schools, we couldn't find the right house in the city so we landed here (I think this neighborhood is in the city limits, but districted for county schools). It's beautiful and quiet here, very close to downtown, and I do believe we're on the bus line. Haw Creek Elementary has a great reputation. But if you rented here and then moved, you'd likely have to change schools.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Like a lot of people we want it all! Quiet, pretty, friendly, good schools, nr. Downtown!
Looking on the Internet it seems we may get more for our money in Haw Creek? Are there areas to avoid in Haw Creek? Are there parks for kids to play in? It would be nice if they could play outside with friends when a bit older without depending on us to take them somewhere. The rental factor may be a problem, I want to avoid moving the kids from school to school, moving over there from here is enough change in itself!
Hoping to move there within next 9 months......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina