Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 AM

41 posts, read 215,542 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,the wife and i have had it.we live in central florida,and it is insane.we have been looking into hendersonville.going up there in 2 weeks,to look around.i am a house painter and wondering if anyone can give info on the area and job market..thank you very much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,029,735 times
here is a link to the chamber of commerce in the area

hendersonvillechamber.org/work_force.shtml

Although I have only visited, I have a lot of friends in the asheville, arden, fletcher area and they LOVE it.

Leigh

Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,992,129 times
I live in Hendersonville and I'm completely satisfied with the area, but it's not a hotbed of activity in the area of economic growth. Summer tourism, children's camps, summer homes, retirees and some apple-farming is about it for here. The city of Asheville is close enough for the few times when you need something not found in Hendersonville.

Some quick facts from the U.S. Census Bureau

http://censtats.census.gov/data/NC/1603730720.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 08-30-2006 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 AM

41 posts, read 215,542 times
im guessing i will have to work in ashville

Old 08-30-2006, 12:53 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,403 times
I lived in a town 30 East of Asheville for about 5 years. Not everyone in the building trades worked up the mountain. Depends on what exactly you are looking for. You might check out craigslist.
You will certainly find more work around Asheville, though good painters seem to be able to find some work about anywhere.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:36 PM

117 posts, read 416,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I live in Hendersonville and I'm completely satisfied with the area, but it's not a hotbed of activity in the area of economic growth. Summer tourism, children's camps, summer homes, retirees and some apple-farming is about it for here. The city of Asheville is close enough for the few times when you need something not found in Hendersonville.

Some quick facts from the U.S. Census Bureau

http://censtats.census.gov/data/NC/1603730720.pdf

Looks beautiful, maybe a nice place to retire.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:41 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,523 times
Hi, if u desire a more progressive smaller town outside Hendersonville, there is Brevard...Which has one of the largest music schools in the eastern US, and has open air concerts, or u can also chose Waynesville, which is not that much farther, which has been voted one of the nicest downtowns in the US. The housing will also be cheaper there! But hurry those areas are getting very expensive.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,430 times
My wife and I have spent a lot of time in Waynesville over the past few years and just took the plunge and bought land there last month. Check it out. It still retains its small-town charm, yet it's big enough (10,000 full-time population) to have decent shopping, restaurants, health care, etc. And for a bigger-city experience, Asheville's 30 minutes away. Haywood County has something like 21 mountains with elevations of 6,000 feet or higher, so you have a great view from almost anywhere. Construction is booming in the county with the influx of retirees and second-home buyers, so I would think you wouldn't have trouble finding work as a house painter. Home prices are rising rapidly there, as are building costs for new construction, so it might be best to act quickly.
We've also visited Brevard and would have been comfortable buying land there had we not found what we were looking for in Waynesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina