Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times

Advertisements

I'm Jewish - I don't use the fact that my ancestors were tortured and enslaved for thousands of years as an excuse for bad behavior. At some point people need to develop their own moral compass regardless of their ancestory. Just sayin' ....

I realize that if the Cherokee want to have bears - and it's not illegal, and inspectors are checking things out, then they are perfectly within their legal rights to do so. Do I think its moral? NO! Do I think its right? NO!
Until it's declared illegal, all I can do is to make my voice heard and not spend my money bolstering their economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
That isn't a fair representation of me, but you wouldn't know that. I just see levels, where as there will "always be people like you" who will take someone who has just broke wind in the general direction of any living thing, and take it as an assault on everything that breathes.

I own a wonderful pug, and I'd erase anyone who did anything mean to her. I own chickens, and they provide food for my family. I don't keep them huddled in a tiny cage where they have to eat each other to make room to breathe. I'm an advocate for protecting endangered animals via federal and state legislation. But I also make a distinction between us, and lower forms of life.

If people like the nuts at PETA weren't so fascist, they'd probably get support for things that aren't so drastic. If they had their way, we'd all be eating grass and nuts (until some loon publishes a study showing how grass blades cry).

As I said, I'm not pompous enough to think that my view is the right one. It's just the right one for me.
At what point does a person become "pompous"? You think we should sit on our hands when we see suffering? I question why you skate right over the fact that we have empathy and go straight into calling us "pompous".

I am not a member of PETA and do not support all their positions. But that doesn't mean they aren't right some of the time. I would hope I'm mature enough to support the reasonable parts without needing to dismiss worthy battles just because I don't agree with everything. That would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

You say we have gotten you all wrong, but when you keep reverting to calling animals "lower forms of life", I think you have made yourself clear.

I have worked in animal rescue. One thing I've learned is that people who don't think animals deserve much protection ALWAYS pull out the "you think animals are more important than people" card and ridicule people who do the hard work of rescuing animals.

Here's your version: "I just see levels, where as there will "always be people like you" who will take someone who has just broke wind in the general direction of any living thing, and take it as an assault on everything that breathes."

People who ridicule animal rescuers do it to deflect attention away from their own indifference.

Never mind that I'm capable of supporting charities for both animals and humans and DO. It isn't a contest between humans and animals.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 08-03-2011 at 01:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina