Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM

109 posts, read 353,074 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your input...it's very much appreciated.

Oldnorthstate: We'll remember to take it easy some, too!

Saucystargazer: Good ideas...we're going to add Linville Caverns and G'father Mountain if we can fit it in. Max Patch is now out although it sounds like a great place. Also, I'll look into some gem mining. My son will love that...he's a rock collector.

Dhanu86: Clingman's Dome is at the top of the list. Yeah, I seem to remember some pretty curvy roads when I was a kid and as an adult I get a little freaked driving those types of roads. But I guessif grandma can do it, we'll be ok.

Francois: About Biltmore...I guess I was trying to avoid Asheville on this trip and anything that resembled a city. I get plenty of that here! But I remember going as a kid and especially like the maze...do they still have that? I think I'll at least put it on the list of possibilities in case we feel like getting back to a bigger city.

Wcu25rs: Hadn't thought about getting a gps...good idea. Also, thanks for explaining about the waterfalls. I had read some posts on here about people dying around waterfalls, but it wasn't clear to me what exactly these people had done. But, yeah, I will definitely hold tight to the little one at all times and steer clear of the edges. It's a shame your life is put a risk by those who don't follow warnings on posted signs.

Loves Mountains: Graveyard Fields is at the top of the list of stuff to do. I'll look into Laurel Creek, too.

So, based on all your comments and suggestions (and a DM from LovesMountains – a different one I think??), we've revised our trip a little. In case you're curious, here's the new plan:

Drive to Roan Mtn. Area; Hike Carver's Gap; overnight Roan Mtn. State Park.

Next day, drive to Spruce Pine/Bear Den with a possible detour on the way (if we feel like the extra drive) to Grandfather Mountain and lunch at Blowing Rock. (I know it's a travesty, but I'm going to skip Tweetsie this time. We will instead do the GRSM train in Bryson City. The weekend we're there they will have a Halloween ride with Snoopy characters, bouncy house, hay stacks...my son will love this!)

At Bear Den we've scratched Max Patch, and have added Linville Falls/Caverns. Will look into gem mining, too.

Then we'll do Davidson River for 4 nights (lots of great stuff to do here) and Bryson City for 3 nights with lots of stuff to choose from here as well.

Thanks again for all your help – I live in the Chicago area and am always a little disappointed at the outdoor activities here. There are some rolling hills in Wisconsin, but when we decided to move here, I didn't realize how much I'd miss being close to mountains. So we're pretty excited about this trip.

If there's anything I've missed, please let me know. When we return, I'll let you guys know how it went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terramama View Post
Thanks everyone for your input...it's very much appreciated.

Francois: About Biltmore...I guess I was trying to avoid Asheville on this trip and anything that resembled a city. I get plenty of that here! But I remember going as a kid and especially like the maze...do they still have that? I think I'll at least put it on the list of possibilities in case we feel like getting back to a bigger city.
I haven't personally been to Biltmore in about 20 years, but previously, *I* had been as a child and it had changed a LOT in that time. I'm sure it's even cooler now. And it's outside of town, so you don't really go into the city of Asheville. I can't remember the maze, but they showed a lot more of the house the last time I went than when I'd been 10-15 years before. And of course there is the winery there, with tours, etc. Probably much more has been added since I was there!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
gentle, yes....warm, no. No river, stream, or creek, gets warm in the mountains during the summer.
I beg to differ - the French Broad is rather shallow and it IS warm!! especially in July/Aug.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terramama View Post

Wcu25rs: Hadn't thought about getting a gps...good idea. Also, thanks for explaining about the waterfalls. I had read some posts on here about people dying around waterfalls, but it wasn't clear to me what exactly these people had done. But, yeah, I will definitely hold tight to the little one at all times and steer clear of the edges. It's a shame your life is put a risk by those who don't follow warnings on posted signs.

it's not just getting near the edges of waterfalls. Depending on current, a slip back from even 50 yards back, and it could be tragic. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. I'm sure you probably know this, but river rock can be slicker and harder to walk on than ice.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
I beg to differ - the French Broad is rather shallow and it IS warm!! especially in July/Aug.

ok, argue with someone who has lived around it their whole life(28 years).

Just to clarify again, I'm sure it warms a few degrees, but those few degrees do not make the water "warm" by any stretch of the imagination. Even in the hot summer, as good as it feels, it still cold. I just dont want these potential visitors thinking that they will actually be experiencing warm water, because they wont, but due to the heat, it will feel awesome.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
If the French Broad River is anything like the Nantahala River, it's about 45 degrees! I rafted the Nantahala in summer and got soaked to the skin. My teeth were chattering!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
If the French Broad River is anything like the Nantahala River, it's about 45 degrees! I rafted the Nantahala in summer and got soaked to the skin. My teeth were chattering!
It's nothing like the Nantahala - the Nantahala has tons of rapids - the French Broad runs from South to North and does not have many rapids (even though rafting companies like to say there are Class IV) - there are mostly nothing above a Class III and that's only when the river is running high due to rain. Temperature is relative, I guess - we swim in Lake Michigan and that is cold!! Canoeing the French Broad at Rosman and being in that water - your teeth won't be chattering for sure!!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM

149 posts, read 260,098 times
Graveyard Fields Falls is BEAUTIFUL in October. That is a must see.

Linville Caverns - must see

Sliding Rock - not ideal for young child but cool to look at nonetheless.

Anywhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful in the fall in my opinion!

Green River for tubing - well it is nice in the summertime!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,805,469 times
Great Smoky Mountain Railroad, Bryson City came to mind for your 4 year old; if you do not take the train ride, the store nearby is a wonderful treat! The Nantahala River Gorge is just outside Bryson City if you travel on the train, you will see it, just be sure to sit on the left side of the train, otherwise all you will see is LOTS of kudzu!

Bluegrass music is also featured on the weekends in Bryson City.

Websites: gsmr.com-Great Smoky Mountain Railroad
greatsmokies.com/events or just go to Bryson City

Also, Stecoah Harvest Festival in Robbinsville, NC, about 40 minutes from Bryson City, N.C.

As with folks answering you on this Thread, the folks in Western North Carolina, most friendly, helpful.
My first trip to the South and felt right at home!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Man dies in Transylvania County waterfall accident | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

this is exactly what I was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina