Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM

47 posts, read 108,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilik View Post
Thank you all so much for you input but I'm only 26 so I am not even considering this as a "retiree" type of place. I hate Boston. I hate living in the city. I'm looking for something rural, liberal, and funky where I can live for at least a good part of my adult years.

liberal, and funky = Asheville right down town and not 10 miles outside of it.

those don't vibe with most Southern folks in Blacks Mtn. Better find a city for your city boy ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
^ I'm not a "liberal" or "funky" person, but there's no need to be condescending about it.

You should consider Brattleboro or Putney in Vermont. If I were you, I would go to Vermont. I absolutely love it here (well, other than summer time), but Vermont is my favorite place I've ever been (haven't been to Alaska yet, haha). But seriously Vermont is, as you probably know, a very special place, and it's a place where I would love to spend the rest of my days. You should be aware that it gets very, very cold in Vermont, but Brattleboro and surrounding area is generally not nearly as cold. If I were moving to Vermont, I would go to the Northeast Kingdom, around St. Johnsbury, but I don't think you would appreciate the cold up there. Winter time in Vermont is heaven on Earth; snow everywhere, total quiet, maple trees getting prepared to thaw and produce their precious sap, and so much more. Vermont (and Maine) are as good as it gets in the Lower 48.

As far as WNC, it's a beautiful place, and I love it here (except in summer). The mountains are higher here, but due to the lower base elevation in Vermont, their mountains look bigger than they would if they were in WNC. Also, the Green Mountains are beautiful, and the treeline is lower there due to the higher latitude. However, I love the Blue Ridge (and Smoky) Mountains, and the hiking here is incredible. When you summit a high mountain and you can see mountains folding as far as the eye can see, it really puts the world in perspective. It is true that jobs are nearly impossible to find here, though, but that's pretty much true in Vermont as well. In fact, Vermont might be even tougher on jobs.

I think you should visit WNC in both summer and winter and do the same in Vermont, and then make your choice. But if you can't afford that, and you're going sight-unseen, I would recommend Vermont, as long as you don't mind the cold. It has four spectacular seasons, and it's a truly unique and wonderful place.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:01 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilik View Post
Thank you all so much for you input but I'm only 26 so I am not even considering this as a "retiree" type of place. I hate Boston. I hate living in the city. I'm looking for something rural, liberal, and funky where I can live for at least a good part of my adult years.
I have lived in Southern Vermont and wish to move to Western N.C. so I understand your dilemma.

I would move to Vermont in a heartbeat if it was finacially feasible. It just isn't for me. I have family who live there who are in the tax hell currently.
Western N.C. is a wonderful compromise in my opinion and reminds me of Vt in some ways. I have spent time in Black Mtn. and it was a serious contender on my list for awhile.
I have looked at houses and the market is down in B.M. If you don't have to build a house you could certainly find a home for sale at a decent price. I say recycle and buy a lightly used home. They are there.
Good luck and keep us updated on your search and view points on both areas.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Booya,

What town in WNC is at the top of your list now? Just curious.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Booya,

What town in WNC is at the top of your list now? Just curious.
Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, or Brevard are high on the list.
Any thoughts on these choices are appreciated.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, or Brevard are high on the list.

Any thoughts on these choices are appreciated.
I got nuthin.

Except Blowing Rock and Banner Elk might as well be the North Pole.

So what took Black Mountain out of the running?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I got nuthin.
Except Blowing Rock and Banner Elk might as well be the North Pole.

So what took Black Mountain out of the running?
Ha ha. Well although I do adore Black Mountain, loved the views, the little town (dog friendly big time!), the access to Montreat Trails etc. But I got a more "closed in" feeling and it seemed somewhat isolated and small. Even though it is only 15 minutes or so from Asheville. Don't know if I expalined it correctly but those are my impressions.
Now you might think that Blowing Rock or Brevard are more isolated.
But that is just how it felt to me. Brevard has such great access to hiking and the outdoors and is really just a hop away from Asheville airport.

And Blowing Rock is small but Boone is so close and you just can't beat it for access to trails, Moses Cone, cycling, Blue Ridge etc. Love the elevation in the High Country.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM

People are always saying Brevard is isolated, but compared to where I live now, it's not. It's in the middle of all the places I'd want access to.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
People are always saying Brevard is isolated, but compared to where I live now, it's not. It's in the middle of all the places I'd want access to.
I agree-I've seen the same "Brevard is isolated" comments. It is a great location to me. Any only about 30 minutes from Asheville airport and Asheville.
Your in Hiawasee Ga. is that correct?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 AM

Yep! Hiawassee. We have gorgeous Lake Chatuge here and you see it meandering on both sides of the road when driving through town. We don't have a real downtown though. It's just a string of buildings strung along the highway going through town.

Lake Chatuge and lower taxes are what I would miss, but not sure if that's enough to keep me here in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina