Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 17,002 times

Advertisements

I am desperate to move out of the hustle and bustle and anger of Boston. I work as an adjunct professor so I am planning to apply to as many schools as possible in Southern Vermont to see if I can get a job there. There is a decent amount of colleges in the south but I'm wondering what people know about the towns? I know I am looking for a place to settle and eventually buy 2+ acres (something I could never dream of in MA). I want to be somewhere slower and crunchier and Vermont seems to be the place to be. What are your thoughts? The reason I am tending towards the southern part of the state opposed to the north is that I am not the biggest winter sports person. I can so a little worse than Boston but not as far as Burlington.

My other thought is moving to Asheville, NC - specifically Black Mountain. Again, I would get a job before I moved but if anyone has thoughts about the pros and cons of these two places, it would be fantastic!

Thanks! Have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
What about you? Do you get a better feeling in Vermont or North Carolina?

I'm always amazed by people moving to Vermont on purpose with the high income taxes and even higher real estate taxes. They also tax retirees to death. Yes, it's a beautiful place, but I can't believe people put up with the situation if they don't have to.

I suppose it's all relative since you live in Boston though.

Aside from taxes, obviously your winters are going to be easier in Black Mountain. And the whole Asheville area is definitely crunchy, with local organic food being huge.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilik View Post
I am desperate to move out of the hustle and bustle and anger of Boston. I work as an adjunct professor so I am planning to apply to as many schools as possible in Southern Vermont to see if I can get a job there. There is a decent amount of colleges in the south but I'm wondering what people know about the towns? I know I am looking for a place to settle and eventually buy 2+ acres (something I could never dream of in MA). I want to be somewhere slower and crunchier and Vermont seems to be the place to be. What are your thoughts? The reason I am tending towards the southern part of the state opposed to the north is that I am not the biggest winter sports person. I can so a little worse than Boston but not as far as Burlington.

My other thought is moving to Asheville, NC - specifically Black Mountain. Again, I would get a job before I moved but if anyone has thoughts about the pros and cons of these two places, it would be fantastic!

Thanks! Have a wonderful day!

Make sure you have a position well before planning a move... anywhere. Especially NC. You may find the cost of living is lower in western NC, but so are the salaries. The cultural differences between southern VT and western NC will be very different. The mountains are a lot higher in western NC, seriously.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The mountains are a lot higher in western NC, seriously.

HA! I'd ask which high but either way the answer is the same.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Not to bust her balloon, but 2 buildable acres anywhere near Black Mountain or Asheville would be in the $200K range, or more. Does she want it near a lake and a mountain view with that? Add another $100K. I don't see any comparison between southern VT and western NC at all. It's apples and oranges.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM

143 posts, read 368,833 times
Quote:
Make sure you have a position well before planning a move... anywhere. Especially NC. You may find the cost of living is lower in western NC, but so are the salaries. The cultural differences between southern VT and western NC will be very different. The mountains are a lot higher in western NC, seriously.
The cultural differences between southern VT and Boston as also very different...

My husband and I moved from Vermont to Western North Carolina about 5 years ago and wouldn't look back. There are definitely some cultural differences here, but part of it is where you end up living. I find that Asheville / Black Mountain have more of a feeling of being in the middle between Boston and Vermont culturally and really like the area.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 AM
pth

274 posts, read 459,257 times
Black mountain will be a lot less expensive.

I lived in Burlington, VT and was pay check to pay check-in a house with 4 other people! But it was SO AWESOME. Either location you choose...you're going to have tons of outdoor opportunities around you.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I don't see any comparison between southern VT and western NC at all. It's apples and oranges.
Depends on what criteria you're looking at. I don't know about real estate prices, but real estate taxes will eat you alive in Vermont compared to North Carolina.

Then, if the OP intends to retire in either place, just know that Vermont is considered "Retiree Tax Hell". They tax ALL retirement income, even social security.

North Carolina isn't wonderful either as far as taxing retiree income, but it's still better than Vermont. At least NC does not tax social security! They're both bad from where I'm currently sitting in Georgia. In Georgia, they are going to phase out ALL taxes for ALL retirement income beginning in 2012.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 17,002 times
Default ok...

Thank you all so much for you input but I'm only 26 so I am not even considering this as a "retiree" type of place. I hate Boston. I hate living in the city. I'm looking for something rural, liberal, and funky where I can live for at least a good part of my adult years.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Okay, the retiree info doesn't apply, but still watch out for the property taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina