Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 PM

358 posts, read 983,540 times

Advertisements

I'm proud to be from the South, but I thank God for two other things:

-I'm from the mountains, where people tend to stay out of one another's business.
-I'm Methodist. So I'm not an in-your-face, do-what-I-say, Baptist.

I don't understand how two people who love one another, being together, PAYING TAXES, could possibly hurt anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I don't understand how two people who love one another, being together, PAYING TAXES, could possibly hurt anyone.
A rep coming your way.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

I don't spend any time or energy hating on Christianity. It is what it is, and in most cases, it's not hurting anyone. It's Christian extremists (no different from any other sort of extremists), that I find contemptible. Unfortunately, like churches, we have a lot of those.
Gonna disagree with you on that for it is attempting to legislate their hatred into law against 10% of the population, all over interpretations of ancient superstitions.

Might as well legislate hatred against left handed people, for they also represent about 10% of the population, or red heads, or any other minority.

And now it looks like it will be on the general ballot next year, the hatred and lack of civility will as this approaches will unbearable, all over people trying to interfere in the lives of others by imposing their hate born in ignorance into law.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Isn't it funny how so many "cesspools of sin" turn out to be such pleasant places to be?

i'm probably in the minority, but I dont consider Asheville to be that pleasant of a place. If you walk around Asheville, it's ok, but if you ever walk around downtown Greenville, you realize just how dirty a place Asheville is.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
That whole article is a perfect example of why I will not be spending the rest of my life in the South. There is just too much of this 19-century-esque bigotry that goes on in PUBLIC forums and the guy gets to keep his job representing three counties. I absolutely will not live in a place like that, not permanently. I am not gay, but live and let live for chrissake. Gay folks aren't hurting anyone, and they're quite often very nice people. Whatever, I'm just saying, I won't live among people like Forester. Perfect example of a scumbag good ole boy.
this is the whole attitude I dont understand. Because someone voices(in general, not just referring to the person in the article) an opposing opinion to the homosexual lifestyle, they are labeled a bigot and intolerant. However, homosexuals are just as intolerant of the anti-homosexual viewpoint, automatically labeling someone a bigot. The homosexual crowd and the people that defend them do not realize how hypocritical they can be.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM

To be fair, support or opposition of gay civil rights varies greatly by Christian denomination.

Unfortunately for the south, for historical reasons we have higher numbers of the denominations that oppose those rights.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
this is the whole attitude I dont understand. Because someone voices (in general, not just referring to the person in the article) an opposing opinion to the homosexual lifestyle, they are labeled a bigot and intolerant.

However, homosexuals are just as intolerant of the anti-homosexual viewpoint, automatically labeling someone a bigot. The homosexual crowd and the people that defend them do not realize how hypocritical they can be.
Well, the first thing homosexuals find offensive is that their very lives are referred to as a "lifestyle". They don't have lifestyles; they have lives. They go to work, maintain their households and pay bills like everyone else. They have relationships like everyone else, the only difference being the sex of the partner.

The second thing homosexuals find offensive is not that people don't agree with them; it's the fact that those people want to deprive them of civil rights according to their religious beliefs which are not shared by all.

One could easily argue that the heterosexual community is rife with problems since the majority of rapes and child sexual abuse are committed by heterosexual men. But no one ever thinks of taking away the rights of heterosexuals or refers to a "heterosexual lifestyle" negatively.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition for a bigot is as follows: "BIGOT: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance."

According to that definition, the word "bigot" does seem to apply.

The homosexuals are not the ones trying to deprive anyone of civil rights. They are reacting negatively to those who are.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
i'm probably in the minority, but I dont consider Asheville to be that pleasant of a place. If you walk around Asheville, it's ok, but if you ever walk around downtown Greenville, you realize just how dirty a place Asheville is.
Yes, but "pleasant" can refer to more than cleanliness. People consider Asheville pleasant because of the scenery, the arts, the music, and the large independent farm-to-table restaurant scene.

Cleanliness is something to be encouraged of course, but Asheville does have more of the above than Greenville.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
From the article....
Quote:
Sen. James Forrester, who represents Gaston, Iredell and Lincoln counties in the state Senate
Activists say gay marriage forum turned ugly | marriage, senate, gaston - Gaston Gazette

^^^I travel to these three counties quite often (due to my work) and I can tell you all that Forrester does NOT represent the average person I've seen in these places. It is my opinion that Forrester is just venting his own personal hatred here.

FYI, Pat McCrory (an ex-mayor of Charlotte who probably feels the same as Forrester) will most likely run against Bev. Perdue again. Eventhough many are not pleased with Perdue's performance (or lack thereof) she most likely won't support an anti-gay bill. Just a little something to think about come next election.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM

35 posts, read 33,570 times
yep its going to be on the ballot..................... this after the wonderful state of NC decided to reverse the rights of adoptive parents by overturning all second parent adoptions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina