Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times

Advertisements

Weeeeeelllll.... This did happen here.... Cops: Asheville woman put child in car with unidentified male | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Last edited by saucystargazer; 09-13-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
i'm probably in the minority, but I dont consider Asheville to be that pleasant of a place. If you walk around Asheville, it's ok, but if you ever walk around downtown Greenville, you realize just how dirty a place Asheville is.
And I only drive past Greenville to get to Asheville. I find Greenville unattractive, hot, humid and everything I am going to the mountans to get away from. Even though it is close distance wise it is so far as far as climate, geography, and culture.
Give me that fresh mountain air any day. And I always find it amazing that people who come on this forum to inquire about moving to Asheville have people come back with, "But you should check out Greenville. . . "

They are so different that I can't imagaine anyone interested in WNC considering Greenville. I guess the only reason would be it is not that far a drive if you can't live in your desired area. And I do understand that the job situation is better in Greenville.
Yes just proves the different strokes for different folks!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Good entrepreneurs never let an opportunity go to waste:

cesspool of sin - Printfection.com

Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
too funny ! I am sure they will sell quickly

Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Well, the first thing homosexuals find offensive is that their very lives are referred to as a "lifestyle". They don't have lifestyles; they have lives. They go to work, maintain their households and pay bills like everyone else. They have relationships like everyone else, the only difference being the sex of the partner.
it's an unnatural lifestyle, which I think it the reason people call it that. There's nothing natural about a man having sexual affection for another man, and a woman for another woman.

Quote:
The second thing homosexuals find offensive is not that people don't agree with them; it's the fact that those people want to deprive them of civil rights according to their religious beliefs which are not shared by all.
yes, some do find it offensive simply because people do not agree with their lifestyle, not just because there are groups who want to keep them from marrying. Many times has someone been labeled a bigot simply because they disagree with homosexuality.

Quote:
One could easily argue that the heterosexual community is rife with problems since the majority of rapes and child sexual abuse are committed by heterosexual men. But no one ever thinks of taking away the rights of heterosexuals or refers to a "heterosexual lifestyle" negatively.
that doesnt prove anything.....each lifestyle poses their own problems.

Quote:
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition for a bigot is as follows: "BIGOT: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance."

According to that definition, the word "bigot" does seem to apply.
Would you label homosexuals who are intolerant of opposing views on homosexuality, bigots?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,807 times
Quote:
Yes, but "pleasant" can refer to more than cleanliness. People consider Asheville pleasant because of the scenery, the arts, the music, and the large independent farm-to-table restaurant scene.

Cleanliness is something to be encouraged of course, but Asheville does have more of the above than Greenville.
i would agree with you that where Asheville is located is definitely a prettier place, but I'm referring to the city itself.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
it's an unnatural lifestyle, which I think it the reason people call it that. There's nothing natural about a man having sexual affection for another man, and a woman for another woman.
There's that "lifestyle" word again. If you are talking about behavior, WHO gets to define it as unnatural? You? There is homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom, btw. It seems to have occurred in nature quite a bit.

Quote:
yes, some do find it offensive simply because people do not agree with their lifestyle, not just because there are groups who want to keep them from marrying. Many times has someone been labeled a bigot simply because they disagree with homosexuality.
I think you need to go back and read what I said. You have a right to your own beliefs, right up UNTIL you try to control what consenting adults do in their own lives or hassle them in any way.

If you don't like homosexuality, then don't practice it! More power to ya! Who cares? Other than that, it's really none of your business what other people do.

Quote:
that doesnt prove anything.....each lifestyle poses their own problems.
It was meant to make you think. It's tiresome how so many people want to portray homosexuals as a problem and don't look at the behavior of heterosexuals.

Quote:
Would you label homosexuals who are intolerant of opposing views on homosexuality, bigots?
Again, I already said in my first post to you that what bothers them is when you try to prevent their civil rights. It bothers them if you hassle them. How can a person be a bigot for being intolerant of someone trying to force their intolerance on them?

It's called "self-defense".

Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Good entrepreneurs never let an opportunity go to waste:

cesspool of sin - Printfection.com
Those shirts are a must-have.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Quote:
Quote:
There's that "lifestyle" word again. If you are talking about behavior, WHO gets to define it as unnatural? You? There is homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom, btw. It seems to have occurred in nature quite a bit.

This is not a *local* issue, so it's off-topic for this local forum. You're welcome to take the conversation to DM or join in one of the [numerous] threads in the Politics & Other Controversies or Religion & Philosophy forums.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
The classical conservative columnist Charley Reese once wrote a piece he called "Secession." It was not about political secession, but about individuals personally seceding from societal behaviors he called decadent and nutty. I'm sure Mr.Forrester would approve, right until he gets to what separates a classical conservative like Mr. Reese from himself. That is explained rather well in this quote from Mr. Reese's column I mentioned above.

"As I said, our society is decadent and nutty. We all have to do what we have to do to make a living, but beyond that, we have a great deal of freedom to live our lives by our own values. For example, if you don't approve of gay marriage, then don't marry a gay person; if you disapprove of abortion, don't get one; if you dislike drugs and tobacco, don't use them; if you are opposed to war, don't participate in it; if you are against gambling, don't bet.

It's my observation that most of what people vociferously complain about are not things they are forced to do, but things that other people choose to do. A favorite phrase of my father — "None of your business" — seems to have become obsolete in our busybody society. The government is a busybody, its supporters are busybodies, and its opponents are busybodies, making it a conflict among busybodies as to which aspects of people's private lives the government should regulate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina