Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times

Advertisements

.............. at least according to State Senator James Forrester [(Rep)- no suprise there ]

Quote:
The topic of how voters would feel about a gay marriage referendum came up at the meeting. That sparked some discussion about how residents of larger North Carolina cities, like Charlotte and Chapel Hill, feel about the issue.

Forrester then called the city of Asheville “a cesspool of sin.”
Activists say gay marriage forum turned ugly | marriage, senate, gaston - Gaston Gazette (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/marriage-60714-senate-gaston.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
Well that's very childish of the senator. But he's a long-time crank with a job for life so that sort of behavior unfortunately isn't unexpected.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Isn't it funny how so many "cesspools of sin" turn out to be such pleasant places to be?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
That whole article is a perfect example of why I will not be spending the rest of my life in the South. There is just too much of this 19-century-esque bigotry that goes on in PUBLIC forums and the guy gets to keep his job representing three counties. I absolutely will not live in a place like that, not permanently. I am not gay, but live and let live for chrissake. Gay folks aren't hurting anyone, and they're quite often very nice people. Whatever, I'm just saying, I won't live among people like Forester. Perfect example of a scumbag good ole boy.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
That whole article is a perfect example of why I will not be spending the rest of my life in the South. There is just too much of this 19-century-esque bigotry that goes on in PUBLIC forums and the guy gets to keep his job representing three counties. I absolutely will not live in a place like that, not permanently. I am not gay, but live and let live for chrissake. Gay folks aren't hurting anyone, and they're quite often very nice people. Whatever, I'm just saying, I won't live among people like Forester. Perfect example of a scumbag good ole boy.
You will find this type of religious based hatred anyplace you find a church. The south doesn't have a monopoly of knuckle dragging bigots that justify hate based on ancient superstitions, though we do have more than our fair share.

Guess you are of the glass is half empty persuasion.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The south doesn't have a monopoly of knuckle dragging bigots that justify hate based on ancient superstitions, though we do have more than our fair share.
This is why I have such a love/hate attitude toward the south. When it's good, it's really good, and when it's bad, it's horrid.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Moving North or West isn't the cure believe me. Some of the worse behavior I've seen has been in NYC and Cali. <shrug>

The South of course still has it's peppering of it, but in general it seems more tolerant of issues and view points than almost all areas in the US and the World.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
.............. at least according to State Senator James Forrester [(Rep)- no suprise there ]

Activists say gay marriage forum turned ugly | marriage, senate, gaston - Gaston Gazette (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/marriage-60714-senate-gaston.html - broken link)
lol...sounds good to me. I live in 1940 Mayberry rite now (suburban hell, NE Tenn) so I cannot wait to move.

Someone ought to tell him single professionals pump more money into the economy- In suburban hell the housewives here still live on an allowance and are lucky if they go to "Poor Richards" a college dive bar for lunch.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I agree. main reason most (single/divorced professional women) have sold out and moved from subdivisions in my area, people from NJ and Chicago with MSHA/good jobs...cant stand the good old boy thing- It really is like going back in time 60 years, which in the workplace, is NOT a good thing.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
Quote:
You will find this type of religious based hatred anyplace you find a church. The south doesn't have a monopoly of knuckle dragging bigots that justify hate based on ancient superstitions, though we do have more than our fair share.
This, I agree with completely. It is not a monopoly, but it is entirely too close to being one for me. The thing is, see, you will find this crap anywhere you find a church, BUT the South has more churches than anywhere else. It's called the Bible Belt for a reason. Hell, it took some 14 years of dragging me to church every Sunday before my parents finally realized that I was not going to magically become a Christian, regardless of how many hours I spent listening to sermons about how terrible I was UNLESS I found the magical love of Jesus, which would of course make me much less terrible.

I don't spend any time or energy hating on Christianity. It is what it is, and in most cases, it's not hurting anyone. It's Christian extremists (no different from any other sort of extremists), that I find contemptible. Unfortunately, like churches, we have a lot of those.

Quote:
Guess you are of the glass is half empty persuasion.
Coming from you, that's a strong statement. I don't believe that I am. I love these mountains and the people here, it is mostly the climate and the religious presence that is troublesome. And between those two, the religious presence ranks very very low. I am much more bothered by sweating like a pig for four or five months a year than I am by some snake-handling maniacs. At least their snake-handling doesn't directly affect me.

But I believe (more like hope) that with the passing of time, the good ole boy culture will fade. That belief/hope may be unfounded, but it helps me confront the reality of my old home place (which, being in Alabama, is even more religious than here).

And finally, going west or north to "NYC" or "Cali" (which is on my top five most-hated slang terms list) is not a search for a cure. It is literally a search for better weather, as "better" is defined in my terms, at least. Most people would find my climate preferences downright loony, but the good thing about that is, those people won't be coming to where I am. Even if I end up staying in the Lower 48, I will be someplace very, very cold, and most people don't like that sort of place. And ultimately, for me, the problem is not the TYPE of people around me, but the NUMBER. As long as that number dramatically lowers as I move, and the weather gets much snowier, I will be satisfied.

Even if that means living in a "cesspool of sin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina