U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,188,877 times

Advertisements

Hey dudes and dudettes!

We are going to go hiking around asheville this weekend and can't decide on a trail! We want to stay around Asheville since I've got some errands I have to do. So! I decided to ask you guys! We love them all so need a middle man . Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM

172 posts, read 453,308 times
Looking Glass Rock

Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 AM

1,991 posts, read 4,291,653 times
Saucy, I know you live in the Greenville area now - some suggestions:
Dupont State Forest - halfway between G'ville and Asheville - fantastic trails/waterfalls
Also check out Whitewater Falls - the highest waterfall east of the Rockies - amazing - part of the Nantahala National Forest
Whitewater Falls is very close to the relatively new Gorges State Park (NC) with additional trails and waterfalls
romanticasheville.com also has some additional hiking ideas

Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM

442 posts, read 1,443,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Dupont State Forest - halfway between G'ville and Asheville - fantastic trails/waterfalls
Also check out Whitewater Falls - the highest waterfall east of the Rockies - amazing - part of the Nantahala National Forest
Whitewater Falls is very close to the relatively new Gorges State Park (NC) with additional trails and waterfalls
The second the doc's recommendation for Gorges State Park - we were there in June and it's great - but saucy says she wants to not be too far from Asheville. I would head out on the Blue Ridge Parkway and do the Sam Knob Summit/Flat Laurel Creek hike - or the Black Balsam Loop which starts from the same trailhead - all great hikes!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM

83 posts, read 87,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post

ahhhh romantic asheville.....the reason there are nearly zero secret spots anymore that aren't all over the internet........thanks romantic asheville oh and the citizen times and the mt express wnc parent etc etc... now the parkinglot at places like max patch might as well have parking meters on the weekend lol

Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
The second the doc's recommendation for Gorges State Park - we were there in June and it's great - but saucy says she wants to not be too far from Asheville. I would head out on the Blue Ridge Parkway and do the Sam Knob Summit/Flat Laurel Creek hike - or the Black Balsam Loop which starts from the same trailhead - all great hikes!

Yea I was looking more for the arboretum, bent creek forest, mills river, mnt to sea trail, craggy gardens, type deals.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,541,487 times
Yeah see, you know more about what trails to go to than most of the people who are going to respond on here, saucy. Hey, there's always that section of the MST that goes from the side of the Parkway to the top of that rock with the overlook of Haw Creek Valley; you know, the one you went on after you healed up from your injury? That's a good one.

Oh, and I agree with ole boy who said Romantic Asheville (and other sites like it) have effectively destroyed the "secret spot". That is a mythical place that no longer exists on the East Coast, except maybe in Vermont or Maine. Actually no, not Vermont. Just Maine. But I still have some secret spots up my sleeve. Out here in this country by my place, there are a lot of good spots and not very many people, and what people are here already know better spots than you anyway, so you won't be disturbed. Douglas Falls always has some people there though.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yeah see, you know more about what trails to go to than most of the people who are going to respond on here, saucy. Hey, there's always that section of the MST that goes from the side of the Parkway to the top of that rock with the overlook of Haw Creek Valley; you know, the one you went on after you healed up from your injury? That's a good one.

BAH! Wish I could rep you. Lame system.

I thought about knowing more than most but thought there were enough people on here to suggest spots in asheville and lead us in one direction or another. I guess we'll have to fend for ourselves. OH the HORROR! I do love douglas falls hrmmmmmm maybe well do that one. We thought about heading up early, doing a shorter under 3 mile one, getting the errands done and having lunch, then doing another 3-4 mile hike. So we shall see. The younger sibling mentioned meeting up too (hes in cullowhee) and hes not a hiker, so we might go for an easy easy one for him.

I'll have remember to get some neat pictures and add them to the picture thread. I'm digging it.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,541,487 times
Well, if you do Douglas Falls, you ought to access it from the Coleman Boundary. If you don't know where that is, PM me. It's right down the road from my house, and it's an 8 mile drive on a Forest Service gravel road to the falls. My Honda Accord can make it, so no worries there. That should be your easy easy one, really. It's very very short, but the waterfall is spectacular as you know. The Douglas Falls hike, if you access it from the Parkway, that's a long hike, but if you do it from the Boundary, it's easy as can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina