Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times

Advertisements

Our family decided we REALLY need to take a break from our hectic life and just escape and visit the Blue Ridge Mountains this weekend. I've only been there once and need some insight on what to see/do there and good place/location to stay. We plan to leave here Saturday morning and come back on Monday.

Here are some of the things we've heard of that we're interested in checking out:

Biltmore Estate, Asheville downtown, linville falls, grandfather mountain, blowing rock, chimney rock

So any help is appreciated - places to see, accomodations, central location, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Here are some of the things we've heard of that we're interested in checking out:

Biltmore Estate, Asheville downtown, linville falls, grandfather mountain, blowing rock, chimney rock.
I would save Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, and Blowing Rock for a separate trip to the Boone/Blowing Rock area. They are not in the same vicinity as Asheville.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Hmmm is it that far from Asheville? that's why I thought about extending the trip over to monday. Was thinking Asheville/Biltmore on Saturday, and the Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, and Blowing Rock on Sunday. Not doable?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Yes, it's doable. Asheville and Blowing Rock are a couple of hours apart. I just think there's enough in each area to focus an entire visit on one area or the other.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
We plan to leave here (Apex?) Saturday morning and come back on Monday (Night?).
That's about 250 miles each way; 4 hours on I-40. (ugh)

I'm gonna suggest holding off on getting to Asheville until Sunday or even Monday...
or maybe even for another trip altogether (you are allowed to come back).

By this I mean to turn right at Winston Salem and head up US52 to Fancy Gap Va....
This will still be 150 miles and nearly 3 hours from Apex.

From there (mm 200) start meandering south down the Parkway toward
Blowing Rock (mm290) and Boone. That's about another 100 miles (and 3 hrs) in all.
Stop at the BR Music Center for sure (mm 215) and a few lookouts.

That'll be enough for one day. Spend the night there in Boone.

On Sunday (or even Monday) continue on down to Asheville...
it's about 90 more BRP miles (3 hrs + stops) to Biltmore.

Or spend more time seeing and doing those other things you wanted
that are in the Boone & Blowing Rock area.

hth

Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 PM

16 posts, read 17,947 times
Quote:
Our family decided we REALLY need to take a break from our hectic life and just escape and visit the Blue Ridge Mountains this weekend. I've only been there once and need some insight on what to see/do there and good place/location to stay. We plan to leave here Saturday morning and come back on Monday.

Biltmore Estate, Asheville downtown, linville falls, grandfather mountain, blowing rock, chimney rock

So any help is appreciated - places to see, accomodations, central location, etc.

Holiday inn and Marriot have nice properties in the asheville area. Luella's is a fantastic place for ribs in particualar and bbq meats. Biltmore Estate will take a couple of hours ( it is very expensive In my opinoin, look for coupons)

Chimey Rock is doable with Asheville. There are hundreds of stairs and the elevator is being re-done. I was just there two weeks ago, and it is nice but if you dont like millions of stairs, then I suggest you consider something else or take advil with you ...

Asheville has a great downtown area, a botanical garden and I suggest going to Trip Advisor and searching the forums for things to see.

The drive from ASheville to Blowing Rock/Linville/Grandfather mountina seems prohibitive in that short amount of time. To be able to do stuff in Grandfather mountain (see website for things to do) you will need several hours.

Personally we love to got asheville solely to go to Luellas just for the ribs and then take of to other areas....but I would ditch it in a heart beat to be in Blowing Rock/Boone/GM and Linville to see the trails and sightsee. ..

Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Can I tag onto this post? I found it when looking for a weekend retreat for us. I'm just looking for a quiet cabin on or VERY close to moving water (stream, river, etc. with fish) and a hot tub. To sleep a family of 5. It would be a Thurs-Sunday. I don't want a hotel, condo, or anything like that, though being near to a town would be ok too. I live in Morrisville (near Apex).

I have friends in Asheville and would LOVE to catch up with them, but not sure I want to drive 4 hours each way--is it possible to stay in Blowing Rock or something and meet her in the middle somewhere for the day?

ANY suggestions would be totally appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's about 250 miles each way; 4 hours on I-40. (ugh)

I'm gonna suggest holding off on getting to Asheville until Sunday or even Monday...
or maybe even for another trip altogether (you are allowed to come back).

By this I mean to turn right at Winston Salem and head up US52 to Fancy Gap Va....
This will still be 150 miles and nearly 3 hours from Apex.

From there (mm 200) start meandering south down the Parkway toward
Blowing Rock (mm290) and Boone. That's about another 100 miles (and 3 hrs) in all.
Stop at the BR Music Center for sure (mm 215) and a few lookouts.

That'll be enough for one day. Spend the night there in Boone.

On Sunday (or even Monday) continue on down to Asheville...
it's about 90 more BRP miles (3 hrs + stops) to Biltmore.

Or spend more time seeing and doing those other things you wanted
that are in the Boone & Blowing Rock area.

hth

I always appreciate it when you remind folks that the mountains and Parkway on the Virginia side are actually more quickly accessed (and just as beautiful) than those on the NC side for folks living in the triad and triangle

And while I love the route you have suggested here, it must be reported that there is currently a Parkway closure that does take folks around a 20 mile detour near Sparta until next summer.

And while the detour is an enjoyable enough ride through countryside filled with Christmas tree farms, visitors do miss the Doughton Park area of the Parkway, which offers some of the most stunning views when riding from Fancy Gap to Blowing Rock.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Road Closures (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yes, it's doable. Asheville and Blowing Rock are a couple of hours apart. I just think there's enough in each area to focus an entire visit on one area or the other.
I would have to agree!

Go to the Asheville area, or go to the Blowing Rock area, but don't try to do both on one weekend or you'll spend too much time driving and not enough enjoying all there is to do in both places

Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Hmmm thanks for all the feedback. I forgot to mention that my parents are in their late 60s and my dad has trouble walking so we were not planning on spending too much time walking/hiking at any one stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway. So we'll prob stop, take pictures, enjoy a little bit, then move on.

Since we're leaving Saturday morning, by the time we get to either the north end/Grandfather Mountain area or south end/Asheville, I'm guessing it'll be about 1pm. So would it make more sense to go to Asheville/Biltmore Estate first on Saturday. Check out Biltmore for a few hours until they close at 4, then check out downtown Asheville for the rest of the day/evening.

Then Spend Sunday/early Monday along the Blue Ridge Mountains?

Or I guess we could do the mountains on Saturday afternoon. Stay somewhere in the night. Then continue with the mountains on Sunday down towards Asheville and do downtown Sunday evening. THen spend Monday daytime at Biltmore before heading back.

Yeah I know it sounds packed but my parents are leaving the country in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to plan a 3 day weekend trip with them somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina