U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM

91 posts, read 266,792 times

Advertisements

How do these phones work? (The $45 a month plan)
Currently paying $220 a month for 2 smart phones through Verizon.

Specifically wondering about how it works in the mountains and hollers? Not so much the "metro" area.

Swain, Jackson, Haywood, Macon, Graham, and Cherokee counties.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 PM

917 posts, read 2,207,344 times
I noticed no one answered this post from Feb. I HOPE straight talk works ok in WNC since I have it and love it, and will be moving to mts. in a few months.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM

11,115 posts, read 17,945,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I noticed no one answered this post from Feb. I HOPE straight talk works ok in WNC since I have it and love it, and will be moving to mts. in a few months.
Ann, you may be disappointed because even the best of cell providers and phones will hit dead spots in the mountains and sometimes just going down the road or which way the wind blows. Who knows why, but it happens often. You probably don't run into that coming from "the flatlands".

I would suggest Verizon, they have the most towers and least problems. Sorry about the Straight Talk deal. Shop around when you get there and get the best $$ deal. It will be interesting, however, to hear how others' experiences are, so I hope they chime in.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,163,420 times
The only provider I know that gets service in all but the most remote places in pisgah nat forest is verizon. Doubt you will get good reception with anything else. Check your providers coverage map.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,182,475 times
There are prepaid phones that have smartphone features and use some network that uses Verizon/ATT, not sure what the name is though. There's the one that people on wellfare get with that network which would work in the mountains good, and I think there's another one that can be purchased in a walmart or target.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM

4,601 posts, read 9,572,910 times
Dunno about 'Straight Talk', but we have had Verizon for years, via our Kidz plan(s) whom are back in NJ/NY.
My wife has a smart phone, I have an older non-smart phone, (which is fitting!).

We get 3G standing on our deck with fairly non obscured line of sight across the valley for a long range, and both do work in driving around/local situs, but with the previously mentioned drops/cut outs/degraded signal, etc.

Reception in many areas of western NC is not exactly like one sees on TV where the nerd is walking down the street texting, watching movies, checking FB, and talking seemingly all at the same time, lol!

However, the food stamp gang in the local Walmart stores seem to be able to do all that while perusing the aisles for their buggy load of junque food/snacks...

Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM

748 posts, read 749,330 times
I have straight talk, for call / text works great around Asheville. Packet data is a bit more tricky, for instance I have to click "retrieve email" multiple times sometimes before it works. I have the e71, it could be my phone but I recall it working better in Pittsburgh. My advise if you get straight talk: DON'T BUY THEIR PHONES. Simply get a SIM card from straight talk, this way you can use cheaper unlocked phone w/ better resale value. Overall, I wouldn't really recommend them but I wouldn't discourage their use either.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,730,463 times
I had straight talk for about a month or two before I ditched it. Reception in Asheville was great and the reception in Black Mountain was great also. Reason for ditching straight talk was because I wanted a smartphone (radio shack) that goes through virgin mobile. Reception with VM can be tricky. I get full bars in Black Mountain / Asheville, but in Marshall I have absolutely no reception at all.

Straight talk is good (if you buy their phone) if you want a basic phone. If you're looking more towards a smart-phone, I would probably check out radio shack first.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM

103 posts, read 231,870 times
My husband has it with a Droid phone and it works better than mine with Verizon. Guess it depends on your phone but he often has service where I don't.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,179,212 times
I had it when I moved to Asheville. It sucked. I moved to U.S. Cellular, which works very well in this area. It has limited coverage areas, so if you travel "outside" the area, be aware of roaming charges. I pay about $40/mo for unlimited text, data and talk. They don't have iPhones, I see they just got Samsung Galaxy s3's, which have received good reviews. I have a dinosaur "dumb" phone, but it get's the job done.

The one thing I don't like about US Cellular is they farm out their support to Nicaragua. So much for the U.S. part of their name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>