Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 11,859 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I am seriously looking into Brevard and Black Mountain area.
I read that Brevard has more rain in the summer and now I am wondering about the Mosquitoes and Black fly situation.
I live in New England and the Mosquitoes are BAD here. I am so fed up of not being able to sit in my garden without being chased back into the house.

I know higher up and less water is best - so I am guessing that Black Mountain might be ideal? but I also like the look of Brevard.

If anyone has some experience with summers in either places please let me know your thoughts!

No work issues here. Can afford either area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
There are hardly any mosquitoes anywhere in the mountains, and what few that exist are very tiny.

I've always heard that black flies are a far northern thing. We have regular flies, but I was never bothered by them here except for the time I lived near a chicken farm. Even then, it was intermittent.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 11,859 times
Shooting Stars so that in the mountains, includes Brevard is that right? just making sure I understand right! :-} that makes me happy LOL!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM

I am in the mountains of North Georgia, thinking about moving to Brevard.

Brevard is at a higher altitude than where I'm at now, so they are in the mountains. Since we hardly ever see a mosquito here, you can count on Brevard being the same.

If I remember correctly, I think the reason is that mosquitoes don't thrive at 60 degrees or lower. Even at the height of summer our nights are often in the 60s.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM

32 posts, read 185,686 times
Shooting Stars,

Why are you interested in moving to Brevard? What is it like?
We live in Tampa and visit Elijay, I love it there. We are planning a trip to checkout Asheville this summer.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Oh gosh, I've talked about why I like Brevard so many times on this forum. You can probably read through it all.

For starters, here is a Brevard web site. Land of Waterfalls | Brevard & Transylvania County, NC, Tourism: outdoor recreation, arts & culture, accommodations, dining and more!

It has 250 waterfalls in the county, proximity to Asheville without being too close, a serious music school that gives concerts, a pleasant downtown that's not just a tourist trap, art galleries, grocery with local/organic food, great library, path leading from the downtown right into the national forest, and it's close to other towns I like to visit. etc ...

It's also a more progressive place than Hiawassee, GA where I live now. We don't have local organic food and we don't even have recycling unless you haul it yourself. They aren't exactly visionaries here.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
There are tons of mosquitoes in WNC and more so in the right areas(aka if you live near a creek or pond). I would say Brevard more so than most of WNC because its a temperate rain forest. Spent a summer in Rosman and remember going for runs, if I stopped, I was definitely attacked. I couldn't sit on my porch in Fairview without a couple citronella candles. Other areas I remember mosquitoes are: crabtree falls near linville and the bent creek area.

You might get some relief but mosquitoes are everywhere.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 12-29-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM

32 posts, read 185,686 times
Thank you. I will check out some of your other posts. We are talking about taking a trip to the area some time this summer to check things out.

If things go well, we will plan a move 2-3 years from now.
We're in Tampa Bay area and it is so packed down here. If it was just my wife and I, I would love to move to Ellijay, GA. But we have a 5 year old and need to find any area that has a selection of highly rated schools.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 AM

That's so odd, Saucy. I haven't experienced that and I've lived very near a lake and a creek in the mountains. On rare occasions we'd see a tiny mosquito.

At any rate, it's nothing like the lowlands of Florida. Flat Rock was settled by people from Charleston seeking to escape the summer heat and malaria of the coast.

The worst bites I've gotten here have been from whatever tiny unseen things there are that live in blackberry bushes and grassy areas.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM

358 posts, read 785,698 times
Find an elevated area that has no standing water and few trees, it can be anywhere around here. We live in Weaverville on 10 acres on a knoll with few trees around the house and we spend all summer on the front porch way into the night and rarely see a mosquito. The Noseums can be an issue in tall grassy areas that do not have established yards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina