Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,407 times

Advertisements

Helloooo. I am planning on relocating to Asheville later this year and attending UNCA. I am a 23 year old single female so I am a little older than the younger university crowd so I would like to stay away from college-student infested areas (if they exist). I would be living by myself so safety is definitely a concern. I have been to Asheville before but not with the intention of moving there. I've been doing apartment research online and have found some gated communities and some newer apartment complexes since as Verde Vista Apartments. My budget is probably about $600-800 a month. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 71,980 times
try westmont commons they are safe and a little bit outside of the city.....you could also try pinnacle ridge which is right next to UNCA but doesn't have many college kids. I live there and they are not bad, just a little outdated.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
might try some of the nearby small towns. e.g. mars hill, weaverville, etc. just saying don't be limited by asheville town only

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
I don't think you have to get that far from the campus to be out of the infested areas.

The campus is off the main drags, but even driving in the area it doesn't have the college vibe you experience around the bigger universities. W.T. Weaver Blvd is a cut through I use frequently (main access is off this road) and it's almost like UNCA wasn't there.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,299 times
My Daughter moved up here first about 2 years ago alone and moved into the Meadows Apts(the newer ones)they're in West Asheville,and she never had any prob the apts are nice just be sure they are the newer ones if you check them out.And they also allow pets if you have any.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,407 times
thank you for your suggestions! i will keep doing research.

can anyone tell me what north asheville is like, around woodfin?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 32,303 times
North Asheville is diverse with varying price options. The Woods is only $500 for two bdrms and on busline.
West Asheville is more diverse BUT there are bad elements and areas. Note that there are some infamous projects in that area.
There's a lot of Hippies. And unique characters in W. Ash. I like the fact that food stores and shopping is convenient there but druggies everywhere. My favorite area is where I live. Arden. Beautiful views. Fresh area a country atmosphere and great neighbors. Only thing I don't like is Ingles food stores everywhere and Walmart. I would agree that you should not limit yourself to asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina