Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,763,929 times

Advertisements

If you are coming back up and getting tired of zigzagging on the interstate system try this route: I-75 to Macon and US129 up to I-85. Forget it if you're coming up on a Saturday and Georgia has a home game in Athens. Although it is 100 miles of two lanes we enjoy this route.
Have a safe trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,524,572 times
We are coming up on Friday but that all depends on so many things.We have our hotel booked and the kennel booked also just in case.I forget how we come up we use a navagation system.The first time we went up we had a two hour delay in Fl and then in Georgia.I don't want to have that happen again. Just heard on another site that we need a re lawyer in NC.We have never used one in Ca or in Fl.We always had our agent and then the title Co.This just through me plus our agent here has not given us the greatest advise. She wants our home priced as it is but no one has been through. Plenty of phone calls to her as our out side sale sheets are taken. That tells me we are priced to high and we have to go lower but all she says the comps show she is right. I am going to call her and tell her that the comps in Fl mean nothing since they change weekly.She is not use to a market like this but we have been through it so I see a new realtor in our future. Next week to be exact we will change to the realtor that sold us this home and she knows how it is.
Thanks for a different route. This is the third time going up to NC and it is beginning to cost $$$$$.Not so much for us but the kennel is costly.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM

24 posts, read 79,331 times
Default Olde Farm

Olde Farm does not have a water treatment facility in it, Deer Creek subdivision does. I live in Olde Farm and I have looked at Deer Creek and that is where I saw the treatment plant and decided to buy in Olde Farm.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 AM

108 posts, read 384,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We are coming up on Friday but that all depends on so many things.We have our hotel booked and the kennel booked also just in case.I forget how we come up we use a navagation system.
Thanks for a different route. This is the third time going up to NC and it is beginning to cost $$$$$.Not so much for us but the kennel is costly.
Hi Lorriem,
Little late now, as you should be there this weekend (lucky you!)... but since you're driving, why not take the pups with you? There seem to be a good number of dog friendly accomodations there. This past spring we drove down from CT with our guys, and found places to stay along the way (some really nice), and rented a cottage in Candler for a week. The dogs loved it!

Just curious, and sorry if this is old material, but wondering if you lived in WNC before? I've been hearing that it's best to rent in an area before you buy if it's new to you, so that will be my next plan.
Hope you had a successful weekend!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-gal View Post
Olde Farm does not have a water treatment facility in it, Deer Creek subdivision does. I live in Olde Farm and I have looked at Deer Creek and that is where I saw the treatment plant and decided to buy in Olde Farm.
Sorry you are right I get those two confused. I liked Olde farm but we cannot buy in there. they have a restriction on how many dogs you can have. We have three and they allow only two. seems like they have had dog issues.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
Hi Lorriem,
Little late now, as you should be there this weekend (lucky you!)... but since you're driving, why not take the pups with you? There seem to be a good number of dog friendly accomodations there. This past spring we drove down from CT with our guys, and found places to stay along the way (some really nice), and rented a cottage in Candler for a week. The dogs loved it!

Just curious, and sorry if this is old material, but wondering if you lived in WNC before? I've been hearing that it's best to rent in an area before you buy if it's new to you, so that will be my next plan.
Hope you had a successful weekend!
We just might take them next time but they are not good travelers.When we moved cross country three years ago I had our doxie in my lap 8-10 hours a day for 5 days. the mini schnauzer is good and she did fine but we have since added a pappilion to the gang and for such a tiny dog what a big mouth she has. I would have to give her some major drugs for our sanity.
We have friends who live in Boone and my husband has traveled to Boone for many years on business to visit IRC and he feel in love with the area.He tried to get me to go with him for at least 10-15 years but I always had something else to do until April and fell in love with WNC also.It reminds me of Northern Ca where we lived for so many years without the price tag.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,450 times
Default Starcross Road

Hello Lorriem. Know that you have been looking at subdivisions, but if you have not found one, are you open to a non-subdivision house (probably does not have the 3 dog restriction) inside of Lenoir city limits but near Hibriten Mountain?

While we were driving back from the Molasses Festival today, we ended up on Starcross Road a "country" road, but on the eastern side of Lenoir and south of the Hibriten Mountain Road (HMR.) There were two houses for sale near HMR. Looking on the computer now, I found the RE office listing for one of them at: http://www.alicereidrealty.com/listnow/listings.html (broken link)

It is a 1568 sq. foot, two story, 3/2 on 9/10 of an acre and is at 1568 Starcross Road, Lenoir, 28645.

The other house was nearby (within a few blocks on Starcross.) Did not find the RE office listing for that, but if a non-sub-division house interests and you were in that area, it should be easy to find.

Good luck house hunting. Any questions, ask!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,450 times
Default Starcross

Wrong address on Starcross (reused the square footage for the street address!)

The address is 1905 Starcross Road

Sorry!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM

Thank you vq1
That is a nice looking house but we prefer a subdivision. We saw several today and one was on Husband Creek Rd the zip is Lenoir and the Area name is Gamewell the subdivision is Country Acreas Estates and it is on a little more then an acre.I still have my favorites one in cajahs mts and one in Deer Creek but the price on Husband Creek Rd is very good and is only 2 years old.If we had a buyer for our home I would know which way to go.Our Bank seems to think we can handle two mortgages but I am not so sure.
Thank you for thinking about me I will show these to hubby but we are going home bright and early tomorrow. We are going to have a serious talk with our FL realtor since she hasn't thought it seems to give us a call on the open house we had Saturday.I haven't a clue what happened traffic wise. I see a change in her future with us.She has never gone through a down market like we are having and I don't think she knows what to do.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 PM

92 posts, read 480,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Our Bank seems to think we can handle two mortgages but I am not so sure.
Lorriem,

Banks wanting people to think they could handle more than they should have is what caused the housing bubble / sub-prime situation the market is currently experiencing. Obviously everyone's situation is unique and in some cases it might be the right thing to do. My only comment is that in the current market, having 2 mortgages and betting on the sale coming soon enough is a pretty risky proposition. Especially if your existing home is in one of the bubble markets where housing inventory is really high.

Good luck with whatever you decide and in getting your realtor situation sorted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina