Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,873 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NC and in FL in our county just started 3 year rabies shot and three year distemper shot also is it the same here. We have three dogs and I hate to gie them more then they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We are moving to NC and in FL in our county just started 3 year rabies shot and three year distemper shot also is it the same here. We have three dogs and I hate to gie them more then they need.
Just bring the pet records with you.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM

[quote=mm34b;1627617]Just bring the pet records with you.[/QUOT

We did that when we moved to FL from CA three years ago and in the county we moved to at that time required every year rabies shot and distemper every year also. they just changed that to every three years last year.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:06 PM

108 posts, read 383,756 times
As far as I know, the only vaccine required by LAW is rabies. The incidence of distemper in adult dogs is extremely rare, and any adult dog previously vaccinated (or not) is immune for life. For that matter, any dog which has had a single rabies vaccine only has a one in 8 million chance of contracting rabies. There has NEVER been an instance of a dog which has had two rabies shots EVER contracting rabies (references available). Those are VERY dangerous shots with a high incidence of side effects. If you have adult dogs, I would simply stay off the radar and shoot no more.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:40 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
As far as I know, the only vaccine required by LAW is rabies. The incidence of distemper in adult dogs is extremely rare, and any adult dog previously vaccinated (or not) is immune for life. For that matter, any dog which has had a single rabies vaccine only has a one in 8 million chance of contracting rabies. There has NEVER been an instance of a dog which has had two rabies shots EVER contracting rabies (references available). Those are VERY dangerous shots with a high incidence of side effects. If you have adult dogs, I would simply stay off the radar and shoot no more.
Our vets NEVER recommended these shots for OLDER dogs, who are more sensitive to side effects.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:

I agree and I lost my "heart dog" to the rabies shot at 13 years old. She was and still is the dog that was meant for me. We do board our dogs when we visit our grandkids in CA or have to take the plane anywhere the breeders insist they have all their shots. Distemper in CA and in Fl is also mandatory as is kennel cough . Our three dogs even though they stay in the same pen ( we insist on that) cost more for a 5 day stay then we do at a motel.

Last edited by lorriem; 10-02-2007 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: V doesn't work right

Old 10-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
I agree and I lost my "heart dog" to the rabies shot at 13 years old. She was and still is the dog that was meant for me. We do board our dogs when we visit our grandkids in CA or have to take the plane anywhere the breeders insist they have all their shots. Distemper in CA and in Fl is also mandatory as is kennel cough . Our three dogs even though they stay in the same pen ( we insist on that) cost more for a 5 day stay then we do at a motel.
Well, again... the only one required "by law" is rabies... those other "mandatory" ones are arbitrarily imposed by boarding places and for that reason I simply won't go there. We use a pet sitter who comes in our home. We don't have a good one at the moment, and so are taking seperate vacations (heading to NC by myself at the end of the month)
I can't let some ignoramus who knows nothing about immunology destroy the health of my animals!

Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Well, again... the only one required "by law" is rabies... those other "mandatory" ones are arbitrarily imposed by boarding places and for that reason I simply won't go there. We use a pet sitter who comes in our home. We don't have a good one at the moment, and so are taking seperate vacations (heading to NC by myself at the end of the month)
I can't let some ignoramus who knows nothing about immunology destroy the health of my animals!

Our boarding is in our vets office he has a special side for that and we know that they are teken care of. This is the first place that they come home happy and not stressed.We have boarded all our dogs some no longer with us and they all had required all shots and not only this state.
How does a pet sitter work? do they only come a few times a day if so that is not acceptable but I don't want someone liing in my house also.
Enjoy NC from one dog lover to another.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM

How does a pet sitter work? do they only come a few times a day if so that is not acceptable but I don't want someone liing in my house also.
Enjoy NC from one dog lover to another.[/quote]

There are different types of pet sitters... finding ones to actually stay in your home is the hardest, but it can be done. For the past few years I had someone who works at the local doggie day care, and she was great. But they all get married or pregnant or leave for college and then you start over And yes, it is scary having a stranger staying in your home... I have some stories from the last 20 years that would curl your hair!!! It's best if you can have a trusted relative or friend keeping an eye on the situation. However, I am still willing to put up with this, rather than subjecting my dogs to dangerous and unnecessary toxic assaults.

This last time, we tried the more traditional sitters, who come in your home several times a day but don't stay over. Although the sitter is great and I know she really puts time in with the dogs, it wasn't enough (spoiled dogs). So, now we are on the search once again.

Hope if I ever get to live in NC there will be some petsitters there!
Because of my furry family, I am concerned about such a move... there is a lot of anti-dog stuff going on throughout the state, and I surely don't want to move there only to have to move away to pursue my doggie activities!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Enjoy NC from one dog lover to another.

There are different types of pet sitters... finding ones to actually stay in your home is the hardest, but it can be done. For the past few years I had someone who works at the local doggie day care, and she was great. But they all get married or pregnant or leave for college and then you start over And yes, it is scary having a stranger staying in your home... I have some stories from the last 20 years that would curl your hair!!! It's best if you can have a trusted relative or friend keeping an eye on the situation. However, I am still willing to put up with this, rather than subjecting my dogs to dangerous and unnecessary toxic assaults.

This last time, we tried the more traditional sitters, who come in your home several times a day but don't stay over. Although the sitter is great and I know she really puts time in with the dogs, it wasn't enough (spoiled dogs). So, now we are on the search once again.

Hope if I ever get to live in NC there will be some petsitters there!
Because of my furry family, I am concerned about such a move... there is a lot of anti-dog stuff going on throughout the state, and I surely don't want to move there only to have to move away to pursue my doggie activities![/quote]

What anti dog stuff I have never heard about that? The sitter that comes several times a day would not work for me since I have spoiled dogs also. That is why I love my current Vet/ boarders they take such good care of my fur babies who like I said look so happy when we pick them up plus my vet can take care of them if they need to be seen.They are not near the sick dogs but on the other side with different people tending to their needs.We have had other kennels that my dogs have stayed at in different states that I didn't like but then again some were very good. I don't know what to do now except stay at home with them when we move and never see my grandkids and other members of my family.My dogs are not good travlers and I would never put them on a plane. Been there done that years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina