Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM

162 posts, read 388,515 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I did a search for lakes in/near (very near) Waynesville and got a hit for plenty . After going down the list a way...and finding mostly small fishing lakes (which, by the way is great) I decided I would come to the ones who are really in the know for a little help.

We will be in NC the week of the 22-24 or 25 and will start in the Waynesville area as that is where we want to look around as the place to settle down

Would love to know if there are any recreational lakes in (or right near) Waynesville that we could check out.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Just caught a quick post about a Lake Junaluska? (sp?) How is it? I will do a search, but would love opinions from those who have spent time there
Thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
I can't speak for Lake Junaluska, except it appears to be surrounded by development.

The big lakes are all further west in North Carolina, but they are in areas with less developed towns.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 AM

Thank you
So, farther west than Waynesville, then? I need to do a better search and get an idea of how far a drive it would be to tow a boat, as we do not want less developed for sure LOL.

Thanks again~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I can't speak for Lake Junaluska, except it appears to be surrounded by development.

The big lakes are all further west in North Carolina, but they are in areas with less developed towns.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Hi,
I did a search for lakes in/near (very near) Waynesville and got a hit for plenty . After going down the list a way...and finding mostly small fishing lakes (which, by the way is great) I decided I would come to the ones who are really in the know for a little help.

We will be in NC the week of the 22-24 or 25 and will start in the Waynesville area as that is where we want to look around as the place to settle down

Would love to know if there are any recreational lakes in (or right near) Waynesville that we could check out.

At the northeast GA/SC line, in the foothills, lower elevation mountains etc., are: Lake Hiawassee, and Lake Jocassee recreation areas, and some lovely small towns.

Thanks for the help!

Not in/near Waynesville, which is in Haywood County) but these might interest you:

http://www.visitnantahalanc.com/index.html

Also up in/near Robbinsville (Graham County) there is Lake Santeetlah, and the Fontana Dam, beautiful.

www.townoflakesanteetlah.org

East of Asheville there is Lake James.

Near Chimney Rock (just outside of Hendersonville), there is Lake Lure.

Not sure about there being many activities on the water at this time of the year. Even if you want to do the Blue Ridge Parkway, please check their website for any closures. It can get icey at higher elevations at the end of October forward.

Enjoy your trip !

Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Thank you QuilterChick

I will search the links you provided after I post this to you!

We just want to take a look at the lakes provided we have enough time during our trip...just to see where they are etc. for when we move

Not even sure where we will be at first, but we do know we will end up near the mountains when my husband retires in a few years.

If he can get a good job in the Waynesville/Hendersonville area, then that would be great, but we must go where the best job is first *sigh* LOL.

Thanks again, so excited to know it turned out we will be there for the fall show! (Oct. 19-25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Not in/near Waynesville, which is in Haywood County) but these might interest you:

http://www.visitnantahalanc.com/index.html

Also up in/near Robbinsville (Graham County) there is Lake Santeetlah, and the Fontana Dam, beautiful.

www.townoflakesanteetlah.org

East of Asheville there is Lake James.

Near Chimney Rock (just outside of Hendersonville), there is Lake Lure.

Not sure about there being many activities on the water at this time of the year. Even if you want to do the Blue Ridge Parkway, please check their website for any closures. It can get icey at higher elevations at the end of October forward.

Enjoy your trip !

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,663 times
Speedboats / water skiing is not allowed on Lake Junaluska. Lake Logan is in southern Haywood county off Hwy 215, but not sure what they allow up there. There is also Ceder Cliff Lake, Bear Lake, and Wolf Lake in the Cullowhee area of Jackson county (Sylva) just south of the college which are just 45 min to 1 hr away from Waynesville. Also Lake Thorpe which is up towards Cashiers in southern Jackson County about 1 hr away. All of those do have boat ramps.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM

RVT,
Thank you for the list! That is a wonderful start
Have a great day, and thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Speedboats / water skiing is not allowed on Lake Junaluska. Lake Logan is in southern Haywood county off Hwy 215, but not sure what they allow up there. There is also Ceder Cliff Lake, Bear Lake, and Wolf Lake in the Cullowhee area of Jackson county (Sylva) just south of the college which are just 45 min to 1 hr away from Waynesville. Also Lake Thorpe which is up towards Cashiers in southern Jackson County about 1 hr away. All of those do have boat ramps.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Thank you QuilterChick

I will search the links you provided after I post this to you!

We just want to take a look at the lakes provided we have enough time during our trip...just to see where they are etc. for when we move

Not even sure where we will be at first, but we do know we will end up near the mountains when my husband retires in a few years.

If he can get a good job in the Waynesville/Hendersonville area, then that would be great, but we must go where the best job is first *sigh* LOL.

Thanks again, so excited to know it turned out we will be there for the fall show! (Oct. 19-25)
Also, check the lakes at northeast GA/SC/NC borders. Such as Lake Chautaugua (sp?), Lake Keowee, Lake Hiawassee, Lake Jocassee ad Devils Fork State Park below. Also Lake James which is east of Asheville over near Morganton. (I've been to most of these over the years when we had our motorhome. Awesome.) But #1 priority: JOBS... I hear you. So you will want to be within a 20 mile radius of more population density such as the ASheville area. You can be well within activities at that radius.

Lake Jocassee - South Carolina Trout Fishing - Devils Fork State Park

South Carolina Parks - South Carolina Parks Official Site

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
It's Lake Chatuge. Half of it is in North Carolina and half is in Georgia. The town in NC is tiny Hayesville and the towns in Georgia are Hiawassee and Young Harris.

Lake Hiwassee, is southeast of Murphy, but it's pretty far from town.

Lake Nantahala is in far west Macon County and is very isolated.

Lake Glenville is in Cashiers.

Lake Lure is northeast of Hendersonville.

And there's the other lakes Quilter mentioned in NC and SC.

Part of Chatuge, and all of Hiwassee, Santeetlah, and Fontana are TVA lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina