U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM

652 posts, read 2,110,957 times

Advertisements

I've been doing renovations for over 30 years and currently have my house up for sale. Its a c:1680 farmhouse on Long Island 45 min to NYC on the North Shore. You can see it in my website ..its the Goose Hill Rd, project
Clifford Renovations & Restorations; Cold Spring, NY
My question is...Btween Black Mtn and Asheville where can I find some beautiful prioperty with or without a house I could redo or build to make a profit on...and the second part of my question is how hard does anyone thing it would be to start ny renovations and restoations company back up again around there?
Does anyone know if people spend money doing up their houses or isn't that a big thing around there?
My budget is around ...under $700,000....maybe $400000 for land and up to 7 w/something on it.
Thanks
andy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM

79 posts, read 341,075 times
Andy,
Housing is a very big deal here & you have enough $ to get in - but there are no houses anywhere near as old as the historic houses up north. Also I don't think there is the interest, Lots of new McMansions here. tons of new builders, Spec houses ect. A lot of competition !! However There is an interest in the Bungalow/ craftsman style. You need to come down here for a while and get a feel for the market, its different. Best of luck to you

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks...I'm not really looking for a house like the one I have now. i understand they pretty much don't exist down there. Not looking to do any McMansions either. Just something tasteful.
It looks to me from checking on the web down there that houses are being built really inexpensivly somehow which means to me I could never make any money doing my own which was why I asked question two...could I make money doing renovations down there for other people.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,708,889 times
Black Mt in nice, not sure if you'll find any existing homes to rehab and then resell with the market turning soft pretty much everywhere.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 AM

648 posts, read 2,795,805 times
I know you'd find a market for a nicely redone older home in/near downtown black mountain, or in North Asheville. If you can do up a nice historic home in either of those areas, I'm sure you could find a buyer.

The high-end new home market between Blk Mtn and Asheville is about to be flooded by the Cliffs (www.cliffscommunities.com/hc15 - broken link) development (probably ranging from just under a mil. to several mil.)

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
I know you'd find a market for a nicely redone older home in/near downtown black mountain, or in North Asheville. If you can do up a nice historic home in either of those areas, I'm sure you could find a buyer.

The high-end new home market between Blk Mtn and Asheville is about to be flooded by the Cliffs (www.cliffscommunities.com/hc15 - broken link) development (probably ranging from just under a mil. to several mil.)

Thanks Coop...I'm not looking to make any killings although that would always be nice but thats not my motivation.
My passion is building...building almost anything but as its turned out...the past 32+ years its all evolved around homes.
I'm just happy to keep honing my craft but I'd like to get paid for it.
I think with the house I just finsihed that we live in...thats now on the market people do see love thats gone into my work...unfortunatly the market is really crappy right now.
Who knows...it could sell tomorrow for all I know..or not but in the interim I'm looking to get some sort of semi solid feeling as where to go.

I originally wanted Northern California but the prices there are exhorbatant which would even be OK if the market were better...I could get back what I put out.

The thing about NC is that it IS affordable and I DO like the lay of the land and the fact that the Asheville area is somewhat artsy.

Thing is I just need to get more clear as to wether or not I can make a fair living there doing what I do between my own reno and working on other people's homes as well.

Northern Ca where we were looking is seriously expensive which in some ways is a plus for me if i could find the right piece of property/house like I did with the one I'm in now and the one before this like I have in my website.

I'm pretty creative and resouceful and i'm not looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....sittin' back and looking at the rainbow is good enough for me as long as I'm comfortable and doing what I love.

At 57 I'm not sure how many more of these I have left in me so it would be nice to find something of substance that'd leave me.....well...comfortable...pretty open ended statement huh? lol
Thanks again
andy

Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 AM

15,835 posts, read 33,176,251 times
Hi andybuildz - I think you can do well in Asheville, there is still a lot of room for price appreciation if you get in now (as compared to overpriced California). There are no guarantees, of course, but remodeling IS big in this town, and there is always a demand for skilled craftsmen.

Maybe you could rent in the area for awhile and have a good realtor help scout out a good deal for you, personally. Realtors might even be able to help you find some neat houses to remodel for others, if that is what you would like to do.

Anyway, with your budget, you should be able to find a pretty nice piece of property, especially now since the market has gone a bit soft.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi andybuildz - I think you can do well in Asheville, there is still a lot of room for price appreciation if you get in now (as compared to overpriced California). There are no guarantees, of course, but remodeling IS big in this town, and there is always a demand for skilled craftsmen.

Maybe you could rent in the area for awhile and have a good realtor help scout out a good deal for you, personally. Realtors might even be able to help you find some neat houses to remodel for others, if that is what you would like to do.

Anyway, with your budget, you should be able to find a pretty nice piece of property, especially now since the market has gone a bit soft.

Good luck!
Thanks gyp....problem with this soft market is that selling MY house is also gonna be a trick so.....
I'm a lot closer than before I finished it though...its actually listed so all I need now is a miracle...I mean a buyer...lol.

Money DOES dictate what extent I can do what I'd like to do which is why I always keep my options open and don't try and kid myself.
Another reason I asked about the need for remodeling work down there.
The ultimate thing for me is to just do my own work...buy/fix-up or build or a little of everything which would include working on other people's homes.

Anyway...thanks again for the response. Its good to know whats shakin' from local people.

Oh yeh...and...no way I'd rent...other people have suggested that as well but if I had to move all my tools more than once in a year I think I'd rather just stay here...lol...what a nightmare that is. Its like impossible to pack tools like it is furnature and household stuff...ugh.
That should be the worst of my worries right now though
andy

Old 10-15-2007, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 764,498 times
Your best bet would be to try downtown Black Mountain, still a pretty desirable market that you could buy a fixer and flip it. But tons of people are moving here to do just that so it is becoming quite saturated, unless you have something really special to offer, which it sounds like you may. Homes/land off North Fork Road are really pretty. Good luck. You will not find a cooler town than Black Mountain in WNC.....just my opinion.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
Your best bet would be to try downtown Black Mountain, still a pretty desirable market that you could buy a fixer and flip it. But tons of people are moving here to do just that so it is becoming quite saturated, unless you have something really special to offer, which it sounds like you may. Homes/land off North Fork Road are really pretty. Good luck. You will not find a cooler town than Black Mountain in WNC.....just my opinion.
Thanks for the insider info...now all I have to do is sell my crib...then maybe I'll see ya at the BM hardware store one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina