Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM

510 posts, read 1,378,144 times

Advertisements

Downtown West Jefferson is at 3000' and downtown Boone around ASU campus is about 3200'. Main Street in Blowing Rock is about 3,600'. You won't find too many actual towns at even 3000' since most are built in the valleys but you may be able to find buildable property nearby even at 4000'. But, you better be a real "boy scout" to obtain services and survive the winters in such locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
We have a family house on the new peace river in crumpler, I love it, Ashe county is so nice and peaceful. Blowing ROck and Boone aren't far to drive to go out to dinner and take in a little night life if you like to do that once in awhile. I have to get back up there, Florida has kept me here too long this time. haven't been to our house in a few years. it's time to go

Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,942 times
Default Is Jefferson, NC good for young children?

We're thinking of moving to Jefferson and have 3 kids - ages 5 (boy), 8 (boy) and 13 (girl). Are there many of this age in the area?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM

586 posts, read 1,965,845 times
Plenty!!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,272,941 times
I am thinking really hard about a move back home to WNC and am finding myself priced out of where I grew up so I was thinking Avery County. Given the nice comments I will give Ashe County a quiet look and see how it goes. Thank you for the insight.

Question, any future efforts to bring in more medical facilities?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,807 times
We live in the panhandle of Florida and can not tollerate the heat any longer. found a house foir rent in Lansing that we are praying to get. So glad to hear so many good things about the Ashe area. We are looking for a secluded mountain retreat, yet close enough to water to go fishing. We are somewhat disabled and need some medical care, I hope thats not going to be a problem. But other than that we enjoy motorcycling riding, gardening,and wild life, and of course fishing. Is there any horse back riding in the area?

Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 AM

Hi Mystic and welcome!

"In the area" is relative. I'm pretty sure that the closest decent riding to you would be Leatherwood. Not real easy to get to, but it would be a good day trip. There is also a riding stable in Banner Elk, but as a retired professional horsewoman, I would avoid it. Unsafe, in my opinion. I've seen their tack and their horses. Most of their safety issues are things that only a pro horseperson would notice, like worn cinch straps & stirrup leathers and poorly shod horses.

Leatherwood is very nice and there is a restaurant there now. Reservations for trail rides is required. The total trip is 53 miles one way, and should take you at least an hour and a half. That's 3 hours travel time and 2 hours plus at the stables, so a good "mini-vacation!"

To get there from Lansing, find your way south and east on 88 to US-221 in Jefferson, then to US-421 in Deep Gap. Head towards Boone, but take the first left onto Old 421. Drive 4 miles (Past the parkway entrance) and turn left onto Elk Creek Rd.

This road is VERY steep in places, and mostly gravel. I don't recommend you take your bikes. If you had to stop or turn around for any reason you might get into trouble pretty quickly. In the car you will want to shift into 1st gear part or all of the way to save your brakes. Go all the way to the bottom (12 miles) and turn left on Elk Creek/Darby Rd. In 1.7 miles, Leatherwood Stables will be on your left. Their number is (800)462-6867 and their website is at Leatherwood Mountain - Blue Ridge Mountain Resort

Again, welcome to the mountains! Have fun riding!

Tracey

Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 AM

Default A little bit of Heaven . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic me View Post
We live in the panhandle of Florida and can not tollerate the heat any longer.
I forgot to mention that I lived near Live Oak for 5 years, in Wellborn and Branford. Sorry, "Wellburn" and "Branferd!" LOL Where in the PH are you coming from? Glad you're on your way! You know, we call that the armpit of the country for a reason!!

Congratulations on your move! You will think you're in heaven up here, but winter in Lansing can be intimidating to the transplant. Ashe County is pretty good with their roads, but when it snows you'll want to stay home until the snow stops and the plows make it by. The snow melts in a couple of days, but ice on 88 (Your main route to Wal-Mart) may remain in the shady spots. I recommend studded tires on your drive axle, hopefully front wheel drive at least. Four wheel drive is a huge plus! Just remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't help on ice! Studs are the way to go! Do NOT underestimate the slope of the roads! This is why schools close when it flurries! If it was Minnesota we would drive on the snow and ice with no worries. Here, you can start downhill sideways in a hurry!! But as my son told me one day, if you go off the road, the trees will catch you! LOL

How will you heat your home? Depending on what you use for heat, in a "normal" winter, you will spend $1000 to $1500 on heat beginning in Late September and lasting into April. Snow at Easter is common. Electric heat, depending on how well insulated your home is, can cost as much as $400/month. I combine elec. with wood and end the winter with about $1200 spent on heat over the 6 month period.

Trust me, you'll love it!! Winter is beautiful, and seeing deer feeding in the backyard in the snow makes it all worth it!

How soon are you moving?

Tracey

Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,807 times
Run, avoid Ashe county at all costs. I would also avoid the New River. My son once got injured there and the hospital stuck a dozen shots in him and told me the river was so nasty infections were a real threat. I recently moved from a property I thought I was purchasing which actually turned out to be a scam rental at which the septic was overflowing and going right into a stream that flowed right into the New River at Mill Creek, close to Todd, another long story. Ashe County's waterways are no longer safe and several streams are badly contaminated. Take it from a life long time resident, Ashe County isn't what it's advertised to be. Between the Christmas tree chemicals contaminating the water supplies, and the sewage, I'd go anywhere if I had the choice except Ashe county.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Wow! What a first post! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience Janet. It's true that the New River has problems, but so does every other waterway in America! The good news is that there is an ongoing clean-up effort. Read about it here: National Committee for the New River Only two streams are badly contaminated and they are being cleaned up. Overall, the waterways of the state of NC rate a 55, on a scale of 1 to 100, and the New River is a 94!

The water table and wells are in good shape as well, but before you buy, it's always a good idea to have the well tested for contaminants, no matter where you live. High iron and sulfur content does occur here, but it is rare.

I sense that the statement about "a dozen shots" was an exaggeration and if the river were truly nasty, 1. Boone wouldn't want it for a new drinking water source, and 2. thousands of people each year wouldn't be fishing, canoeing, tubing, and swimming in it!

Christmas trees are grown everywhere in the North Carolina mountains, especially above 3000'. To advise not to move to areas where trees are grown is tantamount to saying, "Don't move to the mountains at all!" Christmas trees are essential for the economy of the high country. It's true that some pesticides can be found in well water, but this is not limited to Christmas trees, but all farmland and crop growing areas. If you are concerned about "drift" of pesticides, don't live next door to a tree (or other crop) farm! Here is more information about pesticide use and water quality: Health Concerns about Pesticides Used in Christmas Trees

Any place in America has it's advantages and it's drawbacks. It's up to the individual to determine what is best for them.

Janet, I pray that the Lord will bless you wherever you have to live! Welcome to the City-Data family!

Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina