Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 24,350 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing a second home in Ashe County in the communities of either Jefferson or West Jefferson. We fell in love with the communities after finding the congestion of Boone a little too much for day to day. But we love the proximity to Boone and all the amenities needed for daily living seem to be so readily available in Ashe County that it seemed ideal. The arts are alive there and there are many friendly people. Can anyone give me the pros or cons about the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Too small and remote for my tastes, but I have family in Jefferson and they are very satisfied. Ashe county will continue to grow. The climate is a bit cooler than other mountain areas such as Asheville. I believe the elevation of Jefferson is around 1,000 feet higher.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I have owned a second home in Ashe County for just over a year now and I love it! I agree that Boone is just too congested to be an escape, but the slow pace of Ashe is just right. West Jeff is a charming little town, and will likely continue to improve in the coming years. There aren't a lot of great restaurants around, but it's not too far to Boone or Blowing Rock. We're in Crumpler, so it's about 45 minutes to Boone.

I love the climate and the friendly people. We're in a riverfront community, and there is a lot of water in the county so finding something like that is not hard. I love having the river to fish in or hike along the banks. Its only a short drive to one of the most scenic areas on the east coast...Mt. Rogers Rec. Area. You already mentioned the thriving arts scene, too. There's just so much to do in and around Ashe County.

As for real estate, you can still find some great bargains up there, but appreciation has been quite strong. I believe real estate in Ashe County will continue to be a good investment opportunity.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 8,136 times
I live in Ashe County on the New River in Fleetwood. I have lived in this county all my life. It is a great county to live in. I have traveled across the country and out of the U.S. One of our biggest problems is the medical area. We are good but we need to improve. A lot of people go to Boone to the doctor. Another problem is we don't have a lot of jobs because most of jobs have been sent overseas. As for schools we have 4 elementary, one middle and one high school. We also have a Wilkes Community College (Ashe Campus). Main campus is in Wilkes County. We are also near Boone where App. State University is located. You can be in Virginia, and Tennessee in no time. As for the beaches in NC, we own a house in Surf City on Topsail Island and can get from one end of the state to the other in about 5-6 hours depending on how many stops we make. People are friendly and helpful and treat you with respect if you do the same, like every where else in the world.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Thanks for your response!

Thank you so very much for your honest input about your hometown. We feel very welcome and safe and our blood pressure just seems to drop significantly when we enter Ashe County so maybe medical care won't be too urgently needed. We are looking forward to closing on our new home within the month! I think the decision is going to be one of the best we have ever made. Enjoy your weekend! Fleetwood gives you easy accesss both to Boone and West Jefferson. You have a good location. Thanks again! Alva Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybritches View Post
I live in Ashe County on the New River in Fleetwood. I have lived in this county all my life. It is a great county to live in. I have traveled across the country and out of the U.S. One of our biggest problems is the medical area. We are good but we need to improve. A lot of people go to Boone to the doctor. Another problem is we don't have a lot of jobs because most of jobs have been sent overseas. As for schools we have 4 elementary, one middle and one high school. We also have a Wilkes Community College (Ashe Campus). Main campus is in Wilkes County. We are also near Boone where App. State University is located. You can be in Virginia, and Tennessee in no time. As for the beaches in NC, we own a house in Surf City on Topsail Island and can get from one end of the state to the other in about 5-6 hours depending on how many stops we make. People are friendly and helpful and treat you with respect if you do the same, like every where else in the world.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I have owned a second home in Ashe County for just over a year now and I love it! I agree that Boone is just too congested to be an escape, but the slow pace of Ashe is just right. West Jeff is a charming little town, and will likely continue to improve in the coming years. There aren't a lot of great restaurants around, but it's not too far to Boone or Blowing Rock. We're in Crumpler, so it's about 45 minutes to Boone.

I love the climate and the friendly people. We're in a riverfront community, and there is a lot of water in the county so finding something like that is not hard. I love having the river to fish in or hike along the banks. Its only a short drive to one of the most scenic areas on the east coast...Mt. Rogers Rec. Area. You already mentioned the thriving arts scene, too. There's just so much to do in and around Ashe County.

As for real estate, you can still find some great bargains up there, but appreciation has been quite strong. I believe real estate in Ashe County will continue to be a good investment opportunity.
Thank you for your opinions on Ashe County. It sounds like we have similar profiles. We just have chosen a home on a hill with a view of the mountains instead of heading toward the river like you have. My aunt lives in Damascus Va. so I have spent some time around White Top and the Virginia Creeper Trail and I will look forward to spending time around the Mount Rogers Recreation Area too. Thank you for all your input. Sometimes you second guess your decision but Ashe County just felt like home to us.

Have a restful weekend! Alva Girl

Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,479 times
I love Ashe County. My Mom grew up there, and my aunt and cousin still live on the same property that my grandfather was born on in the late 1800s. They've got about 100 acres total, near the Allegheny County line. I go up a couple of times a year, and we usually rent a cabin on the river. I feel like I've come home every time I go, and we hope to build a retirement home there.

Make sure you check out Shatley Springs!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 PM

45 posts, read 178,286 times
Darn! I was hoping no one would find out about Ashe County. I originally bought outside of Boone while I was still working. However, 6-8 miles on Elk Creek Road (up and down with at least 3 cutbacks) to get to my gated community finally got to me. I could no longer afford a 2nd home in Watauga County so I started looking in Ashe County.

I bought about 5-6 miles outside of West Jefferson. My neighbors are friendly when I'm up there, and they've helped me take care of things when I'm in FL.
I'm a widow who quit cooking after my husband died. Within the Jeffersons, I can eat Japanese, Mexican, country, and cheap. The Winner's Circle in Jefferson is the biggest bargain around for lunch. You can get an entree, 3 sides (1 can be cobbler), biscuit or cornbread for $4.95 when I was last up there. If I want more selction, I drive to Boone.

If you're an "outsider", be careful about going to Mountain House Restaurant in Boone. The female owner made sure to tell my sister that this wasn't FL. My sister didn't realize that even though she charged her meal, she was going to have to walk back to the table to leave the tip for the waitress. The owner won't do that for her staff. I've not been back since.

I never say "We do it this or that way in Florida" because it really ticks them off--and rightly so. Some North Carolinians resent Floridians and/or northerners who say that, partially because we came up there and ran the prices of the houses so high that most working people can't afford to buy a house. I sympathize because we Floridians have suffered the same thing. My mom bought a new 3/2 with garage for $67,900 in 1993. That same house got to over $200k before the foreclosure disasters happened.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 PM

40 posts, read 79,642 times
Good post Galena. Most people don't care about where anyone else is from unless they bring it up repeatedly. I'm glad you enjoy the Ashe County area. Ooh, next time you hit up Winner's Circle, go for breakfast and get the pancakes. Hubcap size, I tell you!

To the larger point about the Jeffersons; they're small, quiet, and fairly rural. If that's your thing, come on down! If its not, and you find its driving you crazy, Boone is a short jaunt, as is Winston at about an hour and twenty minutes, and Asheville is only an hour and a half. Whoever made the larger point about health care, you're right. We seem to be transitioning into a more retirement based community, so if you suffer from a multitude of health problems, this rural community may not be for you. They simply don't seem to have high quality medical facilities (though the staff has always been excellent) in Jefferson. I'm a young guy that grew up in Ashe county, that absolutely loved it. Some people complain about the rural nature of the area, but I find those people have a hard time getting along anywhere. I liked to play in the mud as a kid and I find that entertainment just comes easy. Anyway, though I hope it stays fairly small, Ashe county is a great area (as is Wilkes, Watauga, Avery, Carroll, and Patrick counties) and I hope you'll consider it.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Prices seem very reasonable for housing in West Jefferson. I fell in love with Blowing Rock but haven't visited West Jefferson yet. Can anyone advise me on the elevation difference between the Blowing Rock/Boone area and West Jefferson. I want elevation and was hoping above 3500 feet. I can't wait to check out West Jeff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina