U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM

1,910 posts, read 3,011,809 times

Advertisements

That is an AMAZING photo....does anyone else see a lady on the top right by the roof????? I'm really sorry to hear about your Grandmother.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,829,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
That is an AMAZING photo....does anyone else see a lady on the top right by the roof????? I'm really sorry to hear about your Grandmother.
Okay, I've got goose bumps as big as marbles all over my body after looking at that picture, and the hair on the back of my neck is just standing straight on end. I KNEW I shouldn't have looked, dang I'm spooked now!!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM

30 posts, read 41,791 times
I totally don't see anything. Lol, I never see anything! And as far as the lights, sometimes that happens when I take pictures with my camera, if it's dark and you're not standing still. I don't know, maybe it could be something.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM

5,235 posts, read 8,372,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLaurel View Post
Here is a picture of a house near Marshall we took at night. It was supposedly haunted and was at one time a school,I was told. We didn't see anything when my husband took the picture but as you can see some strange type of lightning or something is coming out each door.
Long shutter speed + moving camera + two fireflies (my best guess) = no ghosts

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,200 times
Default Sandrakaye7173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine Carraway View Post
That's Joann Denton. She's actually a really nice lady - she worked with my mother-in-law in the 70s, so she was there for the famous "funeral". She tells ghost stories and about Frankie Silver each year at Halloween for the local kids. She also ran for mayor back years ago, and sang country music for a short time. Here's a link to a newspaper article from a couple years back, for those who don't know what we're talking about : News-Herald Article (http://www.morganton.com/servlet/Satellite?c=MGArticle&pagename=MNH/MGArticle/MNH_BasicArticle&cid=1173353311172 - broken link)
I too know Joann Denton, and agree she is a very lovely lady! just don't make her mad! lol jus kidding! I've not been in contact with her in some time now, but let me tell u she is for real folks! she knows her stuff! She can tell u things about urself without her knowing a thing about u, Let u speak to those who have passed on! She is the real deal! And Grey shadows is haunted too... Go see her! If she still lives there? If anyone knows will u post me back please?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,654,141 times
tis this ghostly season.... great additions everyone..

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-11-2010 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,827 times
dos any one know of JoAnn Denton. (the famous witch of morganton nc) she is related to me and i would like to meet her. i dont wanna just go to her home.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 PM

112 posts, read 305,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Asheville - The Grove Park Inn -
There is a lady dressed in pink that haunts this Inn. You can see her and hear her late at night. Several guests and employees have had several encounters with her. She is known to tickle toes at night while visitors are attempting to sleep. She is said to be the wife of the famous writer Fitzgerald. When you get close to room 545, it seems to get cold. You can usually here doors slamming, laughter, and talking from rooms that are not used.

I worked at Grove Park in 1997 as a maintenance man. Everyone there was told the stories of the Pink Lady. I never heard the story of her being the wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Actually Zelda Fitzgerald (F. Scott's wife) is said to haunt the old mental hospital in Montford on Zillacoa St. It is the large 4 story brick building, Highland Hall. Today it is the business office for Genovia Diagnostics. Zelda died in a fire that happen in a building that use to be next door to Highland Hall, the fire completely destroyed the building & killed several patients. Zelda Fitzgerald was one of the patients who was killed. Many employees at Genovia Diagnostics have said to hear & see things throughout the building. The also claim to the woman they see looks exactly like the photos of Zelda.

As for the Pink Lady at Grove Park. As an employee I was told that the story went.....During the roaring 20's a young woman fell or was pushed off the balcony in front of room 545 (for those of you who have never been in the hotel, in the historic part of the Inn, there is a large common room on the 3rd floor known as the Palm Court. Every floor above that circles around the palm court with a balcony looking down on it. The roof is a glass dome so that natural light shines down thru that part of the hotel making it feel like it is outdoor) Little is actually known about the woman or if she even existed. Hotel records that go back to that time were not well kept & what records they do have say nothing about a woman staying in a room on that floor. Nor are there any records of a death during the 20's & 30's, But it is still very possible she was actually there & records were not properly documented.

Anyway the story goes that she either fell or was pushed off the 5th floor balcony, at the time all of the hotel had tile flooring, so when she hit the 3rd floor it killed her instantly. Since then the historic part of the Inn has had many sightings, many strange occurrences & many strange noises.

The most common occurrence happens with the elevators. In the historic part of the Inn the elevators are not fully automated like elevators are today. They have to be maned by someone. when you press the button to call the elevator the person inside will hear a buzz sound & the floor that is buzzing will light up on the call buttons. Even the doors are manual. Quite often elevator operators have reported that they get a call to the 5th floor, meaning they hear a buzz in the elevator & when they look at the call buttons the 5th floor lights up but when they get to the 5th floor nobody is there. Because of the layout of the hotel it would be difficult for someone to push the button & be out of sight before the operator would get there. Unless they happen to be staying in the room right next to the elevator. But many times that room is vacant/unrented when the elevator operators have reported it.

Room 545 has had many strange things happen in it, In the late 1950's or early 1960's a painter got cold chills on his way into the room that were so severe that he never attempted to enter again. The current facilities manager reported a similar tale. A different employee claims to have seen the Pink Lady several times over the past five years. The employee describes the apparition as a "real dense smoke", a flowing pinkish pastel.

People who believe they have encountered the spirit describe her as gentle and playful

While working there I had many personal experiences. I witnessed the 5th floor call of the elevator many times. I have gone into room 545 which was unoccupied & discovered the shower running, at least 3 times I had a call from guests staying in that room who went out for the day but when they returned the door to the bathroom was closed & locked. I know some of you are thinking, yeah so what the bathroom door was closed & locked, that could happed in any hotel by accident. However at Grove Park Inn's historic Inn, the bathroom door knobs & locks where installed in 1913.
At that time there was no building codes or laws about locks, now because the hotel is on the historical registry it allows the hotel to keep the original door hardware.

Anyway the locks can not be locked or unlocked by the outside, there is only one way in or out of the bathroom & the only way to lock it is to close the door & turn a large thumb latch that slides out a bold like you see on your front door. Meaning that the only way the bathroom doors can be locked is from the inside & once inside there is no way to get out of the bathroom without unlocking the door. So when that would happen we would have to remove the door by removing the pins from the hinges & take the door out, unlock it & then rehang the door.

The most unusual experience I had while working there was late one night I had to make my rounds at the end of my shift. I had to go to the country club which is not attached to the hotel but a separate building off from the golf course, it was originally built in the late 1800's, it was originally the Asheville Hunt club. I had to enter the building in the basement. btw it is as creepy as you could possibly imagine, dark, dirty, spiders. everything that could possibly make a basement creepy is there. I had to go in the basement to check the boiler, as I started up the stairs (the basement stairs enter to the kitchen) I hear what sounded like a kitchen full of staff, people talking, pots banging, footsteps, water running. Everything you would expect to hear in a commercial kitchen. At the time I thought it was a bit strange, they have never had a function going on at midnight before. when I open the door to the kitchen, every sound complete stooped & it was absolutely silent & dark in the room. I walked all thru the entire building never seeing a single person, then as I started to walk back to the kitchen I heard those same sounds again but just like before when I opened the door it all went silent.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,504 times
I had the privilege of meeting Joann Denton a few weeks ago when I interviewed her for my magazine. She is the sweetest lady I have ever met. The entire interview felt like three friends chatting. I can't wait until I get the time to go sit and talk with her again. She is an amazing person!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,654,141 times
tis the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina