Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 31,621 times

Advertisements

We are a fmaily of 5- I am a Special Ed. (pre-6th grade) teacher in NY and we will be relocating to NC in June 2007. We currently live in a very small area- 5000 residents. We visited Hickory but I did not care for it, I thought it was way too busy--kind of like a small city- I want something more laid back then that--these are my hopes:::Please help!!!
1) Good--as in kids, teachers--smaller schools
2) low crime/drugs/vacrancy
3) NO or low tornado activity

Basically I just want a safe area for my kids. I don't mind driving to another town for groceries ect...my son is in sports- 10th grade --my husband can drive to work too (mechanic).
Please and Thank You!
--not looking to change your life styles- just be comfortable in ours in a new area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Mars Hill is a small, quiet mountain town located in Madison County. Their claim to fame is Mars Hill College, a 150 year old liberal arts Baptist college. Crime in Madison County is well below average for NC. Taxes are also below average. The city of Asheville is only about 20 miles away for serious shopping. Tornado activity is very rare anywhere in the Mountain Region.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-19-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 AM

Thank you for your response! Would you live there? Why or why not? Any other areas around there that are worth looking at? Thanks!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom3 View Post
Thank you for your response! Would you live there? Why or why not? Any other areas around there that are worth looking at? Thanks!
Sure, I'd live in Mars Hill or Madison County. Close enough to Asheville, but not too close. I would want to be close to Asheville for the convenience when needed without the urban baggage. The college town of Brevard in Transylvania County would also be on my short list.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:51 AM

Smile Yes--me too.....

I looked up info on Brevard too! This is my "short" list: Newland,Mars-Hill, Whitsett, Gibsonville and Brevard. Do you know anything about the schools in those areas? Again- Thanks for answering me!

Old 11-23-2006, 08:18 AM

No first hand knowledge concerning public schools, but you can try the web link below. Brevard is in Transylvania and Mars Hill is in Madison County. Both Brevard and Mars Hill are also little college towns also.

http://www.ncreportcard.com/src/ (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 01-19-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 18,109 times
I am from Mars Hill and attended the only high school in the county (Madison High) recently. I would say that it is an above average school. The students ambitions vary, but if a child wants to learn they definitly have the oppurtunity to do so. There are many children that graduate from the high school who don't go onto college but that is because of their personal situations and is not a reflection of the quality of the school. If you have more specific questions please feel free to email me at peelerj@ncssm.edu and I will be glad to help you in any way I can.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom3 View Post
I love living here in the Charlotte area and don't plan on ever leaving. But if I were to go anywhere else, it'd probably be Mars Hill. I love Asheville, but it's expensive. Mars Hill is affordable, is only 20 miles away, and is a nice, little college town. All of that really apppeals to me. It's a beautiful area.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM

35 posts, read 143,945 times
Mars Hill would be a great place to live, should you decide to live in/near Asheville. It is quiet, but very convenient to Asheville. It's also convenient to Johnson City, TN, which is a city of approx. 50K people that is about 45 minutes away. Between the two, favoring towards Asheville, you have everything you need for a comfortable 'southern' lifestyle. Sure, you may have to search a little in Asheville for a good bagel shop, etc. but they ARE available.

I would recommend Mars Hill as a quiet alternative to Asheville any time. Keep in mind, Asheville itself is certainly a small town atmosphere, compared to most cities. But Mars Hill, well, it's like living out in the country, but being only 30 minutes from every urban amenity you could name... What could be better than that?

Also, you mentioned Brevard. Brevard is much more of a touristy town than Mars Hill, and the housing costs are much higher. All in all, though, it is also an excellent choice for a 'small southern mountain town'. Brevard just has a whole lot of 'snowbirds, i.e. Florida people who spend their summers there.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,090 times
I'm looking for a house to rent for my son who will be a junior next year at Mars Hill. He is on an academic and athletic scholarship-- responsible, who like to have a place with two other students. Can anyone help? Thanks, Mars Hill Mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina