Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 AM

487 posts, read 896,320 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'll be graduating with a BA in environment & sustainability from a respected Canadian university. It sounds as though good jobs are hard to come by there. What about for someone looking to go into something related to sustainability (maybe urban planning, or GIS-related work)?

It appears half the population is Republican there won't be as many green initiatives there.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
What about for someone looking to go into something related to sustainability (maybe urban planning, or GIS-related work)?

It appears half the population is Republican there won't be as many green initiatives there.
There is sympathy for green initiatives, but the problem is who will pay for it. The power companies have a mandate to use a percentage of renewable energy sources, but they may be looking for engineering degrees. Some builders are going green, so maybe there are opportunities with commercial/home builders. Do you have technical experience with GIS? Nearly every county in North Carolina has a GIS installed, but I am not sure how they update their data. So you may find some work there.

However, generally, I think you would find more opportunities in the west coast of the USA.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 AM

252 posts, read 473,793 times
Asheville is trying~

Green Opportunities

Blue Ridge Sustainability Institute

Green Asheville | Green businesses in Asheville

Asheville GreenWorks - Home

asheville green living, asheville nc green living, asheville north carolina green living, asheville alternative/renewable energy guide

There aren't many places anywhere where it would be "easy" to find a decent job right now, of any color, without good timing &/or good connections. Though a larger city would offer more opportunities.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I'll be graduating with a BA in environment & sustainability from a respected Canadian university. It sounds as though good jobs are hard to come by there. What about for someone looking to go into something related to sustainability (maybe urban planning, or GIS-related work)?

Anything related to sustainability or green initiatives in Canada? no Republicans there.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Yes but I'm a US citizen

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
"It appears half the population is Republican there won't be as many green initiatives there"

Ahem. Republicans were the original "greens", so to speak. Teddy Roosevelt gave us our national parks, Nixon (whatever his other faults might have been and today's politicians on both sides make him look like a piker when it comes to corruption) gave us the EPA. There are many Republicans who have concerns about the environment.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Maybe they were the original ones, but every time I hear about an environmental policy being shot down a Republican is involved. Like Mitt Romney, ahem. Anyways...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,762 times
Quote:
Maybe they were the original ones, but every time I hear about an environmental policy being shot down a Republican is involved. Like Mitt Romney, ahem. Anyways...
agree. I don't think MLK would be a republican nowadays :/. sorry, no input on the original posting.

wait, maybe I do:

5 Of The Healthiest And Greenest Cities In America - Greener Ideal

I don't think we live in paradise where organic milk and honey comes down the waterfalls, lol, but still a good reputation in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
Quote:
Just a hint while job hunting and in life "Don't burn your bridges".

And to the other poster, most of MLK's kids remain republicans. The girls are anyway. His son, I am not so sure.

Funny that.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
From the link posted by queenofb:

"This beautiful mountain town is home to artists and professionals alike and is a mecca of both physical and spiritual health. Yoga studios, herb shops, vegan restaurants and health food stores are commonplace in Asheville. The air quality is superb, and the people who live in Asheville radiate a sort of stress-free attitude that is addictive. The sunny weather here will have you glowing with health and happiness."

Wow! Even the Chamber of Commerce couldn't put out a better green endorsement!

The blurb mentions air quality. In fact this is why Asheville came on my radar. Back when BP took a dump in the Gulf, some on-line publication (I think it was the Examiner) had a little item that plans were in place to evacuate parts of the Gulf Coast of Florida, in case the air became too toxic from fumes generated by the oil spill. I contacted my Senator's office about it and got a cryptic comment from the staffer that they could only "confirm what I'd read", or some such thing.

Anyway, I started thinking about where would be a good place to go, where the air quality would be decent. And Asheville came to mind, so I started looking into it and got hooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina