Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear people's stories of hiking Mt. Mitchell or nearby trails. We will be taking a 3 day trip to Mt. Mitchell in January, staying in a log cabin with our 2 dogs, and looking to hike some great trails. Any suggestions on water spots e.g. waterfalls, creeks, etc?

Can the Mt. Mitchell Crest trail head, 5.6 miles, be completed in one day?

Any additional advice or must sees? We're outdoor people and want this to be as adventurous as possible.

Any rec's for dinner in town?

Thanks!

Last edited by carolina_guy; 10-23-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I'd love to hear people's stories of hiking Mt. Mitchell or nearby trails. We will be taking a 3 day trip to Mt. Mitchell 1st of the year, staying in a log cabin with our 2 dogs, and looking to hike some great trails. Any suggestions on water spots e.g. waterfalls, creeks, etc?

Can the Mt. Mitchell Crest trail head, 5.6 miles, be completed in one day?

Any additional advice or must sees? We're outdoor people and want this to be as adventurous as possible.

Any rec's for dinner in town?

Thanks!

Dinner in WHAT town? Where exactly is your cabin rental? (any chance you are going here? North Carolina mountain cabin rental near Mt. Mitchell and the Blue Ridge Parkway.)

Sounds like you intend to do the strenuous Mt. Mitchell Trail? It begins at the Black Mountain Campground and ends at the summit of Mt. Mitchell - whew a climb of over 3000 feet in elevation I believe.

During the winter months, call the park office (828-675-4611) to see which roads are open. Mt. Mitchell averages 100+ inches of snow each winter, so don't assume you will be able to get there - maybe have a backup hike in mind.

Here is some info I just found online I had not heard about before:

NOTICE: Portions of the summit area and the tower trail will be closed due to construction until further notice. There will also be trail detours on Old Mitchell Trail, the Mountains-to-Sea Trail and the Balsam Nature Trail.

NOTICE: The Blue Ridge Parkway will be closed to all traffic from just south of Mount Mitchell State Park to Craggy Gardens beginning Nov. 6, 2007 to allow for tunnel repairs. Access to the state park will only be available from the north. The construction period is expected to last three months. For road closures and weather conditions on the Blue Ridge Parkway call (828) 298-0398 or check online.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM

For anyone else interested, directions to the Black Mountain Campground to start the hike Carolina Guy wants to take:

Follow NC 80 to the Mount Mitchell Golf Course. Turn right on the signed road to the Black Mountain Campground.

Begin the hike by crossing the bridge leading into the campground. Bear left at the first intersection; from here you will follow the signs for the Mount Mitchell trail all the way to the top. Follow the gravel road toward the group camp, then turn right when the trail exits the gravel road. The climbing begins immediately.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM

lol....that's exactly where we are staying. For you perps out there, I'll have my tactical shotgun with me so don't get any ideas!

anyways, did you find that off the net or have you stayed there before? Seems like a very nice place for the money and perfect in location for the hiking. Plus, no pet fees!!

Good idea about the roads. But I must say, I hope we get snowed in there as I haven't seen a good snow storm in a while!

Oh yes, about the town. I was talking about Burnsville. I wasn't expecting much, but just wanted to see if there was anything interesting there. I'm sure we will end up cooking both nights.

Thanks for all the info, LM!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
lol....that's exactly where we are staying. For you perps out there, I'll have my tactical shotgun with me so don't get any ideas!

anyways, did you find that off the net or have you stayed there before? Seems like a very nice place for the money and perfect in location for the hiking. Plus, no pet fees!!

Good idea about the roads. But I must say, I hope we get snowed in there as I haven't seen a good snow storm in a while!

Oh yes, about the town. I was talking about Burnsville. I wasn't expecting much, but just wanted to see if there was anything interesting there. I'm sure we will end up cooking both nights.

Thanks for all the info, LM!
Hahahaha, do you want me to edit my post and take that link out??? Didn't mean to give your location away! No, I haven't stayed there, but it is on my list of things to do!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Not sure what you'd find to eat in Burnsville. I do think your best bet for any choices would be in Spruce Pine. We go up that way past Bakersville to reach Carvers Gap and hike the AT on Roan Mt. Seems to me there was a bar-b-que place and a Western Sizzlin we have stopped at in the past.

Have you hiked Carvers Gap? I can highly recommend it!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hahahaha, do you want me to edit my post and take that link out??? Didn't mean to give your location away! No, I haven't stayed there, but it is on my list of things to do!
hehe...nah, don't worry about it since i didn't say exactly what days i would be there. besides, anyone stupid enough to try anything when i'm there, they got a rude awakening with my italian mastiff and lab/newfie, not to mention the firearms i keep with me.

so you've had your eye on that one? i found it today and we're really excited. i'll certainly bring a trip report back.

i just really want to find the water for pics and the dogs.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not sure what you'd find to eat in Burnsville. I do think your best bet for any choices would be in Spruce Pine. We go up that way past Bakersville to reach Carvers Gap and hike the AT on Roan Mt. Seems to me there was a bar-b-que place and a Western Sizzlin we have stopped at in the past.

Have you hiked Carvers Gap? I can highly recommend it!
No, I haven't. How does it compare to Mt. Mitchell Crest? Is it close enough to the cabin?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM

Oh, I see that's in Tennessee. I'll put that on the list.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't. How does it compare to Mt. Mitchell Crest? Is it close enough to the cabin?
Well, what I love about Carvers Gap and hiking the Roans is that they are balds - so you see for miles while you are hiking, instead of having to wait til you get to the top to see a long range view. Mt. Mitchell's trails keep you in the woods as you climb up. The view from the top is of course the highest anywhere, but I like to see more while I am actually hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina