U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM

160 posts, read 287,302 times

Advertisements

Has anybody been on any of their bike paths? I'm coming up for 10 days, leaving next Thursday. I'm contemplating bringing my bike. I see Auger Hole Trail going through the middle of the park and am wondering if this is a paved bike path or if it is more 'off-road'. I glanced over their website and may have missed this info, but I couldn't find anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 AM

172 posts, read 454,899 times

Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 AM

Thank you! Based on that, it's probably not a smart idea to bike that without being fully prepared. I appreciate it!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 PM

I always like to get back to the threads I start asking questions about the area, it's only fair. I left FL May 2, it rained all the way up. I stayed downtown Atlanta overnight so I could get to WNC at a decent time and not have the day be a complete waste. Well, by the time I got to Sapphire where I stayed, it was miserable weather, constant rain. it rained throughout the weekend. Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday were shot, I couldn't leave the area. I came up with the intentions of spending more time in Asheville from the perceptive of a resident and not a tourist (because I am looking to move in the near future). That was whittled down to one day in Asheville and two days in the area hiking and taking pictures.

Gorges Park is really nice, it's obviously in it's infancy. The trail to Rainbow Falls was spectacular! I also hit Dry Falls and Whitewater Falls. I get the impression that Gorges is looking to become a very popular park but it's going to take people actually creating trails to mark to bring in some people. I think there are many waterfalls to be seen yet haven't been marked yet.

Overall, I am terribly disappointed that I couldn't get the time to do what I had planned. That low that came through and dropped rain for four straight days really put a damper on my plans. They said at the Gorges visitor center the immediate area (Sapphire/Cashiers) had 10.5" of rain on Saturday and Sunday. My last trip was marred with last summers massive heat wave. It seems as though I happen to come up during all the extremes. It's all good, I have been to WNC enough times to know my last two trips have been outliers. I did answer some of my own questions about the city of Asheville during my one day trip there, I would have liked more than one day to check out the surrounding neighborhoods. All in all, no matter how bad it might seem, it was still a week away from South Florida which is never a bad thing!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,208,635 times
Well, if you still love WNC after two bad weather experiences and still want to move here, theres that. Good luck.

For what its worth I think Gorges is going to be an amazing park. They have put so much work into it and its a beautiful area.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM

11,115 posts, read 18,187,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
I always like to get back to the threads I start asking questions about the area, it's only fair. I left FL May 2, it rained all the way up. I stayed downtown Atlanta overnight so I could get to WNC at a decent time and not have the day be a complete waste. Well, by the time I got to Sapphire where I stayed, it was miserable weather, constant rain. it rained throughout the weekend. Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday were shot, I couldn't leave the area. I came up with the intentions of spending more time in Asheville from the perceptive of a resident and not a tourist (because I am looking to move in the near future). That was whittled down to one day in Asheville and two days in the area hiking and taking pictures.

Gorges Park is really nice, it's obviously in it's infancy. The trail to Rainbow Falls was spectacular! I also hit Dry Falls and Whitewater Falls. I get the impression that Gorges is looking to become a very popular park but it's going to take people actually creating trails to mark to bring in some people. I think there are many waterfalls to be seen yet haven't been marked yet.

Overall, I am terribly disappointed that I couldn't get the time to do what I had planned. That low that came through and dropped rain for four straight days really put a damper on my plans. They said at the Gorges visitor center the immediate area (Sapphire/Cashiers) had 10.5" of rain on Saturday and Sunday. My last trip was marred with last summers massive heat wave. It seems as though I happen to come up during all the extremes. It's all good, I have been to WNC enough times to know my last two trips have been outliers. I did answer some of my own questions about the city of Asheville during my one day trip there, I would have liked more than one day to check out the surrounding neighborhoods. All in all, no matter how bad it might seem, it was still a week away from South Florida which is never a bad thing!

Agree ^^ Sorry that you ran into that bad weather; congrats for making the best of it though! I can only recall maybe 3 rains like that in the past several years. And it has been a much colder spring than normal. So much for global warming 'eh ! Some areas in the higher elevations actually had a frost last night, and many of the garden shops here in the Hendersonville area did not have any hanging plants out ... everything safely in their greenhouses. The rule of thumb I was told on planting in the ground is to wait until after Mother's Day because end of April can be quite unpredictable.

Tomorrow: mid to high 70's, clear, sunny and fresh dry air.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Well, if you still love WNC after two bad weather experiences and still want to move here, theres that. Good luck.

For what its worth I think Gorges is going to be an amazing park. They have put so much work into it and its a beautiful area.
It really is a nice park. I think there will be plenty more trails in the near future. That park is just way too big to have the few trails they have now. I always wondered how parks got their trails, they're probably just letting hikers create their own and go from there.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Agree ^^ Sorry that you ran into that bad weather; congrats for making the best of it though! I can only recall maybe 3 rains like that in the past several years. And it has been a much colder spring than normal. So much for global warming 'eh ! Some areas in the higher elevations actually had a frost last night, and many of the garden shops here in the Hendersonville area did not have any hanging plants out ... everything safely in their greenhouses. The rule of thumb I was told on planting in the ground is to wait until after Mother's Day because end of April can be quite unpredictable.

Tomorrow: mid to high 70's, clear, sunny and fresh dry air.
I was also told by many locals that the weather that week was not very common. It wasn't so bad, it was like a nice autumn week and I missed autumn last year. It did make for some really incredible waterfalls! Particularly Rainbow Falls @ Gorges and Dry Falls in Highlands. Hopefully my next trip will be permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina