Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 PM

168 posts, read 692,437 times

Advertisements

Saw this on another forum and wondered if anyone was interested in taking part...

Since we (and others here) are so new to WNC, I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in taking part in a thread where if we try a restaurant, we could come back here and give our thoughts about it.

Friday night, hubby got off early from work, so we went out to dinner and then took the kiddo's bowling (Tarheel Lanes - Very clean, NO smoking...earns 2 thumbs up for our family...we WILL be back!). We drove around downtown wondering where to eat. With such nice weather, we had our car windows down and something smelled heavenly coming from Hannah Flanagan's in downtown H-ville...so we decided eat there. It was about 6:30 on a Friday night, so we were expecting quite a wait. The host told us 20 minutes, but it was actually closer to a 10 minute wait before we were seated. In short, our server was great and our food came fast! You couldn't beat the prices either! We will be back to Hannah's!

Last edited by a2zmom; 11-04-2007 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:08 PM

17 posts, read 58,487 times
Friday night, after a busy day of moving and unpacking, I was really hungry. It was getting close to 10 p.m... I wanted someplace close but it had to be real food.

Pomodoros (Greek and Italian) restaurant on the East side of Asheville on Tunnel Rd. I walked in, 20 minutes before closing, no problem. The waiter took my order for a glass of wine and minutes later he brought the wine and a basket with a half loaf of hot homemade bread in it. This was served with olive oil with herbs for dipping. I then ordered Penne pasta, cheese, procciuto ham and grilled chicken in tomato vodka sauce. I got a caesar salad for $2.98 extra. The food was excellent. I ate everything. Fine dining with a glass of valpolacella wine for less than $25. I recommend it.

A2Zmom, there is a Hannah Flanagan's in downtown Asheville too. I didn't eat there, so I can't say. It is a cool place to have a few drinks when out and about in downtown Asheville.

Last edited by A.FreeRadical; 11-04-2007 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: added comments on Hannah's in Asheville.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,165 times
I have two suggestions for eating...
A.M. Flat Rock Bakery located behind Wrinkled Egg in Flat Rock. The BEST danish, bagel, muffin, coffee, etc in Hendersonville. All homemade organic ingredients and baked in stone oven. (Rasberry Almond danish is a must try) and
P.M. is West First Pizza which is located on 1st Ave, west side (next to old courthouse) Organic stone fired pizzas and pasta (same people that own FR Bakery) has bar with great assortments of beers but is also very child friendly. Does not serve cokes...instead has organic "fake" soda, root beer, ginger ale...great new addition to Hendersonville.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM

92 posts, read 480,581 times
Hannah Flannagan's in H-ville was very good the day we stopped in for lunch. They had a big crowd but service was excellent, food arrived in a timely manner and was very tasty. Definitely recommend it based on our one visit.

In contrast, we also ate lunch one day at the Double Olive in downtown H-ville. I can't begin to tell you what a terrible experience that was. The summary is that the staff was clueless, there was hardly anyone there and the wait was close to 1/2 hour, the food was horrible when it finally arrived, and the prices outrageous. My wife's roast beef sandwich smelled and tasted like crab/shrimp!!! Turns out another table had ordered a crab/shrimp dish.....we can only assume they were heated in the same microwave at the same time and the bread absorbed the steam from the seafood. We'll never go back!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up...we were thinking about trying Double Olive too...but if that's the case. Yikes!

We haven't tried it, but I've also heard that The Pampered Palate on 6th is very good too. Hubby's boss recommended it to us the day we came to town.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 AM

70 posts, read 219,780 times
Love Pomodoros...try their GREEK food also. The hummus is good and the Greek Salad. The Greek Soup needs more flavor though.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,906,476 times
A little off topic but anyway...

How far would most of y'all travel to go to a good restaurant?

The reason I ask is I am a Chef and we plan to relocate to WNC, Rutherfordton to be exact and open a small restaurant.

I would lean towards a traditional chophouse,heavy on meats but also of course having some fish and other items.

I have worked fine dining for most of my career and would like to bring aspects of that(good service,knowledgeable staff and superior food) but not all the 'exclusivity'.

I believe prices could be kept low due to the leasing of a building not being as high as other more built up areas and we wouldn't have to pay a Chef.

Might even go towards family style side dishes but all that is open to what would work in the area.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Well, I know I can't speak for everyone here, Oz, but I am always up for a nice restaurant where my kids (ages 8 and 4) will be accepted. Now, keep in mind, my children know how to behave in a restaurant...they're not the unruly, run-around-the-table-while-screaming-at-the-top-of-their-lungs, type! The difference between a decent tip and a GREAT tip for our servers is how they treat my children. If you ignore my children, or act like they are a bother, you'll get your standard tip...but, if you take the time to speak to my children and act interested in their order (they order themselves), you're going to get a GREAT tip from us!

Hubby and I are always up for seafood, but love a great steak and in my opinion, a great house salad is a must! When my in-laws come for a visit, we are more than willing to drive 30-45 minutes if the restaurant is one that we love!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM

70 posts, read 219,780 times
We have always been okay with driving a half hour easily for a great dinner restaurant. It appears you will be a good hour away from the Asheville area. Might want to consider a great tempting lunch or brunch menu. On a beautiful day and hours drive to get something fantastic would be no problem. Going out to dinner at night and sitting hours at dinner and then an hour drive home might be a consideration for many people in the Asheville area that could be good customers for you.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,906,476 times
That is one of my worries,how far will people be willing to travel.

Now people that live in the area seem more than willing to go out to eat judging by the times we have been up there but you neve rknow with a new place and being 'outsiders'.

I worked at a place down here that smoked our own ribs,chickens and NY striploins but I don't think doing smoked food by 'furriners' will sit well...

Have any of you gone to the restaurant at the Lake Lure Inn?
It was kind of fun,we stayed at the hotel and had dinner at the restaurant,white tablecloth,waitstaff in tuxedo shirts,quite fancy schmancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina