U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM

600 posts, read 1,261,158 times

Advertisements

Hello-
Our family rents a cabin for a few days in western NC every October. We love the high country and prefer to be away from too much of the crowded "touristy" places, but close enough in to get groceries as we need them. Hikes with our children, historic sites, and exploring is what we enjoy.
We have spent a lot of time around Grandfather Mtn., Boone, Blowing Rock, Valle Crucis, West Jefferson, and Banner Elk. This year we want to do something different and I have my sights set on Bakersville. We haven't been to Roan Mountain yet, and Bakersville looks like a great spot. Do the leaves peak there about the same time as they do around Blowing Rock? Our Travel dates are Oct. 16 - 21. I know part of the Blue Ridge Parkway may still be closed between Asheville and near Mount Michell.
We live in Upstate SC (but are originally from eastern NC).
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 PM

118 posts, read 210,038 times
Peak color on Roan Mountain is usually around Oct 10 - 20, but it depends on the weather. Two years ago we had snow on Oct 31st. I feel you picked a good week. I'm not sure what side of town you are staying, but there's a Super Walmart and an Ingles in Spruce Pine, an Ingles in Burnsville, or in the Unicoi - Erwin area there is a Super Walmart and a Food Lion. 226 North of Bakersville is closed due to a bridge being out. There are two options for detours. Harrell Hill Road and 261 to Fork Mountain Road, both are marked. Hope you have a nice visit!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 PM

61 posts, read 94,201 times
Which bridge is washed out north of Bakersville? I am not aware of any currently, and I am not sure about the detour you mention because Harrell Hill Road is south of where Fork Mountain comes out on 226 if you go up 261, which is not how you go to Roan Mtn. From Bakersville, all you have to do is go straight up on 261 and you will hit Roan Mtn/Carvers Gap, the TN Roan Mtn state park area is pretty nice, but Oct is pretty late in the year and I am not sure what all they may have going on during that time.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM

I was referring to the bridge on 226 North at Red Hill. I mentioned this became there are many rental cottages in that area (our area) in case the OP chooses one of them.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM

600 posts, read 1,261,158 times
Thanks, y'all!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM

61 posts, read 94,201 times
Ohh okay, yeah. That detour is not too bad.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM

No, not bad, but believe me, it gets old when you have to take it a couple times a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina