Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM

15 posts, read 24,620 times

Advertisements

Haven't really seen any weather predictions for winter yet. What do you think it will be like? The bears are out, lol, but the wooly worms must be hiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:07 PM

177 posts, read 408,971 times
I think it'll be like cool, man.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM

474 posts, read 840,623 times
I've seen a lot of wooly worms in the past week. Mostly brown, so mild winter maybe. I think I read that they claim they get it right 84% of the time at the Banner Elk Wooly Worm Festival, but that they got it wrong last year.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:33 PM

Gee, like ya think, Kirbymom? Lol

Bil - do you follow Ray? I think the last time he was right was 2009. As long as I've lived here, I havent made it to a Wooly Worm festival.But the squirrels have been crazy by my house too, but no worms. I did hear someone talking about the amount of foggy mornings in August will equal the amount of snowstorms we'll have, but never got a final tally.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_sprite View Post
Gee, like ya think, Kirbymom? Lol

Bil - do you follow Ray? I think the last time he was right was 2009. As long as I've lived here, I havent made it to a Wooly Worm festival.But the squirrels have been crazy by my house too, but no worms. I did hear someone talking about the amount of foggy mornings in August will equal the amount of snowstorms we'll have, but never got a final tally.
Well, didn't pay much attention to the fog on August mornings ... it was raining a bit. Lots of nice morning mist all this month though. Love those smoky drifts of fog raising up out of the folds of the ridgelines. Very pretty.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM

252 posts, read 474,112 times
Funny, a local just told me today that there have been many white woolly worm sightings, which means it will be a cold winter. With ice more than snow. I hope that's really, really wrong.

I like KirbyMom's its like gonna be Cool, Man forecast much better!!

So then I checked Farmer's Almanac online (who knew it still existed?!) and they say the same thing...

Still going to take KM's forecast. I know we had a mild weird non-winter last year, but I rather enjoyed it. It was, like, really cool man.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Morning fogs & mists...very typical this time of year, in our 12 years here.
Add in the still saturated ground in many areas, water vapor condensing and rising = fog.

Typical 'lake of fog' we get looking down onto Waynesville and the W'ville valley, and across to Mt Pisgah, Cold Mtn and Wolfpen Mtn. Standard fare this time of year...shot a couple days ago just after sunrise.

As for 'winter', if one or anyone or, any 'service' could really predict it, other than generalities, it would be remarkable, imo. Especially with the great variation of altitude, micro climes, and Big Mother Nature.
GL, mD

Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Where did you have a non-winter? Sure was all winter near boone / banner elk.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Area surrounding Asheville was pretty mild as far as cold and snow type weather. We had mostly rain, rain and more rain.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM

252 posts, read 474,112 times
tsmw is spot on. And we had so little snow in Asheville, there was a long write up about it in the Washington Post earlier this year. Its got lots of graphs and trends, but long story short was Hey, someplace has a worse snow drought than DC, and its Asheville NC!

Asheville, N.C.: Suffering worse snow drought than Washington, D.C. - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina