Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,524 times

Advertisements

LOLOL...this thread has me cracking up at this point...it'd make a great comedy routine kinda like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first"...lol

Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Are local yokels nice to newcombers?-mountaineer-inn.jpg

This is the first place my DH and I stayed when we first came to Asheville. Looks like the city doesn't take itself too seriously.
Click on the pic to make it bigger.

Last edited by gypsychic; 12-04-2007 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Now what a uproar I have seem to have caused. If one of you were thinking about moving to CA I would have no problem what so ever with the term "local yokels" it was meant totally innocent and to be funny hoping to get some responses. We jokingly say the term "local yokels" all the time for any people living in a particular area. As usual, a lot of people love to blow something out of preportion.

What is with the accusatory attitudes?

I hear you. I assumed you were just using a phrase and meant no harm. But I think by the tone of the replies to your innocent question, they may have answered it for you. I personally can think of a lot worse things to be refered to than a "yokel."

My experience has been that people are people, some nice, some welcoming, some not so much. Some do resent what they interpret as the onslaught of "outsiders." Some are threatened. But the truth is, in WNC there are so many people moving there that you are likely to find your neighbors on either side (if you have any) are not from NC anyway.

Eventually the people that resent newcomers will either adjust, or leave, or maybe just remain miserable.

But I hope you don't take this one thread's aggressive responses as anymore than what it is. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM

94 posts, read 227,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
K.DUNN - Personally, I never thought you were really trying to be condescending, I just thought you were trying to be "funny" with the little rhyming "local yokels" bit. Unfortunately, there are some here who are ultra sensitive when they think they are being put down, especially by anyone from Fla., Cali., or NY. That said, I think it was nice of you to come back to the thread and apologize and explain you meant no harm to anyone. I wouldn't let a few comments on a message board deter you from coming to the area, for some reason there seem to be more angry people with chips on their shoulder in this particular forum and I am guessing it has a lot to do with how much the cost of living has gone up the past few years due to all the migration to the area.

Believe me, you will LOVE the area if you come here, my neighbor across the street is from Northern Cal., and he is the sweetest person ever - he and his wife just love it. My whole neighborhood is made up of natives, long term transplants and new transplants from all over and they ALL have nothing but superlatives to say about the the whole town and everyone in it. Now, I have never been to Kentucky, but coming from CA I really think you will appreciate it here around Asheville much more. I still recommend the areas I mentioned to you in my other posts, I think you can find what you want and will find it to your liking.

Good luck!
I have to say too that I don't think K. Dunn meant anything bad here. And the apology and explanation makes sense to me. Same as gypsychic says. I think the term can mean any locals anywhere, without any bad connotation, and that it persists because of the silly rhyming and is meant to be light hearted. Just my two cents.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Thumbs up O.K. One more comment to follow-up on this from me..

Well it was really nice to hear the follow-up nice remarks. Sorry that some of you had to attempt to explain others rudeness, but I sincerely appreciate it, and it does help me "not" write-of NC yet. Thank you again! It is pretty silly in my opinion, but like I said, it was a un-intentional zone boo boo I suppose. Really, we even use the term "loco yokel" here in So. Cal with I guess has some referrence to the spanish locals with the term "Loco", but it also is meant only in jest, with no actual bad intentional comment, just like my using "local yokel" on this thread. Won't happen again obviously, but worries me that the "locals" are so sensitive.

I guess "US" Californians moving over there are sometimes not wanted by some, sorry to hear that, I hear similar negatives from Oregon natives for usually the same reason. Someone comes over with equity, and see's a price point that to them seems very reasonable and is happy to pay it. While the locals see that its causing the home prices to rapidly increase, making it harder for them to afford buying there first home or moving up to a larger home. Well guess what? Get use to it! It's happening all over the country. We too have suffered, that is why we are forced to look out of state for better values, because we also cannot afford to step up to a larger home in our own area. There are people over here paying upwords of $600,000 for condo's!! That is just too crazy to me, especially when there are so much more beautiful areas to live in like your beautiful Asheville area.

Enough now has been said on this thread, glad this amused you andybuildz, I hope I can take you up on that beer someday! Thanks as always also to gypsychic [funny picture by the way], and to the rest of the nice NC people, now "go away", your catch name say's it all doesn't it? My answer to you.

Nuff said. Ciao

Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
I was taught that it was ok to call yourself a hillbilly or yokel, but never call anyone else one. That would be disrespectful. Several years ago, a lady from Florida, who had been drinking [seems alot of them do], ran a stop sign and plowed her Cadillac into my car. Only I wasn't driving, my dad was. He died. That set into running a series of events which led to us moving away from the mountains. Now, I have several friends that are from Florida and Long Island and places up north. Good friends. Best Friends. I don't resent people moving to the mountains. Just be respectful of the people and mountains. I had the best time living there that anyone could ever wish for. I couldn't go back though. I haven't been to Asheville in ten years. My friends tell me it's changed. Some of them are going to move. Reading some of these threads is like reading news from a parallel universe. I moved to Tennessee and there is a gated community here of "newcomers" and they tried to get Wal-Mart to put in a check out asile just for them, so they wouldn't have to associate with the natives. Sometimes, it's just hard not to resent stuff like that.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
I guess "US" Californians moving over there are sometimes not wanted by some, sorry to hear that, I hear similar negatives from Oregon natives for usually the same reason. Someone comes over with equity, and see's a price point that to them seems very reasonable and is happy to pay it. While the locals see that its causing the home prices to rapidly increase, making it harder for them to afford buying there first home or moving up to a larger home.>>>>>>>>>>

I have never had that happen to me and we lived in CA for 25 years.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 PM

50 posts, read 239,068 times
Lawdy, lawdy chillens', looks like some feathers done got ruffled. When I first moved to NC, I was called Yankee all the time, however, I didn't take it too seriously, especially after I pointed out to them I was originally from Maryland, the southern part, if you know what I mean. Anyway, labeling people is truly not appropriate and it will not be tolerated in the South, we welcome all, what's that song, oh yeah, "C'mon baby drive South, with the one youoooo love". Do come for a visit, we are well behaved, and mind our manners, cause that's the way we were taught.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Hey! I'm not offended so much by someone that knows nothing about my part of the world calling me a "local yokel" as I am bemused by their complete cluelessness about why they are not welcomed with open arms, and they get their nose out of joint when I they receive an honest response, when they do.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM

94 posts, read 227,290 times
Sometimes clueless is not the same as just not knowing something. Of course different parts of the country may not know everything about other parts. If you want to explain and educate about something it's best to do it in a polite and helpful manner. Especially when the person meant no offense. Just my 2 cents again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina