Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 PM

51 posts, read 190,467 times

Advertisements

This is Asheville Association of Realtor's listings: Real Estate Weekly - The only full color weekly publication in WNC
Click on "Search for Homes" and then enter in the variables.

You can get to this webpage by going to Asheville Board of Realtors website Asheville Board of REALTORS Home Page and then clicking on "Public" and then clicking on "Real Estate Weekly", which will get you to the listings page.

Hope this helps,
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 PM

25 posts, read 101,931 times
Thank you so much, it did help. I am indeed seling my SF condo, it is ridiculously expensive in every way (eben though ma rentimg it out for $3400/month, am still paying $2000 monthly after it). And yes, I am renting out the Boone house as well, but again with no ability to cover mortgage, which is a problem since I am a single mother with an 8 months old. I am definitely selling the condo, and might be selling the house, depending whether I can pay the remining mortgage or not... I just wanted to know whether I could even sell it at all, should I decide to do so? It was bought for $490.000 a year ago, 4 bedroom/3 bathroom, built in 2000, in Blowing Rock but not right at the best spots, although with beautiful view... I just don't know.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,594,427 times
If you can hold on for at least 18 months, the market in this area should rebound. I hate to be a pessimist but you will have an awfully difficult time now trying to sell w/o taking a hit on your original purchase. Homes are being discounted BIG $$$$ and are still not getting any traffic. I know of one house in Blowing Rock which is sitting on the market at close to 50% off what the asking price was just last spring. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,993,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
If you can hold on for at least 18 months, the market in this area should rebound. I hate to be a pessimist but you will have an awfully difficult time now trying to sell w/o taking a hit on your original purchase. Homes are being discounted BIG $$$$ and are still not getting any traffic. I know of one house in Blowing Rock which is sitting on the market at close to 50% off what the asking price was just last spring. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule.
Pessimist, nah, I'm the Pessimist, If you ask me property values will be falling for a LONG time, not rebounding in 18 months. Heck if you listen to Goldman sachs, CEO's of many of the national builders and even many of the Fed governors, the housing won't bottom out until 2009-10. With the majority of the option arm's etc not resetting until 2008-10 this national housing slump is only getting started.

Good luck with your decision, but if you are negative cash flow on 2 houses, it's time to unload these particular "investments". I sold all 12 of my homes late 2006 and early 2007 with these resets in mind.

Tony

Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 68,150 times
Default Good Morning Perzona re: Boone NC home

Hi There
Boone as has been mentioned IS a great place to raise children. I raised two girls here myself. Lots of good neighbors, Appalachian State is a great college should your daughter wish to stay close to home in the future and they provide lots of cultural events normally not found in such a small town. Under 40,000 in the county population.
We've been here a long time. Me for 40 years and hubby all his life. We do know a bit about the market and it is tight right now.
Rental income can be a wonderful source of income, albeit NOT without problems. You just need to be careful. You may wish to check the Chamber of Commerce site for starters. They are really helpful folks.
http://www.boonechamber.com/directory/?category=334 (broken link)
If your home is in an area that will rent well then this may be a viable option for you.
I would consult with one of the rental companies in Boone to see what they think they could rent your home out for. I would however be careful, as renting is a tricky business.
However, all that being said, this community is huge in the secondary home market and that area of business is holding pretty steady. It's ALL ABOUT LOCATION. If your home here is one which could be used for secondary home, then you might be okay to sell now.
If you do decide to do that though, you should place a "let it go" bottom line price in your head and stick with that. Emotion does not belong in the home sales market. Again, it all depends upon location. Some areas sell well for secondary homes in any market and some have been on the market for a year. You could actually rent, and with proper notice to your renters according to NC rental Act, list the home for sale with options. Meaning basically that you will give any renters the required notice for a move out date.
It does make selling a bit tricky, but is another option to explore.
Hope this helps and does not further confuse you.
It sowed yesterday and there is a snow day with schools closed so that is a small consideration for you if you consider a move as well. But our winters are FAR less snowy than in years past.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday season.
Irish

Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 18,171 times
Default Keep it if you can!

I know this is a tough time to be holding onto a couple homes, but my advice would be that if you possibly can, try to hold on to it. I have been watching the real estate in this area for many years, and regardless of the market, it just keeps going up. Even though sales are slow now, prices go up faster here in the mountains than in many other places. Just look around the Boone area, the new buildings you see the most of, besides homes, are real estate companies and banks! So things are holding steady. If you can look at the long term picture, I would try to hold onto it and then resell in the future. Homes near and around Blowing Rock always get good money, more so than some of the other nearby areas. Blowing Rock is generally considered to be pricier, due to the influx of Floridians (mostly retirees and former New Yorkers) that come up in the summer, and have ample disposable income. I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina