Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:42 AM

485 posts, read 561,179 times

Advertisements

We're kind of looking via the internet for homes and found an interesting one near Brevard. Ends up that it is already under contract so we can't do much about it now, but... What if we found a house we liked? We are in AZ and can't afford to fly back to look things over. And RE Agents will usually tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. But what if people who live there already would look over a house and give an honest opinion here? Or by email or DM? Just a passing thought... I know some say to rent first and that probably is smartest. On the other hand, if we find a house and location from here that sounds really great and some of you say "go for it," we could fly back and check it our ourselves. Anyone game for such a thing? signed, wondering 'bout wandering to wonderful NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
That's a lot of pressure on someone to be your "eyes" on your home search. What if they encourage you on a house, then you move in and it's not what you wanted? What if the house is really prefect for you but your "eyes" aren't impressed? Can you find someone whose tastes mesh well enough with yours?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
That's a lot of pressure on someone to be your "eyes" on your home search. What if they encourage you on a house, then you move in and it's not what you wanted? What if the house is really prefect for you but your "eyes" aren't impressed? Can you find someone whose tastes mesh well enough with yours?
Gotta agree with this 100%. We don't even know one another personally, and I don't know if even close friends could advise you on this. Also, pictures and info on the internet can be unbelievably deceptive - what looks perfect in the pix can be horrible looking in real life, or in a bad area, etc. What we did is a LOT of internet research, and made several trips in person. We got to know the areas we liked, so when we got down to brass tacks, we bought a house in the AREA we liked at the price we could afford. The house had been passed over as it needed serious updating, but we got it at a good price and did the work. I would recommend you try to visit a lot and get a good feel for the area you would like to be and go from there. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
Hi Father John! I too spent alot of time house hunting online. My advice is when you see a house that looks interesting ask the Realtor to send lots of pics....INCLUDING 1 taken from the front door looking out. Ya know what????? On 2nd thought....had I not flown up to see a house I liked online and didn't like in person...I wouldn't have found my DREAM HOUSE! Timing is everything. For me 1 trip and KNOWING in my heart this is where I belonged was the right move for me! Yesterday I took a 3 hour drive thru towns I had never been to but they were familiar to me from RE ads....funny...I was SOOO happy to get HOME. I know you can't make a trip everytime something interests you but when the right house comes along I have a feeling you will find each other!!!! Annie

Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 PM

485 posts, read 561,179 times
I guess my thoughts were things like:

"No, this is next to the railroad tracks and the trains are loud and shake the house."

Or, "the road in is gravel and poorly maintained."

or "Did they tell you there is a gravel pit 2 miles down the road and trucks go by all hours of the day?"

or "Next door to a farm, if you don't mind the smell."

And stuff like that. NOT, "I love the floor plan" or color, or things like that.

Imagine all the great pictures a realtor could send and then we fly back only to find it is in between 2 sod farms...

Anyway, I was just dreaming out lud. Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
Those are thoughts that someone here could help you with: eliminating homes under consideration due to knowledge of the area. If you could find three homes in which someone could say, "they all look pretty good, no obvious turn-offs," then you'd waste less time on your trip here to scout them out for yourself...

Old 12-07-2007, 03:58 PM

47 posts, read 210,419 times
FATHER JOHN,

I recently spent two weeks in NC around the Hickory area. I did my research and I printed out about 60 listings off of the MLS (realtor.com) and divided them up in various categories based off of description, location, and photos. I then narrowed it down to 12 "can't miss, must see houses." I thought for sure I had a winner in the bunch. NONE of them were acceptable. I was so dissapointed. On the 6th day and working on the last of the homes that struck me as "last chance", I found the winner in the bunch. Almost didn't even go see it based off of having only one picture and the description was unflattering.

Anyway.... I would be willing to ride by anything in particular for you if its within an hour of the Hickory area. I won't be over there permanently til late next week.... but I'd be willing to give you some feedback on a house or two..

Jeff

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,918 times
You might consider finding a local property manager that works in the area and pay them a fee to look things over for you...send you tons of photos and reports. Thats sort of what property managers do . Not necessarily the same scenario you have but I don't see why they couldn't step out of the box a bit from the normal routine. They'd still earn a fee. They're proffessionals and have no vested interest other than yours.
Just a thought. Couldn't hurt to ask a few in the area. See whatthey would charge and their ideas on how to work it.
Good luck
andy

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Photo's, while they are pictures cannot give you a true picture. There is a high end $875K (just lowered from $900K) speculation house down the street for sale, for 18 - 20 months now. The pictures on the web site look nice, and even the exterior views don't show that the lot is stupid steep and tiny, the driveway is so steep that front wheel drive cars have trouble going up it without spinning their tires, (if it was raining, not sure the average Honda or similar car could even make it up at all going forward) and that the house consumes almost all of the very steep lot.

But on the website it looks great and none of this shows.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
We're kind of looking via the internet for homes and found an interesting one near Brevard. Ends up that it is already under contract so we can't do much about it now, but... What if we found a house we liked? We are in AZ and can't afford to fly back to look things over. And RE Agents will usually tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. But what if people who live there already would look over a house and give an honest opinion here? Or by email or DM? Just a passing thought... I know some say to rent first and that probably is smartest. On the other hand, if we find a house and location from here that sounds really great and some of you say "go for it," we could fly back and check it our ourselves. Anyone game for such a thing? signed, wondering 'bout wandering to wonderful NC
Father John don't disregard an agent. Our agent was a love and every day she would send us new listings and if we liked something and she didn't think it was a fit for us she would say so.Granted we live only 600 miles away and made the trip several times but in the end we found the house.Even though we closed on it we are not going to move there until Feb but our realtor is still doing things for us and we are still going up there getting the home ready for the big day. A good realtor is worth it in so many ways as is a good neighbor who lives right across the street from us and is looking after the house and making sure we do not get any mail. We hear from them every few days. We will be up there again next thursday-Sunday. Most Realtors can be trusted and will even preview the home you might like and take pictures of every nook . I would PM her name but she does the lenoir area and nearby surroundings areas only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina