Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM

56 posts, read 243,414 times

Advertisements

I'm from LI- we barely have anything like a planned community here. We definitely wouldn't want to live in a "development" but it looked like there are some beautiful gated communities where the lots (homesites?) are a few acres or more like the Laurel Preserve (10 acres). Are there advantages & disadvantages to buying in an existing or new gated community VS buying an existing resale? When Andy & I go down to look can we see everything with one broker or do we have to search these communities by ourselves? Sorry for all the questions- but is there a way to find out what the comps are and how long something took to sell? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 05:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,423,668 times
Nothing says I'm scared of you and I don't want to be neighborly like a gated community. How can anyone not see those hiding behind their gates as arrogant elitists, who have no intention of becoming part of the community they moved to?

Even the City of Asheville has banned any further gated communities, which is really surprising considering their normal embracing of all development

Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM

652 posts, read 2,258,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nothing says I'm scared of you and I don't want to be neighborly like a gated community. How can anyone not see those hiding behind their gates as arrogant elitists, who have no intention of becoming part of the community they moved to?

Even the City of Asheville has banned any further gated communities, which is really surprising considering their normal embracing of all development
To me there's nothing more "arrogant" than calling hundred and probably thousands of people you don't know arrogant. So you're saying you've met all these "families" and they're all elitists and arrogant? Thats pretty shallow if you ask me dude.
To me...its different strokes for different folks. I'm personally not interested in the least in living in a gated community but I certainly can understand if someone wants to_why they do. These communities have their own recreation facilities, the lawns are cut and manicured for them etc etc. Thats not for me but to make blanket statements like you do calling people names to me is truly a sign of ignorance.
Everyone should be just like you Asheville Native and THENNNNNNNN we'd have such a better world to live in. You going to tell me what religion to practice next?

Last edited by andybuildz; 12-08-2007 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: cause I always wanted to be an editor

Old 12-08-2007, 05:37 PM

485 posts, read 555,157 times
Three reasons why I would not live in a gated community:

1) Homeowners Associations (HOAs) are obnoxious at best and intrusive to the point of criminality at the worst. I would not want other people with an agenda or a personality clash telling me what I can and cannot do with my house.

2) The locked gate makes visits of friends and relatives a bit more challenging - not horrible, just one more inconvenience that I do not wish to impose on anyone. I like visitors!

3) There is a cost associated with gated communities that really gives you virtually nothing for several hundred (or even a few thousand in some cases) dollars per year. On a fixed income, every dollar counts a lot! besides, they can raise the fee any time and you are stuck with it.

That's just me - some people like the community center, community pool, "safety" of a locked gate, etc. Not me.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
You going to tell me what religion to practice next?
No, nor do I care, nor will I tell you what you should eat, though recently got up on your soap box and told everyone else the evils of dairy and we should all stop consuming it. That is not your choice as far as my choices are concerned. Be careful of what you accuse people of dude.

And I stand by my statement about arrogance behind the locked gates, with the clear message they are the elite, and they do not want us lesser beings coming into their neighborhoods (if a cloister of people hiding behind gates can be considered a neighborhood)

How about if I told you I would drive through your neighborhood any time I choose to, but you are not allowed to drive through my neighborhood. A bit elitist or arrogant don't ya think?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
Three reasons why I would not live in a gated community:

1) Homeowners Associations (HOAs) are obnoxious at best and intrusive to the point of criminality at the worst. I would not want other people with an agenda or a personality clash telling me what I can and cannot do with my house.

2) The locked gate makes visits of friends and relatives a bit more challenging - not horrible, just one more inconvenience that I do not wish to impose on anyone. I like visitors!

3) There is a cost associated with gated communities that really gives you virtually nothing for several hundred (or even a few thousand in some cases) dollars per year. On a fixed income, every dollar counts a lot! besides, they can raise the fee any time and you are stuck with it.

That's just me - some people like the community center, community pool, "safety" of a locked gate, etc. Not me.

Father John....I like how you think
Its refreshing to hear someone speak as eloquently as you_with conscious thought in what you say. I'm tired of hearing people put down others that they don't necessarly see eye to eye with.

I too would never want to live in a gated community but I could see why some people would. It's sort of like moving from a private home to a condo. Most of the work gets done for you to different degrees. There's on site recreation and the feeling of a certain amount of security FWTW.

I've read where some feel as though it's an elitist thing to do but from what I can tell there are GC's for less than $300,000. thats far from elite.
Also...I'd venture to say that just because people live in these GC's that doesn't mean they don't go beyond the gates to be a part of surrounding Asheville. And if they don't...so be it. Thats fine. Different strokes for different folks.
There's also no promise that if you live outside of a GC that you may not end up next door to an elitist...you never know who's moving in next door

To me...the point to life is to live it the best you can within side yourself. If you find peace there, than you will radiate that onto others....whether you live inside a gated community or in the heart of the inner city.
Live and let live/different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM

485 posts, read 555,157 times
You are right, andybuildz. One thing I should have added, though: never say NEVER.

When I get old enough (next year? ) I may have to move into assisted living like I just put my father into. Talk about restrictions! Meals at a certain time - don't be late or you don't eat! Pills all handled by the nurses - you cannot have meds (not even aspirin) or food in your room - ever. Visitors have to be checked in.

When I am in my 80s as dad is now, I may have to eat the words of today.

Nothing is forever.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
You are right, andybuildz. One thing I should have added, though: never say NEVER.

When I get old enough (next year? ) I may have to move into assisted living like I just put my father into. Talk about restrictions! Meals at a certain time - don't be late or you don't eat! Pills all handled by the nurses - you cannot have meds (not even aspirin) or food in your room - ever. Visitors have to be checked in.

When I am in my 80s as dad is now, I may have to eat the words of today.

Nothing is forever.
I also had to move my dad into assisted living a number of years ago. He had a 1 bedroom apartment, with efficiency kitchen, and he could have OTC meds in his room, his Rx's were in his room, and given by staff to assure the dosage and times were followed. He had beer and ice cream in the refrigerator, and some snacks in the cabinets, and a bowl of bananas, his favorite "health snack". If he "wasn't feeling up" to going down to meals, they were brought to him, or just a snack if that is what he wanted. If he wanted a big greasy cheeseburger from the joint down the street (they were really great cheese burgers) that was just fine for family to bring in.

Visitors were asked to sign in/out, but it was an honor system.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, nor do I care, nor will I tell you what you should eat, though recently got up on your soap box and told everyone else the evils of dairy and we should all stop consuming it. That is not your choice as far as my choices are concerned. Be careful of what you accuse people of dude.
I'm not sure why you need to "spin" what I said to try and make your point. I just copied and pasted the post you speak about here. How do you deceifer that I'm standing on a soapbox and that I'm telling everyone the "evils" of dairy and that i say people should stop eating it????? I posted an article I read that I thought would be helpful to other people. FYI there are tremendous amounts of people that are seriously allergic to dairy and don't even know it especially young children. Some become "deathly" allergic to an alarming rate actually.
Sorry if that was offensive to you. I appologize.

Below is the paragraph you speak about
>>Oh...and as long as you went off topic a hair I thought I'd just throw this one up for you to take a gander at. I took am vegetarian but eat some fish. Actually I'm macrobiotic. I eat zero processed food, no sugar, eat only whats seasonal and could grow local yada yada yada
Here's a good article I just sent my daughter in Ca. I thought you might be interested in.Or not<<(then I posted the article about how stopping the use of dairy improved the authors health incredably)

Quote:
And I stand by my statement about arrogance behind the locked gates, with the clear message they are the elite, and they do not want us lesser beings coming into their neighborhoods (if a cloister of people hiding behind gates can be considered a neighborhood)
Thats your opinion and I'll honor that but I personally think thats a blanket statement and to me blanket statements offer little...but OK.
And homes that cost under $300,000 are far from being able to call them selves elite and there are plenty in that price range or similar +-

Quote:
How about if I told you I would drive through your neighborhood any time I choose to, but you are not allowed to drive through my neighborhood. A bit elitist or arrogant don't ya think?
No, I don't think EVERYONE that does that is elitist or arrogant...maybe some...maybe not...I probably could answer that question better once I spoke to several of them from varies GC and even then....thats just a few of those people.
There are plenty of places one needs belong to to get into...I can't get into my local YMCA pool unless I pay but I can go to the public pool...so what.
If I wanted to go to the Y...then I'd pay. Personally I could care less...but
thats just me.

I can understand some of your feelings but to me you come off real angry in how definite everything seems to have to be. How everything is either black or white. I might be able to hear your points more clearly if you were more open in your opinions but that might be just my perception. Sorry

And now back to the regular programing

Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
And homes that cost under $300,000 are far from being able to call them selves elite and there are plenty in that price range or similar +-
Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite and does not fall into the narrow criteria you choose to use in your argument of being only the wealthy who are too good to be living in a $300K house. The term elitism is much broader than your point in this discussion, which really invalidates your point don't you think?

Besides it might be their second or third home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina