Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times

Advertisements

Hi there I am out west in a large city too crowded and too expensive. I am retired, single, and a Christian Libertarian type. I like the Libertarian mindset of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming for example. I been out west for many years, but I have a strong New England accent, cause it is where I was raised. Would I fit in around Ashville, and western NC in general? Or would my accent put me in the category of just another yankee, even though I am not a northeastern liberal type, and a church going Christian. Had to ask cause my true love lies in place like Montana, Idaho and etc....but I want a change, and would love to be around some friendlier more sociable human beings opposed to the more reserved and standoffish vibe of the Pacific Northwest. Also with affordability I would like to have some mountains nearby and not such long snowy winters like Montana and Idaho have. It would be nice to also be able to take some trips down to Florida for fun upon occasion. How would western NC potentially treat me? Or is it better to stay out west?

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-14-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM

503 posts, read 926,851 times
There was actually a very strong Yankee sympathizer presence in these mountains during the civil war. People just wanted to be left alone and not be told what to do by a bunch of Confederate lowlanders who were heavily vested in a slave-based economy, and ran around conscripting unwilling mountain folk to fight their war. Most mountain folk had no slaves and therefore no interest. That attitude should jive with your libertarian bent. I can't speak for all of the outsiders, but from what I've gathered over the years, the locals don't really care what you look or sound like as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve. There are many extraordinarily fine people in this area IMO.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Hi there I am out west in a large city too crowded and too expensive. I am retired, single, and a Christian Libertarian type. I like the Libertarian mindset of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming for example. I been out west for many years, but I have a strong New England accent, cause it is where I was raised. Would I fit in around Ashville, and western NC in general? Or would my accent put me in the category of just another damn Yankee, even though I am not a northeastern liberal type, and a church going Christian. Had to ask cause my true love lies in place like Montana, Idaho and etc....but I want a change, and would love to be around some friendlier more sociable human beings opposed to the more reserved and standoffish vibe of the Pacific Northwest. Also with affordability I would like to have some mountains nearby and not such long snowy winters like Montana and Idaho have. It would be nice to also be able to take some trips down to Florida for fun upon occasion. How would western NC potentially treat me? Or is better to stay out west?
I have a New York accent so thick you can cut it with a knife. I fit in just fine. And not just with the other transplants. Had a few encounters with rebel flag flying, tobacco chewing locals and got along just fine with them as well. I have a healthy live and let live attitude. I guess that is the key or me. I am used to bitter north east winters so the winters here are a joke. Hope that my experience helps you with your decision.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:25 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
^^^ What the two posters above wrote.
Imo, you will 'fit in' fine...western NC is a homogenization of people from 'here' for generations, and from all over the US/world.

In any/every place I have been in western NC, regardless of size, I have never encountered any serious confrontation from anyone. No one cares what my background is or was, other than casual chit chat. 30 yrs working from NYC, but no one makes it a situ.

Live and let live, and that is really how western NC is, imo.

If you are coming to the area, it is a Big area to explore with many towns, and Asheville proper with its surrounding towns.
GL, mD

Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 PM

If the housing prices in Montana, and Northern Idaho weren't so high, and the winters so strong, there I would be forever. If the meth problem and crime wasn't so high in Spokane, and the city so depressed, there I would be. Seattle and Portland, both are way too crowded, and the traffic is nightmarish, and the housing is too high. Boise was an option, but has no water, lakes and etc. I considered Fayetteville AR, and Branson MO, but the tornados seem to like those areas too much. I did visit that area though, and thought it was gorgeous. I just want to get along, have some pretty nature, an affordable home with low property taxes, and want to be accepted, and have no problems. Want to not have to worry about excessive crime and auto theft rates and etc. Just want peace, and to be able to live accordingly. Sure is hard though, to leave the mighty western lands, with their low populations and wide open spaces. Thanks for replies. Anyone know about the VA hospital in Asheville? Is it any good? Good rep? There is one there I believe. I was also looking a bit over in the rural areas outside of Louisville KY, as there are tons of lower priced homes with acreage there too. But the beauty aspect would be with western NC.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-14-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM

358 posts, read 786,173 times
" How would western NC potentially treat me?"

I'd say about like we would like to be treated by you. It's the two way street thing here like I believe it is most every where.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
People used to speak well of the VA near Asheville. Can't speak for now. The VA is so overburdened with paperwork and shuffling people through that I am not so sure about it today.

The VA in Mountain City, TN is affiliated with ETSU medical and pharmacy schools. You might want to check that area as well if a low cost quiet area near a VA is interesting to you. Lots of retirees there and if you like boating and fishing, not so bad.

Good luck

Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM

thanks may not be able to leave the west coast though, not sure if I would miss it too much and its libertarian spirit

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-15-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:01 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
You might miss it, different culture than WNC. But people here are mostly live and let live and will give you a chance. More than culture is the wide openess of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming area nothing that expansive here. This is a beautiful area but more of comfortable accessible feel to the mountains than out west. More Country Roads than Rocky Mountain High (the song). BTW meth is a big WNC rural drug it is everywhere

Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM

meth is also a serious issue in the rural areas of the west coast as well, especially up into Spokane WA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina