Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 PM

485 posts, read 561,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
John - Did you know that you can get a Lifetime Fishing License in NC for $250? We have subscribed to the Wildlife in North Carolina magazine - which is a really nice little publication full of good information and stories of hunting and fishing and nature in general - www.ncwildlife.org. The Wildlife Endowment Fund allows the Wildlife Resources Commission to accept tax-deductible contributions for wildlife conservation. Money from the sale of lifetime licenses and lifetime magazine subscriptions is also placed in this fund.
I did not know that - it is great news! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Florida View Post
We are here and arrived almost two weeks ago....movers arrived a week ago and we are still unpacking, but doing pretty good overall.
Our Florida condo we sold closes this week!

Be aware of the internet and cable situations here.....we had a really hard time getting our connections going, all the appointments, waiting on the phone over 40 minutes on hold, etc and our plans were dashed by the satellites being too low in our area to get Dishnetwork or Direct TV....we are in Fletcher and on a cul de sac. We ended up with Mediacom cable internet and it is not reaching across the house to our office. So they are coming out again. Mediacom tv is also out of most of the equipment for DVR players and other things. Just bear with it all!! It's worth it to be here, but don't delay your installs and phone calls to get things done.

You are right we have our internet set up as is the phone (AT&T) and the cable for TV and we will not move until FEB.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:01 AM

70 posts, read 219,509 times
Hi,

We scheduled and booked and planned our internet and phone, etc. over four weeks before our move. The problem here is that they are short of the equipment and if you want Dishnetwork or DirectTV, they have to come out and see if your home can see the satellite signal in the sky. For us, we are so surrounded by trees, they couldn't catch the signal.
Mediacom Cable Internet is GREAT now and they came back out and fixed the signal problem and now it goes all across the entire property.

They are still out of DVR players....installer suggested we buy a TIVO, but that's more pricey and does more than we need. We will try to wait till January.

Also, if you buy property with gas fireplaces, call your local gas company to set up the Safety test and delivery of gas. We couldn't use ours for a week until that was all taken care of. MAINTENANCE is the key here to taking care of these things. We start the renovation on Monday of one of our guest rooms that needs work. We found a wonderful handy man and he's going to knock it all out in a week to get it done before our employee comes up to live in it for three months.

Everyone here has been super helpful!! If the weather will cooperate a little to get some sun again, we would love to take a drive over to Maggie Valley to see the holiday decorations or closer to here, over to Hendersonville. Hmmmmm....thinking Hendersonville probably.

Also, a tip....there is no Costco here, but the Hendersonville SAMS CLUB is convenient and if you go on weekdays, it's EMPTY and easy to shop fast and get out. Actually, most of the shopping at the big stores, Best Buy, Linens and Things, even Target, on the South side where we live, the stores in Arden are empty during the week, but slammed on the weekend.

Happy Holidays from the latest Florida transplants....we Love it here!!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 AM

485 posts, read 561,179 times
Great post, Bye Bye Fla - very helpful. I'll miss COSTCO (member since 1985), but I shall survive with Sams. All the other info is great to know! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 PM

94 posts, read 227,371 times
Default Walmart

I was surprised and a bit disappointed that Walmart seems to be everywhere in WNC, and no Costco. There is alot more to the company besides the low prices. And sometimes they are not the lowest. You might want to look here.

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/change/

Aside from anything discussed there, I think the stores are badly laid out and disorganized, making it hard to find things, and the signs are badly placed. The parking is often not convenient and many do not have automatic doors. Because of these things, and because I don't agree with the way they do things, I would rather go to Target, Costco, and of course, also smaller and local businesses. I think that when they first started, they may have done things differently and had more American products and interests at heart.

Last edited by marian2005; 12-22-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
I was surprised and a bit disappointed that Walmart seems to be everywhere in WNC, and no Costco...I would rather go to Target, Costco, and of course, also smaller and local businesses. I think that when they first started, they may have done things differently and had more American products and interests at heart.
Wal-Mart started in Arkansas so it's no surprise that the chain is more prevalent in the South. Targets are just not as widespread...neither is Costco. And you are right, when the founder, Sam Walton, was alive, the company boasted of having American-made products and not having to wait in a long line for a register. Those days are long gone.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,617 times
Walmart, Target, Costco... I'm sorry, but even their restrooms tell it all... and the difference is huge (in the stores we've experienced). I try to avoid any store that doesn't maintain its customer bathrooms! Maybe that's just me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina