Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM

395 posts, read 463,652 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-
Mortgage is approved, all is full speed ahead (yipee!), and we are planning our move from CT to Hendersonville at the end of this month (big yipee!) and will be moving ourselves (not so yipee-ish). Besides the U-Haul, Budget Truck, etc. route, has anyone made the move themselves and found other options like a company that will drive ones things, but we load and unload ourselves, etc? I looked into MoveAmerica, but their reviews and my experience in trying to talk with someone there live yesterday is making me completely shy away from them. Anyone have any ideas? We'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 AM

679 posts, read 1,463,880 times
We have not used this service, but there are companies that deliver a "pod" to your door, you pack it, then they pick it up, truck it down, and drop it off in your driveway for you to unpack. We once had a neighbor use this when he moved in next door to us and he spoke highly of the entire concept and the company.

If you Google "moving pods" it will return at least two companies that do this.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 47,414 times
I used UPack to move from Cal to Mass a little over a year ago. Was very happy with the service overall and the cost was very competitive. You pay for footage on a full size trailer truck. Ask for a discount and you will probably get it. Found them on this site. Side note - Hope to use them again next year to get the hell out of here and move to Hendersonville also. Called them a month ago for a quote which came in at $2400 for 17' which is enough for a 2 bedroom house.
Good Luck

Old 08-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Thank you, both, for your replies. I called the pod company and they want over $2500 which I can't justify in my head to pay just to have someone else drive our stuff down there. The other company, however, UPack, is a definite possibility. They quoted about $1450 for a 2 bedroom house. Since this is going from CT to WNC, it sounds like you may have gotten too high of a quote, Move On. MA can't be that much more than CT. I asked about going over any feet in space and they said it was $60/foot.
It would be much nicer to drive our dogs down in the same car with us as opposed to towing the car on the back of a u-haul and having the dogs ride in the car on the flatbed. On the other hand, with Upack we will be without our things for at least a couple of days since it takes them 2-4 business days to bring the load to the new house which is an inconvenience as well as uncomfortable with sleeping on the floor, etc. And with 4 large dogs, there won't be any extra room in our minivan to bring air mattresses and blankets and such.
Well, at least now we have a choice between 2 feasible options. Thank you very much for your replies!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 AM

2,617 posts, read 2,305,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Thank you, both, for your replies. I called the pod company and they want over $2500 which I can't justify in my head to pay just to have someone else drive our stuff down there. The other company, however, UPack, is a definite possibility. They quoted about $1450 for a 2 bedroom house. Since this is going from CT to WNC, it sounds like you may have gotten too high of a quote, Move On. MA can't be that much more than CT. I asked about going over any feet in space and they said it was $60/foot.
It would be much nicer to drive our dogs down in the same car with us as opposed to towing the car on the back of a u-haul and having the dogs ride in the car on the flatbed. On the other hand, with Upack we will be without our things for at least a couple of days since it takes them 2-4 business days to bring the load to the new house which is an inconvenience as well as uncomfortable with sleeping on the floor, etc. And with 4 large dogs, there won't be any extra room in our minivan to bring air mattresses and blankets and such.
Well, at least now we have a choice between 2 feasible options. Thank you very much for your replies!
I don't think you can have the dogs ride in the car on a flat bed truck? How would they get air? Did I misunderstand you?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM

24 posts, read 45,220 times
Default Self moving

The ABF company offers that type of self moving. I looked into it and chose a full service mover due to having a bad back and not wanting to do a lot of heavy lifting. The move from VT to Asheville was about $10,000 for a 3 bedroom house. Although the amount of stuff we had filled up a 3000 sq ft house so maybe we had more than the typical homeowner. Our move was also more due to the need to shuttle from the large truck to a smaller one to make it up the steep driveway.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,572,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post

Do you have a friend who could drive the Penske truck? and you drive your own van with the dogs ? My friend just did that from NH to FL, sold as much as they weren't going to use, and spent $2100 for the Penske.

Please, do NOT transport your pets alone in your van on a flat bed, it is not humane. In addition to the heat build up in the van, a flatbed will bounce them around unmercifully, and they will get scared and nervous and could suffer a heart attack. I can't believe anyone would even consider that. It's most likely not even legal. Would you put 4 children in a car on a flatbed alone?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,305,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Do you have a friend who could drive the Penske truck? and you drive your own van with the dogs ? My friend just did that from NH to FL, sold as much as they weren't going to use, and spent $2100 for the Penske.

Please, do NOT transport your pets alone in your van on a flat bed, it is not humane. In addition to the heat build up in the van, a flatbed will bounce them around unmercifully, and they will get scared and nervous and could suffer a heart attack. I can't believe anyone would even consider that. It's most likely not even legal. Would you put 4 children in a car on a flatbed alone?
I agree with QC. It is not safe at all. And I doubt is is legal either.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 PM

After much phone calling to different people, we finally got it figured out. We are having UPack drive our stuff down while the rest of us drive down split among 2 minivans. Thank you again, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina