Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 PM

492 posts, read 406,939 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate your comments and recommendations on living in an RV while exploring retirement locales in the Asheville area and in NE Tennessee. Can you suggest RV parks? Names of any I should avoid? Unexpected problems and surprises you encountered? What would you do differently if you were again to live in an RV while searching for your new home?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 06:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
I think Maggie Valley NC had some RV parks, some were retiree, part time residence type park models.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:21 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,620,372 times
Here is a Yahoo Search list for 'Waynesville/MV', mostly Waynesville, though the road, 276, they are on is just west of Maggie Valley.

Pride is the biggest, and while I have never RV'd, some friends have stayed there and felt it was first class. WinnGray is good too, though 'tighter' to enter/exit, but a more cozy down by the river location.

MV is 10 mins to the west, but much less downtown, while Waynesville is ~15 mins to that downtown, which is the real deal. I-40 is 5 mins north of those RV parks, and access to much of western NC is close by, via I-40 or US 23/74, the hillbilly bypass. Eastern TN is 30 mins west, via I-40, etc. Asheville is 35 mins east of those RV parks via I-40...

Asheville or TN, I can't help, though the web will give many options.
GL, mD

rv parks in waynesville nc - Yahoo Search Results

Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
I would appreciate your comments and recommendations on living in an RV while exploring retirement locales in the Asheville area and in NE Tennessee. Can you suggest RV parks? Names of any I should avoid? Unexpected problems and surprises you encountered? What would you do differently if you were again to live in an RV while searching for your new home?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!

Very nice RV campground/park well located near I-26 and about 15 mins. to downtown Asheville,
and I-40; near all shopping and amenities. Highly recommended:

Luxury RV Resort North Carolina - RV Campground - Asheville, North Carolina

The above is open year 'round.

Are you in a motorhome or 5th wheel? Just make sure it's well insulated for this area if you are planning winter camping. I would stay away from any national parks' campgrounds because you will need full hook-up and you don't want to haul it uphill. Also very important if you are here to search for property, make sure you have good cell phone service. We stayed in a few places while house hunting where we had literally no service and had to get in the car and drive a distance to get service. Verizon is the most widely used here.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 12-26-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,634,381 times
From my experience RV park is an RV park. We're now in KOA near Murphy while we do renovations. During the winter time they're quiet. If its not in a resort town then I notice those have longer-term people who work a 9-5 nearby and they're more settled and quiet. I've seen prices from 180+electric to 429 including everything. Cheaper ones are probably more outside the resort towns and off a country road in close proximity to manufactured homes. Some are super nice paved lots, room for 2 big vehicles, but cost more.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM

41 posts, read 105,318 times
I suggest The Village of Wildflowers in Flat Rock, NC. I have stayed there twice in their Park Models and will host a camping rally there in October. They have RV sites and Park Models for sale and rent. It's a nice jumping off point for researching the NC area and is where I will stay to find my own place once I'm ready to move from Atlanta.

*****The Village of Wildflowers

Old 08-06-2014, 01:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLeigh View Post
I suggest The Village of Wildflowers in Flat Rock, NC. I have stayed there twice in their Park Models and will host a camping rally there in October. They have RV sites and Park Models for sale and rent. It's a nice jumping off point for researching the NC area and is where I will stay to find my own place once I'm ready to move from Atlanta.

*****The Village of Wildflowers

The "Wildflower" park model business is out of business from what I hear. The only option in there are the RV sites which are close together. No big deal in there, kind of a low end struggling operation.

For a nice RV park with a lake, investigate Rutledge Lake RV Park in Fletcher. The best around. I have a friend who has a darling park model RV for sale in there for around $48K currently rented, for how long I don't know yet.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
From my experience RV park is an RV park. We're now in KOA near Murphy while we do renovations. During the winter time they're quiet. If its not in a resort town then I notice those have longer-term people who work a 9-5 nearby and they're more settled and quiet. I've seen prices from 180+electric to 429 including everything. Cheaper ones are probably more outside the resort towns and off a country road in close proximity to manufactured homes. Some are super nice paved lots, room for 2 big vehicles, but cost more.
Got to disagree about an RV park is an RV park. Most of the time the old saying, "you get what you pay for" is correct when it comes to RV parks. We've had bad electric bust our inverter three times. We've had neighbor RV campers crawl on the top of our rig! We've had drug dealers next to us. And we've paid from 250.00 to 1400.00 a month for those privileges. (Although not that much in N.C.!)

OP, we did the exact thing your doing. We parked at Rivers Mountain Edge RV park in Murphy and scoured the area for quite a while. Ended up buying just south of Murphy into Georgia, but living in your RV gives you the time to really get to know the area. Depending on your situation, one thing you are going to want to watch for is getting your RV to your property if your not going to "store" it. We were adamant about being able to have our RV at our property so be sure to check out any and all covenants and restrictions of your potential properties, and also watch for all the obstacles of getting the RV to the property (i.e. grade, low weight bridges, tight turns, etc. Remember if your bringing your rig home in winter conditions for some reason that what is easy in the summer may not be easy in the winter) We had to come in one January and had some issues even with the small grade to our place.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Very nice RV campground/park well located near I-26 and about 15 mins. to downtown Asheville,
and I-40; near all shopping and amenities. Highly recommended:

Luxury RV Resort North Carolina - RV Campground - Asheville, North Carolina

The above is open year 'round.
You beat me to it! I was going to suggest this one too. I've never stayed there myself but I've driven by there several times and I always thought it was a nice looking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina