Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 03:35 AM

22 posts, read 79,017 times

Advertisements

I currently still live in my hometown on the coast of North Carolina, where I’ve pretty much been most of my life. Right now…I just need a change in scenery. I’ve been contemplating for awhile now about moving away…no where in particular but at least still within the state. I’ve been researching all over, and it seems that the far northwest mountain area (i.e. Boone) has been holding my interest. I mean lets face it: I’ve never liked the beach and it might not be so bad seeing snow every now and then, as well as not having to deal with the excruciating summer heat. I’ll be finishing up my degree this year so I’m hoping to start my career somewhere new. I’m going into law enforcement so I’m not too concerned with the job market…but it does, however, put time pressure on me as I’ll need to look into the departments (BLET vs. department academy). What I’m mainly concerned about is the cost and quality of living. A smaller township outside a city would be nice. I am also a single mother to a 6-year-old, so a kid friendly environment is a must. I plan on renting first, preferably privately but I know I have to be flexible on that. I'd like to find a place where it snows enough to be enjoyable but not a hassle. Out here the very idea of possible snowfall causes for school and road closings (which usually happens twice a year, but I haven't seen a snowflake in several years...and even then it melted when it hit the ground). Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm more interested in the northwest parts, but open other areas in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,472 times
School closings and delays happen all the time in this part of the state. I remember our first winter here, in Asheville, in 2002. 10 snow days. We had maybe 20 inches of snow, total. Like 8 closings the next year, and there have been fewer since, due to the lack of snow. Snow (sometimes even flurries) will close schools here. It doesn't take much at all. I remember a 7 inch forecasted snowfall from two winters ago. We got nothing. Nada. Zilch. They closed schools anyway. Flurries will cause at least a two hour delay, and schools north of Asheville (Yancey, Mitchell Counties) seem to get delayed or cancelled once a week, this time of year. I would do some research on the Boone schools if I were you to see just how many times school has been cancelled over the last few years. Unfortunately, dealing with that stuff isn't easy as a single parent, I did it for years.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:33 PM

148 posts, read 585,134 times
Boone and Blowing Rock are both nice, but it can expensive living up there, especially on a LEO income. Area's a little further south might be more affordable, and don't have much snow - Morganton, Lenoir, or Marion [the cities themselves aren't really mountain living, but there are some nice areas around them that still have that "mountain living" feel without being as expensive as the high country, while being within and hour of the resort areas if you do decide to go skiing, hiking, mountainbiking, etc]. The only thing about the lower areas is that it still can get pretty hot in winter, and you don't have the cooling affect of the ocean [I moved here from Morehead City, and ended up living between Morganton & Lenoir because we couldn't afford to live in Watauga County when I first got married]. If you want to stay in the mountains, there are some affordable places near Spruce Pine and in certain areas of Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey Counties, but plan to have a lot more snow and ice as you go farther west.

I'm not sure if you've looked into many local departments, or what type of law enforcement you're interested in, but be aware that most small town departments do not pay very well, and almost all will require BLET [Western Piedmont Community College in Morganton has one of the best BLET programs in the area]. County sheriff's departments tend to pay a little better, but some still have a "good ol' boy" system as far as getting in. With a degree, the best pay is going for a state agency, like NC wildlife/forestry or the highway patrol, but it can be competitive, and takes a while to get on. If you're interested in corrections, the NC DOC is always hiring, and there are several prisons in the area [2 in Spruce Pine, 1 in Caldwell County, 2 in Morganton, 1 in Marion] - it can be a tedious job, but the pay and benefits beat most local police departments.

One thing to keep in mind when renting, especially near Boone, is that a lot of apartments and rental companies cater mainly to college students, and you may not want your child in that environment, so I'd ask the rental company about it, and then check out the rental on a Thursday night and a weekend to be sure it's the kind of placed you'd be comfortable in.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
School closings and delays happen all the time in this part of the state. I remember our first winter here, in Asheville, in 2002. 10 snow days. We had maybe 20 inches of snow, total. Like 8 closings the next year, and there have been fewer since, due to the lack of snow. Snow (sometimes even flurries) will close schools here. It doesn't take much at all. I remember a 7 inch forecasted snowfall from two winters ago. We got nothing. Nada. Zilch. They closed schools anyway. Flurries will cause at least a two hour delay, and schools north of Asheville (Yancey, Mitchell Counties) seem to get delayed or cancelled once a week, this time of year. I would do some research on the Boone schools if I were you to see just how many times school has been cancelled over the last few years. Unfortunately, dealing with that stuff isn't easy as a single parent, I did it for years.
[SIZE=2]Wow, I think I had a premature assumption that the western part of the state was more tolerant with the snow as far as shutting things down. Regardless, it's not such a focal point that I would be too disappointed about. I'd like to see a decent amount of snow maybe once or twice a year, possibly in a town outside a larger to mid-sized city. Snow doesn't bother me, just that when we are supposed to get it out here, they make such a big deal about it. I can remember maybe 2 worth seeing when I was growing up, but never enough to actually play in. The only one worth anything was the "big snow of '88." I'm 25 now and the last snow I remember seeing here was maybe my freshman or sophomore year of high school. When I got married, I briefly moved to Norfolk, VA. It snowed once but my husband wouldn't let me go outside because I was 9-months pregnant and had a cold. So all I got to do was stand in the window and watch him and our friends have snowball fights. I still remember pouting the rest of that week, lol. I think I'll take your advice on doing some research on the school closings out there. I didn't think that past closings could tell me a lot about the area, so I'm gonna start looking at the schools for the surrounding counties. How about the crime rate out west? Not from the LEO perspective, but in regards to my son. Are there a lot of youth programs available? Out here they have programs but they aren't necessarily publicized...I only found out about them by doing research for a class I was taking. I understand each city funds these programs differently, but any idea of an area that is more encouraging for these programs?
[/SIZE]

Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine Carraway View Post
Boone and Blowing Rock are both nice, but it can expensive living up there, especially on a LEO income. Area's a little further south might be more affordable, and don't have much snow - Morganton, Lenoir, or Marion [the cities themselves aren't really mountain living, but there are some nice areas around them that still have that "mountain living" feel without being as expensive as the high country, while being within and hour of the resort areas if you do decide to go skiing, hiking, mountainbiking, etc]. The only thing about the lower areas is that it still can get pretty hot in winter, and you don't have the cooling affect of the ocean [I moved here from Morehead City, and ended up living between Morganton & Lenoir because we couldn't afford to live in Watauga County when I first got married]. If you want to stay in the mountains, there are some affordable places near Spruce Pine and in certain areas of Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey Counties, but plan to have a lot more snow and ice as you go farther west.

I'm not sure if you've looked into many local departments, or what type of law enforcement you're interested in, but be aware that most small town departments do not pay very well, and almost all will require BLET [Western Piedmont Community College in Morganton has one of the best BLET programs in the area]. County sheriff's departments tend to pay a little better, but some still have a "good ol' boy" system as far as getting in. With a degree, the best pay is going for a state agency, like NC wildlife/forestry or the highway patrol, but it can be competitive, and takes a while to get on. If you're interested in corrections, the NC DOC is always hiring, and there are several prisons in the area [2 in Spruce Pine, 1 in Caldwell County, 2 in Morganton, 1 in Marion] - it can be a tedious job, but the pay and benefits beat most local police departments.

One thing to keep in mind when renting, especially near Boone, is that a lot of apartments and rental companies cater mainly to college students, and you may not want your child in that environment, so I'd ask the rental company about it, and then check out the rental on a Thursday night and a weekend to be sure it's the kind of placed you'd be comfortable in.
[SIZE=2]I'll have to check into those areas some more. I've been working with the local department out here (up until a year ago to concentrate more on school) as an auxiliary officer so I have a bit of hands-on experience. They offered to sponsor me and I intended on staying with them, but I'm now realizing I just don't want to be here anymore. Law enforcement isn't one of those careers where you can expect top notch pay, so I don't expect to find anything too fabulous. I would expect the "good 'ol boy" attitude. That's one of the reasons I never considered the Sheriff's Department here...there's not one female deputy on the road. The Sheriff doesn't believe in it. If he hires a female, he usually places her on administrative duties. I'm in Onslow County right now and the Sheriff's Department isn't anything to brag about that's for sure (Morehead City isn't far from me, so you may have already heard rumors and they're probably all true, lol). I hear NC Highway Patrol is one of the best in the nation, and would be honored to get on with them, but I don't feel it's for me. City policing has a broader area of duties. I'd like to find a smaller city or decent sized town. I'll have to look into NCDOC once I figure out about where I'm headed. Policing is what I want to do, but would be open to corrections under the right conditions. I'm supposed to be in BLET this August, but I'm watching for the possibility I'll find department with their own academy -- but then again seeing that I'm not really looking into major city departments I should probably continue on with my initial plans. I don't think I want to be right smack in the middle of the mountains, but close enough to enjoy them at arms reach. Thanks for the advice about the college-tenant geared places. I certainly don't need drama living around constant parties. I think what I really want more than anything is just a quiet and content community. From what I've been reading on past posts, Morganton seems to be a nice place. I'm gonna do some research on some of the towns and counties you mentioned as well as some of the prisons. I'll more than likely have more specific questions on those areas, and I'll post them up here. Thank you so much for the advice...at least I have an idea of what more to focus on.
[/SIZE]

Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Dear AMC,
You might want to look at Hickory, NC. It is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, along I-40 going towards Asheville before the road gets steep, it has snow but not a bunch. Boone is northwest of there, just an hour's straight drive from Hickory, so you can take a little vacation up there in winter and get snowed in and it won't matter. Also, the Morganton police academy mentioned in previous posts is west of Hickory, just a half-hour all freeway.

Hickory is a large "small town," very good shopping, family neighborhoods with sidewalks and schools in walking distance, some nice suburbs, plenty of lake activities, horseback riding, trails, a few parks. They also have ice skating, a three-acre aboretum, Farmer's Market, parades, music and theater, Nascar, several private schools in addition to public, and a couple colleges. There's even a historical covered bridge out in Catawba County. Average income for police officer is $30,000, you can find a decent home for less than $150,000, the more you put down, the lower your payment, between 10 and 20 percent and you'll be in the $800 per month range (not including insurance). My understanding is Hickory also has some real nice rental buildings, some with garages.

To get there, you can either go 74 most of the way and get up onto 40 in Charlotte, or go 40 all the way and past busy Statesville, and when you can see the mountains, you're getting close to Hickory. It has several exits, choose Hwy 321 off to the right. Go north into Hickory a short distance, take a right on 2nd Avenue, then a left on 2nd Street. This "T" arrangement is how you get thru Hickory. Just drive on up that road until it gets more residential, cut over to the left, check out a few side streets, go as far as the lake, then somehow make your way down and over to 321 again. You can then drive north on 321 right on up to Boone (via Lenoir) and check it out, too, just to get an eyefull of the beauty in the northwest part of the state, your original idea.

I would also suggest you look at Chapel Hill, NC, which is not in the mountains. Get off 40 in or after Raleigh and find your way over there, several ways to go. I'm sure you are aware the very old and prestigious University of North Carolina is centered there, very pretty town, not too big, woodsy and hilly, they have a little snow. Big shopping malls on the north side of Raleigh so you don't have to drive thru that big city, takes 30 minutes to get to them from Chapel Hill.

Hope this helps. Would be nice if others who live in Hickory can post here.
GG

Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear AMC,
You might want to look at Hickory, NC. It is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, along I-40 going towards Asheville before the road gets steep, it has snow but not a bunch. Boone is northwest of there, just an hour's straight drive from Hickory, so you can take a little vacation up there in winter and get snowed in and it won't matter. Also, the Morganton police academy mentioned in previous posts is west of Hickory, just a half-hour all freeway.

Hickory is a large "small town," very good shopping, family neighborhoods with sidewalks and schools in walking distance, some nice suburbs, plenty of lake activities, horseback riding, trails, a few parks. They also have ice skating, a three-acre aboretum, Farmer's Market, parades, music and theater, Nascar, several private schools in addition to public, and a couple colleges. There's even a historical covered bridge out in Catawba County. Average income for police officer is $30,000, you can find a decent home for less than $150,000, the more you put down, the lower your payment, between 10 and 20 percent and you'll be in the $800 per month range (not including insurance). My understanding is Hickory also has some real nice rental buildings, some with garages.

To get there, you can either go 74 most of the way and get up onto 40 in Charlotte, or go 40 all the way and past busy Statesville, and when you can see the mountains, you're getting close to Hickory. It has several exits, choose Hwy 321 off to the right. Go north into Hickory a short distance, take a right on 2nd Avenue, then a left on 2nd Street. This "T" arrangement is how you get thru Hickory. Just drive on up that road until it gets more residential, cut over to the left, check out a few side streets, go as far as the lake, then somehow make your way down and over to 321 again. You can then drive north on 321 right on up to Boone (via Lenoir) and check it out, too, just to get an eyefull of the beauty in the northwest part of the state, your original idea.

I would also suggest you look at Chapel Hill, NC, which is not in the mountains. Get off 40 in or after Raleigh and find your way over there, several ways to go. I'm sure you are aware the very old and prestigious University of North Carolina is centered there, very pretty town, not too big, woodsy and hilly, they have a little snow. Big shopping malls on the north side of Raleigh so you don't have to drive thru that big city, takes 30 minutes to get to them from Chapel Hill.

Hope this helps. Would be nice if others who live in Hickory can post here.
GG

I've heard some good things about Hickory too. If I'm not mistaken, isn't it known for some furniture factories? Or is that just High Point? I used to work for the largest furniture chain out here, and I think we may have gotten some of our furniture from there. My family used to be members of the First Church of God here in Jacksonville and I used to be very involved with our small youth group. We used to do get-togethers with the other churches throughout the state, though we were the only ones this far east. I went to church camp in Chapel Hill once, but really don't remember much about the area. Then we had a ski trip in Banner Elk, and it was simply beautiful up there. And then a time we went to a convention in Cinncinnati, and had to pass through the mountains to get there. Those are the only times I've been out that far, and loved what I saw but never had the chance to actually enjoy and take in the experience of just being there. I did make quite a few friends from the Morganton and Hickory churches (as a matter of fact one of my first "boyfriends" was from Hickory). But once our family detached ourselves from the church, I just kind of lost touch with them. Is Morganton warmer than Hickory? Hickory might be what I'm looking for. I want the small-town feel, but I also want a Wal-Mart with arms reach, so to speak (what can I say, I'm a Wal-Mart nut...though outhere it's almost unbearable to shop there because of the over-crowded military population we have here). I wish I still kept in touch with those people, because I sure could have used them right now. I do appreciate all the info I'm receiving up here though.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Dear AMC,
Yes, the furniture stores are also in Hickory. They've got a huge furniture discount mall, all the stores are decorated so nicely, lots of little goodies to buy for the home besides couches and chairs. People drive from all over, just to go to Hickory and buy furniture.

Morganton and Hickory are considered "spitting" distance to each other, on the same horizontal plane, same vertical level, so weather is identical. Hickory is bigger. There is a Walmart in Hickory, as well as a regular mall, and other stores you're used to. The proximity to Boone and its cousin Banner Elk is really ideal for you. I agree, it's so beautiful up there, I loved it too when I used to live there. Maybe you could fit in with the Boone forestry type folk, altho those jobs are competitive, someone else mentioned forestry here, and the town is so small, even if it snowed you could live in walking distance to any school your child might want to attend... but someone from Boone can probably post here in more detail about the proximity of elementary schools to neighborhoods. Also, many people in the mountains have chains in their trunk and all-season tires, lots of SUVs.

I live in Asheville now. There's snow outside this morning. Our roadway is covered, but the grass is still peeking thru (altho we're terrible about mowing our lawn...ha!). I imagine Boone is covered up. See can you find out if anything fell in Hickory or Morganton online. The weather system came from the northwest, might have been slowed down by the Smokies and Blue Ridge before it got down to them, I don't know. When the systems come from the south, once in a while they'll get some and we won't. But in any case, it's enough degrees warmer down there than up here, so they don't get as much snow. But it is cooler and dryer there than over on the coast.
GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina