Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You're a politically conservative, artistic conservationist?

Instead of talking in code words and labels, why don't you just plainly state what you're looking for? Somewhere thats all white, homophobic and has a high percentage of NRA members? Somewhere with an active KKK chapter? A town that broadcasts Rush Limbaugh's show over loudspeakers at the town park? A place where only the rich have health care and everyone talks about how evil the "gubmint" is?

Have you considered Alabama?
If I wanted to go to Alabama, I would have sent a note to a town blog in Alabama. You, dawg are making many assumptions--sorry you have such an attitude about other people who are making inquiries about a location to retire. Much luck and good will to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I was thinking the same thing!

OP.....best move on from the Western NC/Tennessee area if "safe from criminality" is high on your list. The area you are looking at has more gun nuts than just about any area in the US. Artistic/creative are not words you hear often spoken.

Maybe think about living in the burbs/communities surrounding a University town. You'd get some diversity/creative thinking, plus a fair dose of Tea Party.
Thank you Ted Bear, I appreciate your feedback.....when you say gun nuts, what exactly do you mean; hunters or nutjobs with guns!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times
Foolish demeaning comment by CarolineDawg2.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Scarlet Dove, I'm a bleeding heart liberal, but I'll give you an honest and friendly tip. (And yes, there are plenty of conservatives in the NC mountains.) You can google "election results by county 2012" and see which counties in NC and TN and VA had the highest percentage of voters for Republican candidates. I can tell you right now you will want to steer clear of Buncombe and Watauga counties and you may want to avoid being too close to Asheville and Boone in general if being near liberals and progressives is too annoying for you. Both are pretty left-leaning. Some people call Asheville the Portland of the east.

Southwest VA might work for you, too. It's pretty conservative there.
Thanks Poppydog, I appreciate your cut-to-the-chase honesty and your suggestions. I happen to want to be in a more conservative, laid back area for retirement; my long time home is 3/4 mile from DC, it is busy, traffic is heavy and I don't want to live in this kind of environment at this time of my life. Thanks once again!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:22 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletDove View Post
If I wanted to go to Alabama, I would have sent a note to a town blog in Alabama. You, dawg are making many assumptions--sorry you have such an attitude about other people who are making inquiries about a location to retire. Much luck and good will to you!
No, not making any assumptions...just attempting to summarize what you said and seek some clarity from you. In the absence of clarification, I still think AL is a good suggestion.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 09-01-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The recent posts are in reply to Scarlet Dove, who posted around 2:30 pm today. The original post is very old, yes, I missed that also; so sue me.

I don't see why posters are jumping on this poster to the extent I've read here. All the person said was that he is 'conservative'. He said nothing whatsoever about KKK or race. As for crime, it's everywhere, no getting away from it. Just because he said his ancestors settled certain parts of Maryland, sounds to me like the snotty remarks could be pointed at Baltimore ?

Geesh, give the guy a break, he asked a simple question and is now dodging rotten tomatoes.

I didn't see anything at all in the Scarlet Dove poster's question that deserved such one-sided attacks.
Chick, the post is not old, I posted this last week in August 2015. Thanks

Old 09-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks Poppydog, I appreciate your cut-to-the-chase honesty and your suggestions. I happen to want to be in a more conservative, laid back area for retirement; my long time home is 3/4 mile from DC, it is busy, traffic is heavy and I don't want to live in this kind of environment at this time of my life. Thanks once again!
If you wanted to go to SW Virginia, wouldn't you have sent a note to a town blog in Virginia?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
Foolish demeaning comment by CarolineDawg2.
Thank you Joan2064!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Would Brevard area have a healthy mix of conservatives AND liberals and non-political types? I'm looking for a Goldilocks community where people don't act "jerk-ish" to each other.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
As a conservative I am looking for western, NC locations to retire. I am leaving the extremely left progressive Montgomery County, MD where my ancestors started developing MD back in the 1600's but with the takeover of the left, it has deteriorated for decades. I want to be in a place where this kind of deterioration does not take place, and want a conservative area that is safe from criminality. Have been looking at Brevard since I have an artistic/creative background, but need to know its politics, conservative or liberal? I am more interested in the environment, forest, outdoors and convenience of town and medical care. Thank you for any suggestions.
I read these threads to get my laugh for the day. Brevard will be perfect for you. Asheville has excellent medical help. I know that because friends went on vacation to the area and the husband had a heart problem. Mountain people are independent and expect others to be also. Politics might matter in Durham but in the mountains nobody cares.

//www.city-data.com/city/Brevar...-Carolina.html Crime rate is a low 205. Politics Romney 58%/Obama 41%. Other facts on the website too.

We like to visit churches when we go on vacation. We left Sapphire Valley and came to Brevard just about church time. It was a Baptist church and it was youth day. Most beautiful music I think I have ever heard from a children's choir. Well of course--it was in Brevard. The town of music and art.

Last edited by NCN; 09-01-2015 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina