Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
I'm thinking about taking a few friends skiing this winter. I know how (actually I prefer snowboarding), but my friends have never skiied.

Would Winterplace/green still be a better choice than the NC slopes if you're taking beginners?
For your friends, it probably won't matter all that much. Just make sure the sign up for lessons. Whatever you do, don't try to teach them yourself! Everyone will have a much better time.

Alpine Ski Shop used to and may still run a day trip to Wintergreen (I think - its been a long time since I went on one of these trips). You can sleep on the ride up, ski into the early evening, and get some rest on the return trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
I've never been to winterplace, but of the slopes we have here in NC I like sugar best. The only bad thing is that in the name of opening early they are open on days early in the season that no one should ever be skiing/snowboarding on with minimal coverage at any price.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:43 AM

115 posts, read 395,685 times
Beware of the ski mountains around Boone on holidays. Sugar gets absolutely jam packed...parking very far away (it can take an hour to get from the lot, onto a shuttle, and to the base), huge ticket lines, huge rental lines, huge lift lines, people that don't know what they're doing falling all around you, etc. And when it gets icy late in the afternoon, there will be redneck missiles flying at you from all directions. I went to grad school in Boone, and skiing Sugar on a Tuesday morning when it's snowing is absolutely fantastic. I quit going on the weekends. Ticket prices are a little ridiculous too.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Alpine Ski Shop used to and may still run a day trip to Wintergreen (I think - its been a long time since I went on one of these trips). You can sleep on the ride up, ski into the early evening, and get some rest on the return trip.
For those who are interested, the daytrips are run by Slope and Sail Tours, who have an "office" in Alpine Ski Shop near where the skiis are for sale. But plan to arrive early and sleep on the bus - the bus leaves at 4:30am. It does give you a full day's skiing, though.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I learned at Wintergreen without much problem, although I am still not very good lol. There were manageable slopes though for noobs, and the tubing was great!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
If you just have to have your skiing fix and don't want to drive that far, there is a place just north of Asheville - Wolf something - and one in Maggie Valley.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 AM

62 posts, read 406,860 times
Wolf Ridge?
Of the local ones I like Sugar the best. Previous posts about crowds are right on. If you can go during the week or a non-holiday weekend it isn't bad at all. I think Appalachian is pretty boring. Last time I was there (several years ago) it was basically one really wide run that was split into several "trails".
This site has tons of info on the local ski scene in NC, conditions, web cams etc etc etc.

North Carolina Ski Resorts, Ski Resorts in North Carolina, Skiing in North Carolina

Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 AM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JebediahScooter View Post
Beware of the ski mountains around Boone on holidays. Sugar gets absolutely jam packed...parking very far away (it can take an hour to get from the lot, onto a shuttle, and to the base), huge ticket lines, huge rental lines, huge lift lines, people that don't know what they're doing falling all around you, etc. And when it gets icy late in the afternoon, there will be redneck missiles flying at you from all directions. I went to grad school in Boone, and skiing Sugar on a Tuesday morning when it's snowing is absolutely fantastic. I quit going on the weekends. Ticket prices are a little ridiculous too.
Saturdays and holidays are awful at sugar. If you come down Northridge from the top at Sugar you will have to navigate the crowd of people that hang out and block the way down the mountain when it comes back into Upper flying mile. It's also more expensive for a Saturday lift ticket at Sugar than it is for a lift ticket to Sierra at Tahoe in Cali. Pathetic when you consider the quality of conditions (1200ft vertical versus 2000+ft and 80in of snow per year vs 420).

Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 PM

32 posts, read 92,672 times
Default Appalachian

I have to agree that Appalachain is a pretty good place to take beginners. One of the pluses is that in Boone there are lots of diversions from the slopes, should one of the beginners decide that skiing is not for them.... plus a little night life for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina