Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM

57 posts, read 261,836 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 years old and thinking about moving to Asheville with my boyfriend next fall. We currently live in downtown Baltimore, but I grew up in the woods on a mt. top near Pittsburgh. We want the best of both worlds - city life close by (great/non-chain restaurants, bars, music scene, theatre, culture, history, art), but live in the woods/mountains. We are looking to initially rent , up to $1400 rent per month.

We will have a job wherever we go b/c he works for Enterprise and I work from home.

We are super outdoorsy - snowboarding, hiking, boating, climbing, but love city events, concerts, festivals, wineries. I need to live in a beautiful area with lots to do. Is Asheville the type of city I'm looking for with the peace of the woods and convenience of city fun???

We are planning a visit in the spring. Any specific areas to check out?

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
Based on what you described, I think Asheville would be perfect for you. You've got the job thing covered, which for many is a major inhibitor to moving here. We probably don't have the Baltimore nightlife, but we have enough options for most, including music, theatre and art. And of course there's rafting, hiking, biking, camping, national forests all around us. I think you'll be able to find a nice place within your budget.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM

44 posts, read 183,444 times
We looked at Asheville this summer (March). Most of the restaurants were closed for the season.
We noticed an above average number of unsavory drifter types in the downtown area. Some of the locals refer to outsiders as "half-backs". They move from the NE to Florida, get sick of the hot weather, bugs, etc and move half way back. Most of the locals we ran into were polite enough, but I wouldn't count on many of them to help me out if my car got stuck.

Asheville has been named in many mags,etc as one of the top 50 places to retire.

For us, no thanks.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,460 times
Last time I checked March was not considered Summer?? I have been in Asheville at all times of year and have never found restaurants to be closed -except for Easter? I think that Asheville would be perfect for you lola - Every city has its drawbacks - as you know living in Baltimore - The people that we have met have been friendly and helpful. Yes they are more reserved than say Midwesterners - but don't mistake that for unwelcoming. I always feel tha you get what you give - so if you have a positive outlook and demeanor than that's what you will attract. I suggest you make a lot of visits and check out lots of areas - but for $1400 you should have no problem - Also there are new condos in Marshall that are really sweet - exposed brick and wood floors and granite, etc. and they go for about that much (maybe less) they are in the old drover's rest stop on the French Broad - check it out - Drover's Rest* ::* Marshall, NC* ::* 828-254-0665 - Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM

57 posts, read 261,836 times
thanks for all great responses! much appreciated! can't wait to take a visit...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Map View Post
We looked at Asheville this summer (March). Most of the restaurants were closed for the season.
HUH? I don't believe there is a single restaurant in Asheville that is seasonal. Further west in little places like Murphy, Franklin, or Bryson City yes, but not in Asheville.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 44,967 times
I grew up in Baltimore. Downtown Asheville is almost as interesting as Dundalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina